Media Rights Are Set to Surpass the Gate in 2018 | The Boneyard

Media Rights Are Set to Surpass the Gate in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...o-surpass-the-gate/ar-AAfDYzL?ocid=spartandhp

For the first time in 2018, media rights fees will surpass gate revenues as the leading source of revenue. An industry once built on ticket sales will empirically become about eyeballs watching the action on television or a mobile device, as leagues and sports federations collect $19.9 billion from media rights fees compared with $19.7 billion from gate revenues.

Does stadium size still matter?

Reaction Score
Just in case it should be relevant; the Big Ten has a gate revenue-sharing plan. UConn would pick up some extra income there.

Delany said he never discussed stadium expansion with Rutgers. No doubt TV was a much bigger factor there.

Reaction Score
Just in case it should be relevant; the Big Ten has a gate revenue-sharing plan. UConn would pick up some extra income there.

I did not know this, but I find it fascinating and annoying: there's literally no incentive for Purdue to do anything other than suck.

Reaction Score
They are improving their facilities. Hopefully recruiting will improve for them. IU and Purdue try to break even on athletics.

The 2012 winners:

Indiana, $1,722,143.29

* Illinois, $1,312,175.70

* Northwestern, $1,271,654.13

* Minnesota, $1,266,143.74

* Purdue, $1,057,815.29

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/mor...ique-football-gate-revenue-sharing-works.html

Basketball info: Men's basketball programs send 25 percent of home gate revenue from league games with a $67,000 per-game ceiling and a $29,000 per-game floor

http://www.thegazette.com/2010/08/1...a-basketball-gains-in-big-ten-revenue-sharing

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
In the latest stadium re-naming, UConn picked up an additional 25 acres of land for parking (that can accommodate 10-15K fans). When you couple that with the footings that are already in place to support a 3rd deck (i.e. an additional 10-15K fans), I think our plan would be to expand to 50-55K for a Power conference schedule and cap it around there. With everything in place, the expansion would likely be quick (1 year maybe).

Reaction Score
In the latest stadium re-naming, UConn picked up an additional 25 acres of land for parking (that can accommodate 10-15K fans). When you couple that with the footings that are already in place to support a 3rd deck (i.e. an additional 10-15K fans), I think our plan would be to expand to 50-55K for a Power conference schedule and cap it around there. With everything in place, the expansion would likely be quick (1 year maybe).

This is from oct 17th meeting agenda of the CRDA:
http://crdact.net/data/Unsorted/10-15-2015-BoardMtg_Agenda-73166-1.pdf

Rentschler Field:
MOU with OPM modified (idk what OPM means)
Capital improvments

UCONN:
XL Agreement
Rentschler Agreement
Long term XL partnership.

The non-released(yet) Meeting minutes should be an interesting read.

Reaction Score
This is from oct 17th meeting agenda of the CRDA:
http://crdact.net/data/Unsorted/10-15-2015-BoardMtg_Agenda-73166-1.pdf

Rentschler Field:
MOU with OPM modified (idk what OPM means)
Capital improvments

UCONN:
XL Agreement
Rentschler Agreement
Long term XL partnership.

The non-released(yet) Meeting minutes should be an interesting read.

It means that modifications to the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the State's Office of Policy & Management (OPM), which runs The Rent, are on the agenda.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Maybe they plan on discussing whether or not to ax some of the stupid TV timeout promotions.

Dooley

Reaction Score
"Hey, UConn, about that stupid three-man wheelbarrow race..."

Maybe I blacked it out but I don't remember that at the USF game. I do remember the dumb "pass the ad down a row" game, throw it in the Webster hole game, and kick a 2 yard FG game. All of them should go.

I did like the addition of the "UConn in the NFL" video tributes on the board that they put up a few times. They must've had a few recruits in the stadium on Saturday. Even if they didn't, I would like to see more of that kind of stuff and less of the dumb corporate promos that make attending one of our football games like going to a minor league hockey game.

Reaction Score
I did like the addition of the "UConn in the NFL" video tributes on the board that they put up a few times. They must've had a few recruits in the stadium on Saturday. Even if they didn't, I would like to see more of that kind of stuff and less of the dumb corporate promos that make attending one of our football games like going to a minor league hockey game.

They should do this for basketball ("UConn in the NBA"), too, but that would probably take a while...

Reaction Score
Dooley said:
Maybe I blacked it out but I don't remember that at the USF game. I do remember the dumb "pass the ad down a row" game, throw it in the Webster hole game, and kick a 2 yard FG game. All of them should go. I did like the addition of the "UConn in the NFL" video tributes on the board that they put up a few times. They must've had a few recruits in the stadium on Saturday. Even if they didn't, I would like to see more of that kind of stuff and less of the dumb corporate promos that make attending one of our football games like going to a minor league hockey game.

Everyone worries about money but wants to get money without advertising.

That said, yes that is pretty poor activation. Marketing people need to do a better job getting the money without bush league activation.

Reaction Score
http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/charley-steiner-blasts-espns-layoffs-in-facebook-post/275487
Steiner.jpg

Reaction Score
This is why I think the move to Hockey East was so critical for UConn's future.

In a sense, the $$$ we are getting from filling the lower bowl of the XL center is found money. Two years ago we didn't have anything close to it, it's a completely new revenue stream.

Given that our TV money is chump change, I think being able to draw between 4-7K nightly for UConn Hockey is all the more critical to the long-term health of the sports department.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The released meeting minutes are an interesting read.

http://www.crdact.net/data/Unsorted/10-15-2015-DRAFT-BoardMinutes-73174-1.pdf

"CRDA/UConn working on last minute changes to a 30 Event/20 year LOI that will take effect once newly renovated XL Center is complete.
Rentschler Agreement, along with the current three year XL Agreement, should be formally adopted at the October UConn Board of Trustee Meeting".
XL Center - August/September 2015 - September stats: 8 event days held YTD with YTD attendance at 22,900 - August financials: Event revenue favorable by 20% with expenses even compared to budget Net Income $54,000 unfavorable to budget

Rentschler Field - August/September 2015 - September stats: 31 event days held YTD with YTD attendance at 83,400 Includes 3 UCONN football games - August financials: Event revenue unfavorable by 26% with expenses favorable by 11% compared to budget Net Income $93,000 unfavorable to budget

Miscellaneous Mayor Leclerc indicated that since there has been a great deal of development and change in Hartford in the past couple of years, perhaps we should give thought to start tracking restaurants activity; venue events, etc. to see what kind of progress. When public finance questions are being asked regarding the use of State fund for projects, these questions will be able to be answered with facts that CRDA has compiled over the years. Members concurred and staff will begin to prepare

Reaction Score
meanwhile espn's college gameday is going to Philadelphia this saturday. I'm telling ya, people are looking past Temple...or is espn in worse shape than we thought?

Reaction Score
XL Center - August/September 2015 - September stats: 8 event days held YTD with YTD attendance at 22,900 - August financials: Event revenue favorable by 20% with expenses even compared to budget Net Income $54,000 unfavorable to budget

Rentschler Field - August/September 2015 - September stats: 31 event days held YTD with YTD attendance at 83,400 Includes 3 UCONN football games - August financials: Event revenue unfavorable by 26% with expenses favorable by 11% compared to budget Net Income $93,000 unfavorable to budget

Miscellaneous Mayor Leclerc indicated that since there has been a great deal of development and change in Hartford in the past couple of years, perhaps we should give thought to start tracking restaurants activity; venue events, etc. to see what kind of progress. When public finance questions are being asked regarding the use of State fund for projects, these questions will be able to be answered with facts that CRDA has compiled over the years. Members concurred and staff will begin to prepare

Important to note that these are venue-centric #s and that neither the XL Center or Rentschler Field are owned and operated by UConn. So the numbers, while significantly in the red, represent a loss to the venue NOT the university.

Also, those #s seem a little suspect considering what we know of UConn football attendance. Home attendance for the first few games of the season was roughly 25K, 29K and 31K which alone puts attendance for the football team around 85K. So not sure where that 83,400 number comes from. It would literally mean that the 28 other events at Rentschler Field YTD netted 0 attendees.

CL82

Reaction Score
Important to note that these are venue-centric #s and that neither the XL Center or Rentschler Field are owned and operated by UConn. So the numbers, while significantly in the red, represent a loss to the venue NOT the university.

Also, those #s seem a little suspect considering what we know of UConn football attendance. Home attendance for the first few games of the season was roughly 25K, 29K and 31K which alone puts attendance for the football team around 85K. So not sure where that 83,400 number comes from. It would literally mean that the 28 other events at Rentschler Field YTD netted 0 attendees.
Good point regarding the Rent YTD attendance. My take away is that the XL Center, and isn't profitable. You need to explain how investing in the renovation will change that. What events will you get that you can't get now? How will attendance change? What's the basis for that. Granted these are just a snapshot, but I get the feeling that the renovation as an engine for Hartford is mostly wishful thinking.

Reaction Score
Good point regarding the Rent YTD attendance. My take away is that the XL Center, and isn't profitable. You need to explain how investing in the renovation will change that. What events will you get that you can't get now? How will attendance change? What's the basis for that. Granted these are just a snapshot, but I get the feeling that the renovation as an engine for Hartford is mostly wishful thinking.

To be clear I am not in the renovate the Freitas Ice Forum camp. I think that by the time you are done doing what needs to be done to that place to make it an acceptable home for a Hockey East program you'll have spent just about as much as if you built a brand new facility.

The reality is that the school needs to do something that makes sense for UConn but also throws Hartford and the state a bone.

IMO, the plan that makes the most sense and is the most cost-effective, would be to renovate Gampel into a duel Basketball-Hockey use arena. Keep the Freitas Ice Forum as is and use it for club sports and local HS games. Similar to what Wisconsin has.

CL82

Reaction Score
To be clear I am not in the renovate the Freitas Ice Forum camp. I think that by the time you are done doing what needs to be done to that place to make it an acceptable home for a Hockey East program you'll have spent just about as much as if you built a brand new facility.

The reality is that the school needs to do something that makes sense for UConn but also throws Hartford and the state a bone.

IMO, the plan that makes the most sense and is the most cost-effective, would be to renovate Gampel into a duel Basketball-Hockey use arena. Keep the Freitas Ice Forum as is and use it for club sports and local HS games. Similar to what Wisconsin has.
Sorry I wasn't aiming that post at you @NYUConn. I meant that the CRDA needs to justify how the renovation of the XL is a good investment and how they anticipate the renovation changes the profitability of changes post renovation.

I'm not sure that Gampel can be efficiently remade into a duel use facility. I have no problem with the construction of @5k seat facility being built for the hockey team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99