Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
interesting... lets see where this goes

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sounds like it's gonna be a she said, he said thing. Those never turn out very well for anybody.

Reaction Score
Sounds like it's gonna be a she said, he said thing. Those never turn out very well for anybody.
It actually looks like it'll be a they said, he said thing. The Washington Post article says there's a second alleged victim whose allegations are being investigated as a felony (the current charge is a misdemeanor). Maryland indefinitely suspended McKey last evening.

Reaction Score
McKey resigns today

typical Washington DC Friday afternoon news release

according to Washington Post staff

Last edited:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Poke Chapman was going the whole nine yards with one of her players at LSU- and she gets rewarded, moved up the ranks and coaches in the WNBA. I guess that is totally different because it was consensual?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Poke Chapman was going the whole nine yards with one of her players at LSU- and she gets rewarded, moved up the ranks and coaches in the WNBA. I guess that is totally different because it was consensual?

When something occurs between consenting adults it's certainly a lot different than when someone forces themselves on someone else. Just like in an employment situation, someone should not be involved with a subordinate - it's unethical, but it's nothing like physically assaulting someone.

Reaction Score
It would appear his career is over. The question in my mind is: Was this a date or something related to his job as coach. And was it understood by both as to the nature of her visit to his home/apt? With the amount of "minor" contact in what I have read--he's going to get some minor charge or no charge at all. But surely he is guilty of really really bad judgement. Let this be a warning to all Coaching Assistants--be professional at all times.

Reaction Score
When something occurs between consenting adults it's certainly a lot different than when someone forces themselves on someone else. Just like in an employment situation, someone should not be involved with a subordinate - it's unethical, but it's nothing like physically assaulting someone.

Those "in ones Charge like Studends, Scouts, church members, game players" are NOT Consenting Adults--they are under the POWER Position of the person in Charge and it is WRONG to step out of the professional position. She apparently thought he crossed the line, as a coach not as her boyfriend, by how he touched her and apparently went beyond the requested hug. Personally, I see nothing criminal in any of it--non professional and really bad judgement. How can a coach get this far with WBB without knowing what is right and acceptable and what isn't?? I agree it's unethical and managers/bosses should always step back when confronted with a "personal" situation!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
After she arrived at McKey’s home, the pair left the residence in a car to pick up food. She alleged McKey “inappropriately touched her leg, making her feel uncomfortable,” according to the complaint.

The accuser alleged that after returning to the residence, McKey offered her alcohol and later touched her on the buttocks twice without her permission. As she was leaving the residence, McKey asked for a hug, pulled her close to him “and she felt he was trying to kiss her at which time she pushed him away and left the residence,” according to the complaint.

I'm not sure that this rises to level of "physically assaulting" someone. I'm not even sure that it is sexual harassment, though that seems to be a closer call. As noted above, minimally he exercised exceptionally bad judgement. It would be very risky for another employer to put him in a similar position of authority over young women.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Pokey was removed from her position. She spent a couple of years floating (some overseas, I believe) before getting a job in PRO ball - a whole different game. Incidentally, no one in the general public really knows the details of the affair at LSU, it was never detailed. FWIW, I believe it will be impossible for her to ever get a college job again. Heck of a coach, by the way.

Reaction Score

Geno-ista. Pokey's thing wasn't different---only the University's approach to it was. It is Morally, ethically and criminally (in most states) for a person in a "position that controls some aspect of the victims life, or actions to have a sexual, or emotional relationship with that person"--Teachers, Priests, Ministers, Rabbi's, coaches, managers, (get the idea?) That is morally, ethically, criminally wrong--and in my opinion so was Pokey.

Reaction Score
McKey resigns today

typical Washington DC Friday afternoon news release

according to Washington Post staff

Only thing he could do to recover what's left of his reputation. I'm pretty sure the University asked for that to save them further embarrassment. What was despicable about this is that McKey's picture was plastered all over the NATIONAL evening news last night and he has yet to be found guilty of anything. Conviction by media!!!

Reaction Score

In many blogs in many places I have plead the Human Condition. Way too many people these days are going to jail or restrained or other nasty thing happening to them because they did something stupid, not intentionally criminal, just stupid. All, there are no exceptions, humans make mistakes, make errors in judgement, do the wrong thing at the wrong time, some times they add 2 plus 2 and because of distractions come out with 22.. That's HUMAN. Before we got overwhelmingly intrusive with new and different laws humans were allowed to be at least moderately human. Some human situations got people punched or slapped--situation resolved, without the scales of justice swinging or reputations destroyed.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Geno-ista. Pokey's thing wasn't different---only the University's approach to it was. It is Morally, ethically and criminally (in most states) for a person in a "position that controls some aspect of the victims life, or actions to have a sexual, or emotional relationship with that person"--Teachers, Priests, Ministers, Rabbi's, coaches, managers, (get the idea?) That is morally, ethically, criminally wrong--and in my opinion so was Pokey.
I do not think it is likely criminal at all - you would have to give me citations for that. It is different if the person is disabled, a minor, etc. but, as noted, 2 consenting adults and all that.

It is absolutely morally and ethically wrong. It is also often against policy where it involves college professors and coaches (and employees in companies). Interestingly, it wasn't "against policy" when she was booted from LSU, but they rectified that fairly quickly.

I married a former employee. When I realized she had an interest I informed her I could not date her as long as she was employed - so she quit and 27 years later still happy together.

Reaction Score
I do not think it is likely criminal at all - you would have to give me citations for that. It is different if the person is disabled, a minor, etc. but, as noted, 2 consenting adults and all that.

It is absolutely morally and ethically wrong. It is also often against policy where it involves college professors and coaches (and employees in companies). Interestingly, it wasn't "against policy" when she was booted from LSU, but they rectified that fairly quickly.

I married a former employee. When I realized she had an interest I informed her I could not date her as long as she was employed - so she quit and 27 years later still happy together.

The problem with a subordinate or person is an unequal position, student, scout, etc CONSENT is meaningless in that even without acknowledging, mentally, that they had a feeling of being powerless they went along with the "consented" act. That is why in many states IT IS A CRIMINAL act to have sex, consented or not, with a student, player, scout, etc. In the old days Professors had a lengthy unwritten list of new females to use as their "assistants" (if you get my meaning) > With the exceptional vast number of Female students and Female activists, they saw through those lecherous profs and now Consenting is a contentious term.
The world changes, sometimes it even evolves, and some changes are for the better--some not. It is much harder to charge and arrest a consenting act by a prof etc--age and status are mitigating factors. This then raises the question of : When is consenting not really consenting--like date rape??? McKey at MD seems to be asking a question along these lines and actual sex was not involved. New
World.
KnightBridgeAZ---In today's charged atmosphere you can be charged with sexual abuse, assault by an employee who has an agenda to get a promotion, or easy money from the company and/or you, or has high moral standards, if you do nothing more that put your hand on her shoulder as you lean over her desk to assist her. Be smart --hands off. Oh yes---millions of former bosses marry former employees.
If Louisana is like Arkansas, when Clintons and I lived there--the age of consent was 13. I'm not sure Of Louisana/ Don't put too much validity into Pokey creating a University rule change---they still live by the laws of the state and USA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I got carried away with the subject. You are right. You would ONLY be charged, if the "consenting" party wasn't drunk, underage, disabled, or charging you herself. Our government is very intrusive but most of us don't have to worry about them being in our bedrooms. If the law or some person in authority (and has no axe to grind) isn't contacted by the parents or the consenting person you have nothing to worry about.
What you did, or she did in quitting to continue the relationship speaks volumes about the morality of you and she (her?). Congratulation on maintaining a relationship for 27 years, or is it she who need the congrats.
I missed the point of your posting.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Pokey was removed from her position. She spent a couple of years floating (some overseas, I believe) before getting a job in PRO ball - a whole different game. Incidentally, no one in the general public really knows the details of the affair at LSU, it was never detailed. FWIW, I believe it will be impossible for her to ever get a college job again. Heck of a coach, by the way.
I can't see any males surviving an incident like that and becoming a pro coach after- maybe I'm wrong!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I can't see any males surviving an incident like that and becoming a pro coach after- maybe I'm wrong!

It's an interesting question - but, you'd have to go deeper into the example: A gay male head coach would have to be accused of sexual impropriety with a gay male player when that coach was an assistant. And the accuser would have to be that gay male head coach's former teammate and current assistant coach.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am really hazy on the Pokey situation, but I am pretty sure there was no question of consent, and I am pretty sure the accusations were from outside the relationship - a very different situation from 'date rape', or sexual harassment, or sexual assault. And I believe a man in a similar situation would be given the same chances that Pokey has received.

As for consenting relationships between adults in subordinate and superior positions - they are not by definition criminal. They do open the possibility of the superior being accused of sexual harassment, and they may be de facto grounds for dismissal based on personnel policies, and they are certainly questionable from an ethical standpoint, but they are not criminal unless the subordinate makes an accusation.

One of the interesting issues with the changes in law regarding hostile workplaces and sexual harassment in the workplace is that it is no longer based on some empirical standards, but rather on the perceptions of the accuser - there is still some 'reasonableness' requirement, but for a case to go forward it only requires that the accuser perceived they were being subjected to hostility or harassment. I was at a seminar years ago, and the lawyer leading the event said he and his fellows were calling the new laws 'the perpetual employment law' because anyone could 'make a case'.

In this particular situation it is interesting in that I believe the coach was no longer employed and so no longer in a 'superior position'. I am not saying it was not unpleasant, inappropriate, and creepy, but it does make for a slightly different legal situation. If you want to argue that too short a time had passed, then what would you define as appropriate - weeks, months, years?

Also, to be clear, age of consent is not the same thing as being legally a consenting adult. When I was working in TN years ago, I believe they had a 13 year old age of consent for women and a 16 year old age of consent for boys (this was related to marriage without parental consent) - something I found really strange. But that did not alter the legal standing of who was considered an adult, which remained 18. I was working in summer theater and the chorus in the production was made up of mostly school kids aged 12-16. Saturday matinees we often had significantly fewer chorus members as they were attending weddings of classmates. And our 24 year old lead actor was already married three times and having an affair with the leading actress. Very strange world for a CT Yankee.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
It's an interesting question - but, you'd have to go deeper into the example: A gay male head coach would have to be accused of sexual impropriety with a gay male player when that coach was an assistant. And the accuser would have to be that gay male head coach's former teammate and current assistant coach.
Hmmm- that sounds like a trick question!!! :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This actually got me thinking - there are numerous instances with a married couple working as coach and assistant coach - Jen at Hartford for example. (Not sure I can think of a single one with the HC being the male.) While no one seems to have a problem with that, it does create an interesting situation for any other assistant coaches who could claim an unfair work environment if they were disciplined unequally for similar behavior to the spouse

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
This actually got me thinking - there are numerous instances with a married couple working as coach and assistant coach - Jen at Hartford for example. (Not sure I can think of a single one with the HC being the male.) While no one seems to have a problem with that, it does create an interesting situation for any other assistant coaches who could claim an unfair work environment if they were disciplined unequally for similar behavior to the spouse

It seems like most companies and most schools would prohibit close relatives from working together. It seems very odd to me.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It seems like most companies and most schools would prohibit close relatives from working together. It seems very odd to me.
But I can think of a couple. The Daugherty's at Washington State; I'm pretty sure Kristi Curry's husband. Actually there is a women's volleyball program coached by a man, his wife has some other title, but they effectively are really co-head coaches. Also, at BYU, which made the volleyball final 4 last year, there was a husband / wife where the man was HC - he just moved over to their men's program this year and his wife replaced him (and I can't think why I know that, but I read it somewhere).

In WBB, the name Martin Clapp comes to mind. This is a few years ago, but I'm pretty sure his wife was either an assistant or at the least co-head coach.

And yes, it is odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall