Maya explodes for 35 ... MVP? | The Boneyard

Maya explodes for 35 ... MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maya went off for 35 points against the Fever, typically one of the league's best defensive teams, shooting a ridiculous 15-21 in the process. She also casually chipped in 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 steals and 2 blocks for good measure.

I only loosely follow the WNBA, but can someone tell me if Maya's getting any serious hype for the MVP award? If not, she should be. She's carried Minnesota to the top seed in the West (so far), which is significantly better than the Eastern Conference.

Her numbers: 18.4 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 3.0 apg, 1.7 spg, 1.0 bpg, 50% FG, 44% 3-pointers, 87% FT

Angel is probably Maya's biggest competition for the award, but Atlanta has been reeling in the second half of the season. Plus, Angel's had a ridiculous amount of 20-missed-shot performances for me to take her seriously as the league's MVP. (Part of that is the Dream's lack of options, but still. Her shooting percentage is hovering around 40%.)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if one game launches someone into the lead or not, but as Parker has faded, Moore has come on gangbusters. The top 6 in scoring in the league consists of 3 UCONN players - Diana at 2, Tina at 4, and Maya at 6. They are all bunched up around 18 PPG so i'm not sure if Maya's 35 will put her ahead of them given she's played 25+ games this season...

I have to imagine the top 5 contenders for MVP are Angel, Diana, Maya, and maybe Sylvia or Cappie. Tina probably is not a serious contender since the Sun suck so badly this year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
today they mentioned EDD as a possible MVP this season... not ROY but POY
Well she's on my short list. Honestly, I think as of today (just MHO), it would be between Angel, Maya, Diana and Elena. I'd honestly give EDD the nod mainly because Chicago has never made the playoffs, and she was the big piece they added this year. Now suddenly not only has Chicago made the playoffs, but they are one of the favorites to win it all.

I do have to say about Chicago - I watched the game today and they are in desperate need of a good PG. Vandersloot was just awful. Turnover machine, slow on defense, no real offense - it was only one game, but if this is how she normally plays, ugh...

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Vandersloot was just awful. Turnover machine, slow on defense, no real offense - it was only one game, but if this is how she normally plays, ugh...
But I thought she was the second coming of Sue Bird coming out of college... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I don't think you can justify EDD as the MVP considering she's really only great at one thing at the moment (scoring), and it's debatable whether or not she's even been the best player on her team. She'll probably win a couple of awards in the future, but it'd be mostly political if she were to win it this year.

There really are a lot of flawed candidates this year. Taurasi's numbers look great, but her team has underachieved and then some. Parker's team has arguably overachieved, but she's rotated between being a good and great player all season. Tina's numbers look nice on the surface, but she's been almost as dreadful as the Sun.

That leaves Maya and Angel. The next couple weeks will probably determine a lot, but as of right now I think Maya should have the edge.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I don't think you can justify EDD as the MVP considering she's really only great at one thing at the moment (scoring), and it's debatable whether or not she's even been the best player on her team. She'll probably win a couple of awards in the future, but it'd be mostly political if she were to win it this year.

There really are a lot of flawed candidates this year. Taurasi's numbers look great, but her team has underachieved and then some. Parker's team has arguably overachieved, but she's rotated between being a good and great player all season. Tina's numbers look nice on the surface, but she's been almost as dreadful as the Sun.

That leaves Maya and Angel. The next couple weeks will probably determine a lot, but as of right now I think Maya should have the edge.

I think it's a bit understated to say that EDD is only great at one thing, because it kinda implies that scoring is all she brings. She's third on her team in rebounding (just .3 boards a game behind Swin), and second on her team in blocks. She has more assists than TO's for the season. So, you may be right in saying that she's only "great" in one thing, but, she's not too shabby across the board. She's more of an all-around, complete player than you might think if you just concentrate on scoring.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't think you can justify EDD as the MVP considering she's really only great at one thing at the moment (scoring), a
Not even close to true. She passes well and has an excellent basketball IQ. She is a good defender at the 4 or 5 on D. Most MVP are only great at one aspect of the game and solid in the rest. That describes EDD very well.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
My vote goes to Maya. She is the best player on the best team. If Phoenix had a better record I would have a hard time deciding between Maya and DT.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
But I thought she was the second coming of Sue Bird coming out of college... :rolleyes:
Well in all fairness to her, and to the folks who spoke highly of her on this board, she was invited to the US Olympic trials, or one of the US National team try outs. And I believe that was only her 1st or 2nd year in the league. I think at this point it's fair to say she's fizzled and at this time is barely an average WNBA PG.

Reaction Score
Not even close to true. She passes well and has an excellent basketball IQ. She is a good defender at the 4 or 5 on D. Most MVP are only great at one aspect of the game and solid in the rest. That describes EDD very well.
...you basically just agreed with me. I never said EDD was bad at the other aspects, or that she doesn't have a well-rounded game. All I said was that, at this stage of her career, she only has one great skillset, which you didn't dispute.

She has a solid all-around game that will get better over the years, but Maya is great right now on both ends of the court, which is what I think separates the two.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
...you basically just agreed with me. I never said EDD was bad at the other aspects, or that she doesn't have a well-rounded game. All I said was that, at this stage of her career, she only has one great skillset, which you didn't dispute.

She has a solid all-around game that will get better over the years, but Maya is great right now on both ends of the court, which is what I think separates the two.
No, I don't. I think those other skills are sufficient in the MVP debate. Your comment implied one needs to be great in at least several things.

Reaction Score
Maya is having a very nice season and should win the MVP. IMO, the award usually does go to the best player on the best team. Unless there is a significant turnaround. Which is why Elena Della Donne is a serious contender; Definitely the missing piece. Maya, as mentioned in today's article lauding her player of the week numbers, is in the top 15 of all 8 major statistical categories. No one else in the WNBA is listed among the top 15 in 5 categories.

It is nice to see Angel in this conversation after the beating she took on this board when her coach was fired last year. Atlanta is not nearly as good as Minnesota and Chicago, yet manage to maintain a decisive home court advantage.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
O
Maya is having a very nice season and should win the MVP. IMO, the award usually does go to the best player on the best team. Unless there is a significant turnaround. Which is why Elena Della Donne is a serious contender; Definitely the missing piece. Maya, as mentioned in today's article lauding her player of the week numbers, is in the top 15 of all 8 major statistical categories. No one else in the WNBA is listed among the top 15 in 5 categories.

It is nice to see Angel in this conversation after the beating she took on this board when her coach was fired last year. Atlanta is not nearly as good as Minnesota and Chicago, yet manage to maintain a decisive home court advantage.
I do think from what I've been reading Maya deserves to be the favorite.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
O

I do think from what I've been reading Maya deserves to be the favorite.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Who ever closes out the season the strongest will probably win. Maya went through a rough patch when her scoring dipped quite a bit but is on the rise. Candace went through a rough patch as she dealt with an injury, but played any way. This is another player back on the rise with 1 assist shy of a triple double. Delle Donne also had injury woes, but did not play through the injuries. Fowles also makes a strong case for MVP. The efficiency ranking has Syl at #1, Candace #2, and Maya #3. This is the best indicator of their entire body of work. Lobo seems to think the player on the team that finishes with the best record will win the MVP. The next few weeks are important. Maya will have 2 head to head games against LA and one against Chicago. LA and Minnesota have 4 road games left and Chicago only 2 left on the road. Candace and Angel lead the league in POW awards for the season. The latest MVP race has Angel at the top. With 2 games remaining against Chicago, wins against Chicago could keep Angel as the leader. The finish will be interesting and it looks to be wide open. Best team will probably get the nod.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Oh that Parker, she is so tough.

Moore has had a much better August. You are correct though. It's really close between Moore, Parker, Angel and EDD. Four great players. Any of them would be a great choice.

Of course, I am partial to Moore.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I agree it's really close right now. The stretch run will decide it.

Maya has been shooting with a lot of confidence of late, but more importantly she's been very efficient (and yet still explosive) in her drives to the basket. She's getting better and better at exploiting the smallest seams.

She covers so much ground in just two big, powerful steps--while still elevating--that it's unbelievable sometimes. IMHO, it's really her signature capability vis a vis everyone else in the league.

Reaction Score
On page 97 of the Daily News today, it reads in big bold letters at the top, "Maya, Lynx sink Liberty". The articles reads as follows, "Even on a rare off-night offensively, Maya Moore found ways to help her team win". With Coach Reeve extolling her hustle, the article continues, "That (hustle) was never more evident than in the fourth quarter with her team up 20 points, Moore made a spectacular save of a loose ball, diving into press row". I find it interesting that Maya is on a first name basis with a high profile New York newspaper and that she gets the headline (albeit page 97) because of her defensive play (10 rebounds as well). If the NY Daily News can see the whole picture, I would hope the WNBA can as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom