Maryland 3 pt shooting vs UConn zone... | The Boneyard

Maryland 3 pt shooting vs UConn zone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
If, as several BYs predict, Geno decides to use more zone defense tonight to minimize fouls and counter Maryland's tall front line, the game may be decided by 3 pt shooting. Last year, Maryland made 148 3's on 34.5% shooting. (KML made 118 all by herself on 49% shooting.) Two players, Rutan and Pavlech made 100 of those 3's at a rate of 37%. When shooting from inside the 3 pt line, Maryland made 50.4% of their shots. No wonder only 20% of their shots were 3's.

This year, Maryland has shot 27 three pointers and made 7 for 25.9% accuracy. Rutan and Pavlech are 2-8 from 3 range. Two games is a small sample, but shooting 3's and making a high percentage is not Maryland's strong suit. With Dolson, Stewart and Stokes to rebound misses, Maryland may only get one chance each time down the court. It might make sense for Geno and UConn to force the Terps to rely on something they don't do as well, to win. We will see tonight...Go Huskies..!!

Reactions: HGN

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If, as several BYs predict, Geno decides to use more zone defense tonight to minimize fouls and counter Maryland's tall front line, the game may be decided by 3 pt shooting. Last year, Maryland made 148 3's on 34.5% shooting. (KML made 118 all by herself on 49% shooting.) Two players, Rutan and Pavlech made 100 of those 3's at a rate of 37%. When shooting from inside the 3 pt line, Maryland made 50.4% of their shots. No wonder only 20% of their shots were 3's.

This year, Maryland has shot 27 three pointers and made 7 for 25.9% accuracy. Rutan and Pavlech are 2-8 from 3 range. Two games is a small sample, but shooting 3's and making a high percentage is not Maryland's strong suit. With Dolson, Stewart and Stokes to rebound misses, Maryland may only get one chance each time down the court. It might make sense for Geno and UConn to force the Terps to rely on something they don't do as well, to win. We will see tonight...Go Huskies..!!
Dave great analysis. UConns defense will win out tonight. Our offense seems to have many UConn fans worried. Don't worry we play smart team BB. We will get our shots and we will score on turnovers from our pressure. MD is the team that is all hyped up about beating us and us playing in their place. Well now they've got to prove it.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Excellent analysis but I expect a different script. My expectation is that the Maryland game plan will be to try to get the ball inside (especially to Thomas), strive for lots of close shots, and hope for baskets, fouls on UConn bigs, or offensive rebounds.

If I am correct, best UConn defense is to make it difficult for Terp guards to make that vital pass to post or teammate near the basket. To disrupt them there is to snag steals or otherwise disrupt half-court offense.

Let's see how this plays out.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Excellent analysis but I expect a different script. My expectation is that the Maryland game plan will be to try to get the ball inside (especially to Thomas), strive for lots of close shots, and hope for baskets, fouls on UConn bigs, or offensive rebounds.

If I am correct, best UConn defense is to make it difficult for Terp guards to make that vital pass to post or teammate near the basket. To disrupt them there is to snag steals or otherwise disrupt half-court offense.

Let's see how this plays out.
I agree with you. MD better have good ball handlers. I see a lot of defections.

HGN

Reaction Score

I too believe that Geno will play some zone in order to counter Maryland's height and depth and limit their scoring a bit. Ticky tack fouls also has to be a concern for Geno because we won't have as much depth. Maryland has a big strong team with a super star leading them. But I don't believe it will be enough to counter our team play , defense , and 2 AA still in the lineup.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rutan is a very good shooter. Don't leave her open.

I like our ball pressure from Moriah, Bria, Brianna, and Saniya.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
As I mentioned previously, I certainly would not be suprised to see *some* additional minutes of Zone tonight. I think there are some good reasons for it tonight.

But GA still will stay in the M2M and sag off of players that the scouting report says aren't a threat from deep. They always do this, and did it vs. Stanford where at times it looked like zone but really MoJeff and Bria were (at times) playing way off their opponent, parked closer to the FT line than the 3pt line (where the ball was).

As Kib says, we will just have to see how it plays out.

If we do start the 3 Bigs, as DD and many others predict, that is one FEARSOME group to take it inside on, zone or no zone.

Reaction Score
UConn has to be smart about when to run, when to press and to stay away from fouling. Also, there can't be wasted possessions, such as an excess number of turnovers or forced shots. Stef, Stewie and Kiah have to aggressively hit the glass. You will see the zone defense to prevent fouling. If there's a team that can overcome injuries to two key players, it is UConn. I have all the confidence in the world in our team. Penn St. will not be as difficult a game as Maryland. Shut down Machine Gun Maggie, and Penn St. will have difficulty scoring points. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I don't really expect any more zone than UConn normally plays, which is occasionally going to the 2-3 matchup zone that Geno has taught for decades now. Keeping Maryland off of the offensive boards is as important as anything, particularly because if they get offensive rebounds it leads to fouls on put back attempts zone or no zone. And keeping them off the offensive glass is better accomplished playing the man to man that the players are most familiar enough.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Geno was NOT happy with the zone defense tonight. As Rebecca interviewed him says, "I guess I'm the anti-Boeheim, I dunno."

Rebecca didn't get the joke.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And David gets the gold star for his analysis and the CD award for scouting - she always says the kid who hasn't hit a three all year and the coaches decide to leave wide open proceeds to go 6 of 8 from distance against Uconn. Wasn't that bad but certainly had a bit of that feel in the first ten minutes when even the banked threes were going in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom