Media Rights Are Set to Surpass the Gate in 2018 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Media Rights Are Set to Surpass the Gate in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry I wasn't aiming that post at you @NYUConn. I meant that the CRDA needs to justify how the renovation of the XL is a good investment and how they anticipate the renovation changes the profitability of changes post renovation.

I'm not sure that Gampel can be efficiently remade into a duel use facility. I have not problem with the construction of @5k seat facility being built for the hockey team.

Oh yeah, I think the only point that the data shows (as suspect as it is) is the importance of UConn sports to Hartford. If UConn pulled up stakes and played exclusively in Storrs (which it never will) the facility is completely effed.

Reaction Score
To be clear I am not in the renovate the Freitas Ice Forum camp. I think that by the time you are done doing what needs to be done to that place to make it an acceptable home for a Hockey East program you'll have spent just about as much as if you built a brand new facility.

The reality is that the school needs to do something that makes sense for UConn but also throws Hartford and the state a bone.

IMO, the plan that makes the most sense and is the most cost-effective, would be to renovate Gampel into a duel Basketball-Hockey use arena. Keep the Freitas Ice Forum as is and use it for club sports and local HS games. Similar to what Wisconsin has.
I think of Gampel the same way you think of Freitas. Build a brand new facility if you want both hockey and basketball. At the time, Gampel was a unique design but already appears outdated and limited.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Reading some stories about ESPN, I think that Rights fees are about to fall off a cliff. I think the Big 10 is going to be very disappointed in its next ESPN contract, and I would not be surprised if ESPN does not even seriously bid on the contract. The second chart makes no sense, and there is no way that Disney will allow ESPN to keep bidding up contracts when its subscriber base is shrinking.

pj

Reaction Score
I think of Gampel the same way you think of Freitas. Build a brand new facility if you want both hockey and basketball. At the time, Gampel was a unique design but already appears outdated and limited.

If money were no object, they should build a new on-campus 15k basketball arena, then reconstruct Gampel as a 5k hockey facility.

Reaction Score
XL Center - August/September 2015 - September stats: 8 event days held YTD with YTD attendance at 22,900 - August financials: Event revenue favorable by 20% with expenses even compared to budget Net Income $54,000 unfavorable to budget

How can you have revenue 20% over budget (favorable) and expenses by even with the budget but have net income be $54K below budget (unfavorable)?

Reaction Score
Reading some stories about ESPN, I think that Rights fees are about to fall off a cliff. I think the Big 10 is going to be very disappointed in its next ESPN contract, and I would not be surprised if ESPN does not even seriously bid on the contract. The second chart makes no sense, and there is no way that Disney will allow ESPN to keep bidding up contracts when its subscriber base is shrinking.

Um, the second chart shows us the ESPN is primed to go big with the next B1G contract (even if it doesn't make sense).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Um, the second chart shows us the ESPN is primed to go big with the next B1G contract (even if it doesn't make sense).

Do you think Disney will allow ESPN to increase content spending in a shrinking revenue environment?

Reaction Score
The number of households graph is shocking. The number of households with espn is actually shrinking. I would expect growth to slow but to actually shrink is a huge problem. I have actually found myself tuning into a cbs and nbc sports network more frequently lately.

NBA? Seriously?! "Last year, ESPN agreed as part of a renewal deal with the National Basketball Association to triple its average annual fees from $485 million to about $1.47 billion, people familiar with the deal said."
http://www.wsj.com/articles/espn-tightens-its-belt-as-pressure-on-it-mounts-1436485852

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How can you have revenue 20% over budget (favorable) and expenses by even with the budget but have net income be $54K below budget (unfavorable)?
Perhaps the revenue and expense ratios are related to events only, while net income includes some other extraordinary expense item? There is no other explanation. Did the roof collapse again?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The number of households graph is shocking. The number of households with espn is actually shrinking. I would expect growth to slow but to actually shrink is a huge problem. I have actually found myself tuning into a cbs and nbc sports network more frequently lately.

Maybe college FB has reached the saturation point. You have the over the air stations, the ESPN group, CBS, NBC and Fox also have their spinoff stations with games too. This coming Saturday alone, I count 40 games either on TV or streaming.

Reaction Score
I was looking for a visual and this is from 2014. Pretty outrageous when you think about it. There are plenty of sports fans willing to pay espn, plenty not willing to pay, and then plenty of non-sports fans. The bubble is surely going to burst.
http://blogs.wsj.com/numbers/how-much-cable-subscribers-pay-per-channel-1626/
OG-AC140_TopTV__G_20140729144610.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm guessing a big fixed expense allocation, perhaps due to the most recent update to the locker rooms, etc.

Reaction Score
Do you think Disney will allow ESPN to increase content spending in a shrinking revenue environment?

Well, if you shrink the content, you get a shrinkage multiplier on lost subscriptions.

Reaction Score
This chart tells me FOX Sports1 has incentive to spend lots of money for content. Better content will allow for a rise in carriage fee. Spend more to make much more. Watch them continue to grab talent (Cowherd, etc) and content going forward such as NBA, more college football. Everyone thought the NFC was nuts going to FOX--they would get lost on the remote control. People will find the content they want to watch-- wherever it is.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Cowherd is pulling 0.0 ratings. That's been a winner.

Nos your strategy for Fox Sports 1 is 10 years too late. Overpaying for anything is death - you can't get increases or grow the subscriber base.

Throw in the fact nobody in their right mind is putting all their eggs in the Fox basket. The coaches would murder the Big Ten leadership if they weren't on ESPN/ABC. You could flush their recruiting down the toilet if they didn't have a deal with ESPN.

BTW the NBA is locked up until 2025. So yeah they probably won't have them anytime soon.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

For those behind the curve on this you'd think that chart would make it obvious. This is going to be a horrific marketplace for sellers.

Reaction Score

Nos your strategy for Fox Sports 1 is 10 years too late. Overpaying for anything is death - you can't get increases or grow the subscriber base.

Throw in the fact nobody in their right mind is putting all their eggs in the Fox basket. The coaches would murder the Big Ten leadership if they weren't on ESPN/ABC. You could flush their recruiting down the toilet if they didn't have a deal with ESPN.

BTW the NBA is locked up until 2025. So yeah they probably won't have them anytime soon.
Well, Fox does have Erin Andrews. What were Cowherds real ratings? Fox may be able to continue to get some former espn "talent" on the cheap.
http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/colin-cowherd-bashes-espn-for-being-too-disney/272943

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I still don't get your obsession with numbers on a cable dial. Do you own a beeper store?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I still don't get your obsession with numbers on a cable dial. Do you own a beeper store?

I don't get why you can't see the numbers and understand how much they still matter.

For example last week Northwestern and Nebraska had double the viewership of Texas and Kansas State in the same window. Not ESPN to FS1 - ESPN2 to FS1.

Pitt and Syracuse on ESPNU. U! Drew 100k more than Kansas and Oklahoma State on FS1.

ESPN still dominates how sports are perceived in the country. A college conference that doesn't have a realtionship with them is walking into a competitive disadvantage.

Rutgers got double the viewership of Utah/USC last week - because they were on ABC and not Fox. Double... Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I don't get why you can't see the numbers and understand how much they still matter.

For example last week Northwestern and Nebraska had double the viewership of Texas and Kansas State in the same window. Not ESPN to FS1 - ESPN2 to FS1.

Pitt and Syracuse on ESPNU. U! Drew 100k more than Kansas and Oklahoma State on FS1.

ESPN still dominates how sports are perceived in the country. A college conference that doesn't have a realtionship with them is walking into a competitive disadvantage.

Rutgers got double the viewership of Utah/USC last week - because they were on ABC and not Fox. Double... Rutgers.
Interesting numbers but if Rutgers got double, it's because it was an away game for Ohio State, and that is the only reason.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Whaler's point happens every week in every sport...not just last week's football games. Mediocre games in the ACC/B1G aired on ESPN/ABC trump whatever the PAC/B12 are running on FOX/FS1. The true eye opener will be how much of a ratings gap occurs when TCU plays Baylor (probably the best game left to be played in either conference if both are undefeated) and that game goes up against a couple of garbage ACC/B1G games.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
Cowherd is pulling 0.0 ratings. That's been a winner. Nos your strategy for Fox Sports 1 is 10 years too late. Overpaying for anything is death - you can't get increases or grow the subscriber base. Throw in the fact nobody in their right mind is putting all their eggs in the Fox basket. The coaches would murder the Big Ten leadership if they weren't on ESPN/ABC. You could flush their recruiting down the toilet if they didn't have a deal with ESPN. BTW the NBA is locked up until 2025. So yeah they probably won't have them anytime soon.

His radio deal is profitable. The FS1 is a throw-in to get eyeballs to the channel. Actually smart the way it was structured.

Reaction Score
Seaa Blue said:
Profitable for whom?

Why would you assume that someone would sign him to a deal where they won't make money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom