Maya a star in Aruba... | The Boneyard

Maya a star in Aruba...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Page 18 in Aruba Today, "Minnesota Lynx's Maya Moore wins WNBA MVP Award". The article notes that she received 35 of 38 first place votes. Carolyn Peck may continue to insist that Diana Taurasi is the best player in the WNBA and perhaps she's right (although I think Maya is), but there is no better ambassador to the women's game than Maya, and that's difficult to argue.

Reaction Score
Page 18 in Aruba Today, "Minnesota Lynx's Maya Moore wins WNBA MVP Award". The article notes that she received 35 of 38 first place votes. Carolyn Peck may continue to insist that Diana Taurasi is the best player in the WNBA and perhaps she's right (although I think Maya is), but there is no better ambassador to the women's game than Maya, and that's difficult to argue.
Taurasi's still the best ever in my mind. You want to talk about a competitor? When she played for UConn she apparently rubbed some of her teammates the wrong way. Why? Because she kept score. In practice. Against her own teammates.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Maya a star anywhere is as newsworthy as water is wet in Aruba. :)

Reaction Score
Taurasi's still the best ever in my mind. You want to talk about a competitor? When she played for UConn she apparently rubbed some of her teammates the wrong way. Why? Because she kept score. In practice. Against her own teammates.
Diana was the better college player, but I think there's an argument to be made for Maya being the better pro.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If my life depends on the outcome of a college game and I get to pick the team by reaching into the space-time continuum, I'm picking D first. If it's just about the overall body of work as a collegiate player, you could make the case for the NPOY awards Maya won and the 90-game win streak she architected more than anyone. Not saying I AM making the case, but one could...and I'd find it admissible.

Reaction Score
Diana was the better college player, but I think there's an argument to be made for Maya being the better pro.

I think there is an argument all the way around college and pro for both of these amazing players.

Reaction Score
If my life depends on the outcome of a college game and I get to pick the team by reaching into the space-time continuum, I'm picking D first. If it's just about the overall body of work as a collegiate player, you could make the case for the NPOY awards Maya won and the 90-game win streak she architected more than anyone. Not saying I AM making the case, but one could...and I'd find it admissible.
Who would be your second pick?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
DT dominated the college game through a combination of incredible raw talent matched with intense determination/bravado/will power.

MM dominated through a combination of incredible raw talent matched with an unbelievable artistry for and sense of the game. (I'm not certain artistry is the right word but I trust everyone will understand my meaning!)

I enjoyed watching and rooting for them equally, along with many other of the women who have played for the Huskies over the years.

Reaction Score
DT dominated the college game through a combination of incredible raw talent matched with intense determination/bravado/will power.

MM dominated through a combination of incredible raw talent matched with an unbelievable artistry for and sense of the game. (I'm not certain artistry is the right word but I trust everyone will understand my meaning!)

I enjoyed watching and rooting for them equally, along with many other of the women who have played for the Huskies over the years.

Yes I agree - how I look at it is similar in that

DT - she is a "power-guard." She uses her physicality/power/strength a lot. Do you remember when Phoenix played Detroit in finals? This was Detroit - Laimbeer's "bullies." Phoenix put up a 3-2 zone and they stuck a "sg" (ie DT) in the middle of the zone. I don't remember specifically but I believe I can picture DT flying through the lane - pushing- shoving or whatever in order to compete for rebounds. She’s competing for rebounds against Karl Malone’s daughter who was a beast at the time. I believe at one point during the series, Bill Laimbeer complained about Phoenix’s physicality even though his team was known as an extremely, extremely physical team. IMO DT loves physical play and when you love physical paly intimidation is an important aspect. And as a result, sometimes she doesn’t look as stylish or pretty.

Maya is opposite. IMO she is finesse forward who relies on the beauty of her cuts or a quick efficient move to the basket. While he defense looks to bump her on a cut or when she is on the blocks look to body her up and try to muscle her away, how Maya combats that is either with graceful speed/quickness or she acts like she’s been struck in the head with the hammer. DT on the other hand needs to use her strength more to gain the separation that Maya uses with speed and quickness. Maya will look more graceful. DT is just more powerful. It’s ironic the power player is the guard and the graceful player is the forward.

I just think DT looks to physically fight through a player while Maya looks to use her athleticism to get by/around/over a player. I enjoy/love/see the beauty in both. I'm giddy when I get a chance to watch them compete against one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom