Maya - Face of the WNBA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maya - Face of the WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would say Maya and or Candace. As the face of the WNBA. On a NBA note I still think Kobe to this point has had a better career than LeBron.
Kobe hasn't had a better career than Tim Duncan, let alone LeBron.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The "Face" of the WNBA is in my avatar. She is perched to be the best player in the league, doing things no other woman can do, and is doing tremendous work with the "No Bullying" campaign.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Two points -

- As some were sort of indicating, the "face" of the WNBA will actually be different to different groups. And, quite frankly, those individual groups don't care about "baggage" if any. I would suggest that looking among the MVP's (or strong candidates) is a good place to start, I would think Maya, Taurasi, Parker, Griner are all (with others) the "face" of the WNBA. Diggins and Shoni to their particular fans, as well.

- I don't disagree that rings don't define individual greatness (i.e. Bryant) - but they are often used that way. Coaches are knocked for not getting a NC and star players are criticized for not leading their teams to NC's (especially, if their "team" was a favorite, it is somehow particularly their fault if the team doesn't win. Just sayin . . .

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Championship rings are a function of the team as opposed to an individual player. There have been many great players who have never as much as sniffed a championship. It does not diminish their greatness. Ernie Banks comes immediately to mind. Robert Horry has seven championship rings. As nice a career as he has had and as great a clutch performer as he has been, he will never be mentioned among the all time greats of the game.
Are you implying Ernie Banks was a better basketball player than Robert Horry?

Reaction Score
Two points -

- As some were sort of indicating, the "face" of the WNBA will actually be different to different groups. And, quite frankly, those individual groups don't care about "baggage" if any. I would suggest that looking among the MVP's (or strong candidates) is a good place to start, I would think Maya, Taurasi, Parker, Griner are all (with others) the "face" of the WNBA. Diggins and Shoni to their particular fans, as well.

- I don't disagree that rings don't define individual greatness (i.e. Bryant) - but they are often used that way. Coaches are knocked for not getting a NC and star players are criticized for not leading their teams to NC's (especially, if their "team" was a favorite, it is somehow particularly their fault if the team doesn't win. Just sayin . . .
There's an Ernie Banks here and there but, for the most part, great players and great coaches WIN. (Stats are nice, but I wouldn't have voted Dan Marino into the hall of fame either.)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Kobe has more rings. When he gets too the Finals he wins unlike LeBron.

Yeah, but TD is the best PF of all time. Kobe isn't even a top 3 two-guard.

Reaction Score
Maya hasn't paid her dues to be considered the face of the WNBA but BG has?
Let's put aside the multiple championships Maya has won in her 3 seasons. Let's put aside the many items put up for auction from Maya's personal memorabilia that garners donations for worthy causes. Let's put aside the respectable image she has worked so hard to create.
I agree, she has not paid her dues yet. When she becomes the first female president, then we can consider her a good candidate! Sheesh!

You could not ask for a more well rounded individual to represent what the WNBA stands for.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Who do you have top 3? I think a case can be made for Kobe being top 3 all time two guard.

Oh there's definitely a case to be made, I'm just of a different opinion.

Jordan and West

Then one of:
Iverson; Gervin; Havlicek; Drexler; Bryant

I actually like Iverson more as a player than Kobe, but he obviously doesn't have the championships. D Wade could have been there if his prime lasted longer. He's def top 10 though.

I think Kobe, while a tremendous player/shot maker, is a bit overrated. But I'm sure I'd be in the minority RE the greatest 2 guard list.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Maya hasn't paid her dues to be considered the face of the WNBA but BG has?
Let's put aside the multiple championships Maya has won in her 3 seasons. Let's put aside the many items put up for auction from Maya's personal memorabilia that garners donations for worthy causes. Let's put aside the respectable image she has worked so hard to create.
You could not ask for a more well rounded individual to represent what the WNBA stands for.
I think the "paying dues" argument is nonsense as it applies to Maya; I think without looking that the poster who said that was referencing Parker, not BG.

But - as true as your other points are, there are folks who do not find Maya particularly recognizable. That is, she stands out by the numbers she puts up, but rarely for "personality" reasons (to be fair, EDD is a similar situation). To the greater fan-base, this might hamper them calling her the "face" of the W, unless the WNBA would like to do a campaign around her. Taurasi, Charles and Bird are sort-of bigger than life size in some respects, something (non-game wise) Maya is not-so-much. Now, lead Team USA to gold in an upcoming year's competition . . .

Reaction Score
I think the "paying dues" argument is nonsense as it applies to Maya; I think without looking that the poster who said that was referencing Parker, not BG.

But - as true as your other points are, there are folks who do not find Maya particularly recognizable. That is, she stands out by the numbers she puts up, but rarely for "personality" reasons (to be fair, EDD is a similar situation). To the greater fan-base, this might hamper them calling her the "face" of the W, unless the WNBA would like to do a campaign around her. Taurasi, Charles and Bird are sort-of bigger than life size in some respects, something (non-game wise) Maya is not-so-much. Now, lead Team USA to gold in an upcoming year's competition . . .

Very fair points about Maya's personality. I didn't ever consider the "face" from that perspective KnightBridgeAZ.

I was referencing BG in my previ0us post because ETT first implied that Maya had not paid her dues like Candace. In a later post, they campaigned for Griner to be the face of the WNBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom