Maryland is subpoenaing the world | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Maryland is subpoenaing the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lawsuit getting ugly according to this: http://msn.foxsports.com/college-fo...cc-and-marylands-lawsuit-is-getting-nasty.php

"That's why the ACC is fighting so hard in this lawsuit, because it needs schools to believe that the $52 million exit fee is binding. Even if it takes years to prove that it isn't, and if this case goes to trial that's how long it would take to be resolved, so be it, that's years of default protection. To a large extent, the ACC's existence as a major conference is tied to the outcome of this Maryland lawsuit.

The ACC, while giving off the impression of strength, is actually still a house of cards."

Let's blow this house down!!

Now we know Buckaineer's actual name. This article reads like he wrote it with all the nonsense he talks about included. The ACC is the strongest it has ever been. The only thing that is a house of cards is the Maryland Athletics Department. That's why they flushed 7 sports programs.

The ACC has Maryland's offset money and can wait forever to try this case while Maryland keeps pulling up an empty hook on the end of its fishing pole.

Reaction Score
I liked this comment from the article.

"All this is pointing to the SEC model as the destination for all conferences to follow. The SEC doesn't need rights agreements because all members are treated equally and have a great deal. Successful conferences should respect the fact that every entity is a free agent that can take its marbles and go elsewhere at any time. Rights agreements are about PR and satisfaction of TV network execs. In other words, a smoke and mirrors tactic that ultimately doesn't address the real causes of members leaving."

Reaction Score
I liked this comment from the article.

"All this is pointing to the SEC model as the destination for all conferences to follow. The SEC doesn't need rights agreements because all members are treated equally and have a great deal. Successful conferences should respect the fact that every entity is a free agent that can take its marbles and go elsewhere at any time. Rights agreements are about PR and satisfaction of TV network execs. In other words, a smoke and mirrors tactic that ultimately doesn't address the real causes of members leaving."

When the football playoffs call for Conference Championship to participate, it will be interesting to see what some of the SEC schools think then because that Conference is the hardest one to become Conference Football Champion in. At the least the SEC will be pushing to increase the playoff to 8 teams, or some of its schools might see an easier path to a Conference Championship other places.

Reaction Score
Lawsuit getting ugly according to this: http://msn.foxsports.com/college-fo...cc-and-marylands-lawsuit-is-getting-nasty.php

"That's why the ACC is fighting so hard in this lawsuit, because it needs schools to believe that the $52 million exit fee is binding. Even if it takes years to prove that it isn't, and if this case goes to trial that's how long it would take to be resolved, so be it, that's years of default protection. To a large extent, the ACC's existence as a major conference is tied to the outcome of this Maryland lawsuit.

The ACC, while giving off the impression of strength, is actually still a house of cards."

Let's blow this house down!!

Despite's Swofford's overblown megalomania and acts looking like desperation, the ACC is fairly stable. At least 13 of its members appear committed to staying long term. Any mutual distrust the members had is pretty much gone. Even FSU appears that they will be staying. If they lecoulda his could set off mutual distrust amongst the membership again. But they'll find a way to get through it like they did when Maryland left. And it will still be a good landing spot for UConn.

If it's a fight between the ACC and the Big 12, the ACC wins.

Reaction Score
We're on the same side chief. I'm glad RU found a home, I wish it were us, but I'm happy for you. Hopefully we'll get a chance to be conference mates again.

We good?

Yep, solid.

Reaction Score
The ACC has Maryland's offset money and can wait forever to try this case

Excellent point. It is unjust that the ACC gets to hold money in dispute. I guess that's interest is for. Maryland won't have a chance to land a fish until a decision comes down.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I thought the Big East (WVU) and Big XII (Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Missouri) had also withheld "payments due" to their respective defecting schools in credit to schools' exit fee owances. I thought this was perfectly legal and representative of standard operating procedure. (Anyone who thinks Maryland will "beat" all exit fees entirely is delusional.)

Reaction Score
FSU was racking up losses before Bowden was "pushed" out. In fairness to Bowden, he turned around a program that managed a single win in the two seasons prior to him joining.

FSU, in the "bad decade" still ends up being the 8th best team of the BCS Era...98-2013
Final AP Rankings: 3-1-5-15-21-11-15-23-U-U-21-U-17-23-10-1...two national championships, 13 years end year ranked.

32 straight bowl appearances...current streak leader by a mile

6 straight consecutive bowl wins....national leader

Bowden came into Tallahassee and turned around a team that had just gone 0-11...within three years, Bowden had an undefeated Nole team playing in the Orange Bowl...masterful.

Jimbo came in after the Noles went 7-6 and within three years had them 12 game winners and Orange Bowl Champs...in his 4th year, he won the NC....also masterful

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FSU, in the "bad decade" still ends up being the 8th best team of the BCS Era...98-2013
Final AP Rankings: 3-1-5-15-21-11-15-23-U-U-21-U-17-23-10-1...two national championships, 13 years end year ranked.

32 straight bowl appearances...current streak leader by a mile

6 straight consecutive bowl wins....national leader

Bowden came into Tallahassee and turned around a team that had just gone 0-11...within three years, Bowden had an undefeated Nole team playing in the Orange Bowl...masterful.

Jimbo came in after the Noles went 7-6 and within three years had them 12 game winners and Orange Bowl Champs...in his 4th year, he won the NC....also masterful

Huh?

Did I say something that was inaccurate? If you check what I wrote I believe you'll find it to be accurate.

Reaction Score
Your statement of "racking up losses" needed to be put in perspective....Bobby finished three years of his last ten not in the final AP rankings....and never had a losing season, unlike Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Florid, etc.

While he was not as successful as in the past Bobby Bowden years, the statement "racking up losses" made him sound like Rodriguez, or Mac Brown. With his worst team in 30 some years, Bobby still beat a nine win WVU in the bowl...

Reaction Score
Ah. . . I must have been cherry picking data to create a less than flattering perception of reality.

Reaction Score
No...And I was just providing a larger perspective....I offered the record....

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
First, this from the comments:
More ESPN programming! "Requiem For The ACC" As a tearful Mike Kreyihasdhdski is interviewed from his nursing home still sporting a head of black hair. He intones in his nasal drawl: "Basketball in Greensboro was just the best. I mean for an entire weekend that place was the most important city in North Carolina....it was magical......and then Wojo would tell me........oh Wojo.......".(Coach K promptly falls apart but the cameras refuse to cut away. It's awkward).
lol at the bolded text.

Second, here's something I've wondered about. Since the GOR only covers home games (I'm not sure about neutral site, so let's set that aside for a moment) but each school continues to control it's scheduling, couldn't a school just agree to away games with their new conference mates with some kind of gate sharing agreement?

Reaction Score
Not play at home?...when 70-80% of athletic revenue is not from media contracts but from season tickets, concessions, boosters.

And if you do play at home, another conference owns the rights...

In some instances student fees pay for tickets...you would lose the student presence as well as money.

Nope. Never happen. Not when teams are doing everything that they can to get seven home games instead of six.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is quite literally the worst thread on the Boneyard that won't die.

None of you are lawyers and in the instance a few of you are, you don't know about what was happening behind the scenes.

The fact that two ACC fans need to come to a UConn message board to belabor the " legal" status and injustice of Maryland and ACC by laws is pathetic.

Please for the love of god just shut up and leave.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not play at home?...when 70-80% of athletic revenue is not from media contracts but from season tickets, concessions, boosters.

And if you do play at home, another conference owns the rights...

In some instances student fees pay for tickets...you would lose the student presence as well as money.

Nope. Never happen. Not when teams are doing everything that they can to get seven home games instead of six.
Agreed. It becomes another variable in negotiation for a team that wants to leave.

Reaction Score
Love this place...it's like the bar scene in Return of the Jedi.
Is it the bar or the place cabdriver's are above their station for intellectual stimulation? Whatever suits you're purpose I guess ! But not to worry I love ya anyway ha ha. Damn up here in the NE FB season is too far away for me. Its not like the south where spring FB draws huge crowd's and coverage.

Reaction Score
Hey Nicky....all's good.

How difficult is it getting from the 200 block of W 49th st. to the Garden?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey Nicky....all's good.

2 stops on the express subway. No problem at all. And if it is not bad weather, good 30 minute walk thru Times Square and past Port Authority.

Reaction Score
Hey Nicky....all's good.

Billy, it's very easy. Depending on whether you are closer to Broadway or 8th Ave you can either take the 1 train (downtown) from 50th & Broadway - go 2 stops to 34th St/Penn Station (that is the Garden). Or, the A/C/E train from 5oth & 8th Ave downtown 2 stops (also to 34th St/Penn Station). If it's a nice night, you should walk the 3/4 of a mile down 7th ave or 8th ave to MSG (20 city blocks equals approximately 1 mile, and the Garden is between 34th St and 31st St, as well as b/w 7th and 8th Ave). Safe travels, hope you have a great time in NYC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom