Maya - Face of the WNBA | The Boneyard

Maya - Face of the WNBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The face of the league is pretty accurate.

Much better than the whiny face in Tulsa.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The face of the league is pretty accurate.

Much better than the whiny face in Tulsa.

Do we have to take every story as a chance to say something negative about Diggins? We are lucky that a franchise like Tulsa has Diggins as a marketing tool. And she IS good for the WNBA, whether you like her or not.

Just wondering which player is the most recognizable "face" in the WNBA?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Do we have to take every story as a chance to say something negative about Diggins? We are lucky that a franchise like Tulsa has Diggins as a marketing tool. And she IS good for the WNBA, whether you like her or not.
Nope. It's just that Skylar was known as "The Face" a couple of years ago. I mentioned her only because the article used that term. Maya has paid her dues. Skylar seems to be on the right track, but she's not there yet.

Skylar got a lot of hype last year, which was good for the league. But her performance as a rookie was not worthy. She's playing great this year. I don't think she'll be in Istanbul in 2014, but she seems to be the leading contender among the young PGs for a spot on Team USA for 2016 and beyond. I'll give her credit for greatly improved play.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I just don't understand the desire to continue to criticize Diggins. She has put in a lot of hard work to become a better player and deserves respect for that, so it sounds like she paid some "dues" for that. And the WNBA needs players like her. So who gives a crap about her rookie season...that has come and gone. And I suspect that she will continue to get better and better as the years progress and will be on Team USA for years to come.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Let's lighten up and get a sense of humor.

Skylar is one of the best players in the league, but she has a resume that includes histrionics and being a diva.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Skylar is one of the best players in the league, but she has a resume that includes histrionics and being a diva.

That is what I am suggessting. Let's leave the girl alone for a while and respect her for what she is today, not last year, or while she was at ND.

Let's find someone new to hate on.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That is what I am suggessting. Let's leave teh girl alone for a while and respect her for what she is today, not last year, or while she was at ND.

Let's find someone new to hate on.
"Hate" is a bad and far-too-strong word. Poking fun at would be more accurate.

She's really good now and has improved her shooting percentage, I believe, which was her weakest spot.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
She's very fast with the ball as always but she's showing less hesitation, and I also see her using the right hand (her off hand) a lot more now.

Her shot has so much more confidence than it did last year. I'm not a fan of hers but I do like watching her make plays. Just not against any UCONN alums :)

Reaction Score
Nope. It's just that Skylar was known as "The Face" a couple of years ago.

Skylar Diggins has never been considered the face of the WNBA. I don't recall her ever being named more than part of ESPN's Three to See, which was deserved; she was one of the top three players in the senior class that year.

The face of the WNBA has been Bird, Parker, etc.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I would say Maya and or Candace. As the face of the WNBA. On a NBA note I still think Kobe to this point has had a better career than LeBron.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I would say Maya and or Candace. As the face of the WNBA. On a NBA note I still think Kobe to this point has had a better career than LeBron.

Maya hasn't paid her dues like Candace. Give her a few more years.

Reaction Score

"@StatisticsNBA: LeBron James could miss his next 1,593 shots and still have a higher FG shooting percentage than Kobe Bryant."

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Maybe "The Face" of the WNBA should also include what each player does for the community and children.

Like the First Lady, "The Face" should should have a cause that they support.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe "The Face" of the WNBA should also include what each player does for the community and children.

Like the First Lady, "The Face" should should have a cause that they support.

If that's part of the criteria, I'll insert the name Tina Charles.

Reaction Score
Championship rings are a function of the team as opposed to an individual player. There have been many great players who have never as much as sniffed a championship. It does not diminish their greatness. Ernie Banks comes immediately to mind. Robert Horry has seven championship rings. As nice a career as he has had and as great a clutch performer as he has been, he will never be mentioned among the all time greats of the game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Skylar Diggins has never been considered the face of the WNBA. I don't recall her ever being named more than part of ESPN's Three to See, which was deserved; she was one of the top three players in the senior class that year.

The face of the WNBA has been Bird, Parker, etc.
I didn't explicitly say that Skylar was the face of the WNBA, because that is not what I meant. It would not be accurate.

Some called her "The face of WCBB" or even "The Face of WBB" back in 2012-13. See, for example, this article by Altavilla:

http://articles.courant.com/2013-03...ra-muffet-mcgraw-south-bend-s-washington-high

For a while, some Boneyarders simply called her "The Face," perhaps pejoratively. I don't think I was one of them. But everyone seemed to know who it referred to.

The latest article on Maya as The Face made me think of Skylar's former moniker.

If a league is looking for a positive image, Maya is about as good as it gets. Other options include Catchings, Bird, and DelleDonne. To use Doris Burke's term, they comport themselves in a polished, professional manner. I doubt there are many fans who don't respect or even like them. While Parker, Diggins, McCoughtry, and Taurasi are great players, they all have some baggage in terms of on-court behavior that would make them less than ideal as the face of the league, in my opinion.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I didn't explicitly say that Skylar was the face of the WNBA, because that is not what I meant. It would not be accurate.

Some called her "The face of WCBB" or even "The Face of WBB" back in 2012-13. See, for example, this article by Altavilla:

http://articles.courant.com/2013-03...ra-muffet-mcgraw-south-bend-s-washington-high

For a while, some Boneyarders simply called her "The Face," perhaps pejoratively. I don't think I was one of them. But everyone seemed to know who it referred to.

The latest article on Maya as The Face made me think of Skylar's former moniker.

If a league is looking for a positive image, Maya is about as good as it gets. Other options include Catchings, Bird, and DelleDonne. To use Doris Burke's term, they comport themselves in a polished, professional manner. I doubt there are many fans who don't respect or even like them. While Parker, Diggins, McCoughtry, and Taurasi are great players, they all have some baggage in terms of on-court behavior that would make them less than ideal as the face of the league, in my opinion.

Every couple of years a new players is called "The Face" of WCBB. That title has been shared more than a crack pipe on Skid Row.

Reaction Score

Last season it looked like Delle Donne might be the next "Face" of the WNBA but this season's bad luck with the Lyme disease recurrance has kind of taken her out of the spotlight.

I think Skylar may become the next "Face" of the WNBA due to her popularity among younger female fans and the way she goes out of her way to connect with them at games, Twitter etc. She also has a big Nike publicity campaign going on with billboards and posters in a lot of stores (wouldn't mind having a Skylar poster). I don't think she has done anything negative on-court since she started playing in the WNBA. I don't know why you would put her in that category.

Shoni has already become the "Face" of the WNBA to a lot of Native American fans all over the country. A few Mystics fans also were holding posters saying they love her even though they're Mystics fans at the game in DC Sunday.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

And being super hot. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69