Meet Sheryl Swoopes at the Basketball Hall of Fame | The Boneyard

Meet Sheryl Swoopes at the Basketball Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just thought I'd post this, if you would like to meet a true legend of the women's game and of course see all the great things inside the Naismith Hall of Fame in Springfield, tomorrow is the day.

Swoopes will be there at 1 pm ET, free with HOF entry.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Wish I still lived in Mass; I would definitely stop by!

Come to think of it, as I read the OP and thought about Swoopes, I think she would be in my all-time starting 5 for women's hoops.

How about this group?

G - Cynthia Cooper
G - Diana Taurasi
F - Sheryl Swoopes
F - Cheryl Miller
C - Lisa Leslie

Reaction Score
Wish I still lived in Mass; I would definitely stop by!

Come to think of it, as I read the OP and thought about Swoopes, I think she would be in my all-time starting 5 for women's hoops.

How about this group?

G - Cynthia Cooper
G - Diana Taurasi
F - Sheryl Swoopes
F - Cheryl Miller
C - Lisa Leslie

Incredibly, three of the players you mentioned matriculated at USC.

Ms Swoopes by virtue of awards, championships, accomplishments, domination, ability, and prowess at both ends of the floor is the greatest women's basketball player of all time.

Reaction Score
Boy, it's tough...sure hard to leave Nancy Lieberman, Anne Donovan and others off.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
(my) 2nd team All-Time:

G - Nancy Lieberman
G - Sue Bird
F - Chamique Holdsclaw
F - Lauren Jackson
C - Anne Donovan

I am not including players like Maya, Griner, CP3 and many others who still have quite a few years left in their professional careers (God willing).

3rd team:

G - Teresa Edwards
G - Seimone Augustus
G/F - Katie Smith
F - Tamika Catchings
C - ?

Last edited:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
cool I wished I could be there to meet her. One of the best to ever play.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Your lists catch some essentials of the great players. As always, however, it is difficult to compare players who played not only in different eras, but who excelled (more) as a pro vs. college vs. international. For example, though not shabby few would include Holdsclaw based on her pro career.

And for better or worse, most of us never saw Miller, Lieberman, Donovan (or Blaze, for that matter) play.

I'm not comfortable with excluding Staley from somewhere on the list, and would probably want to remove Augustus, as I don't see her in a different category from Catchings, Moore, Parker, etc. Still some career to go.

Bird and DT are a bit long in the tooth, so no problem including them, plus DT is unquestionably one of the all time greats and Bird one of the greatest at her position.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You're overlooking the player who scored 3,649 points in college, was a 4-time All-American, and played with the Globetrotters.

PrimitiveImage

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
You're overlooking the player who scored 3,649 points in college, was a 4-time All-American, and played with the Globetrotters.

PrimitiveImage
Another athlete that many of us never saw (except for a very brief appearance in the WNBA, IIRC). And yet another example of the difficulty of comparing eras and successes in difference "versions" of WBB.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Another athlete that many of us never saw (except for a very brief appearance in the WNBA, IIRC). And yet another example of the difficulty of comparing eras and successes in difference "versions" of WBB.
Agreed--hard to compare. Lynette Woodard was ahead of her time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom