Marcus Easley gets paid! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Marcus Easley gets paid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
If he immediately moves to Panama, Costa Rica, the Dominican or somewhere else the US dollar goes a long way he may not have to work. if he buys a profitable business and invests very wisely he may not have to work. However, he should plan on working.

He's in the 40% tax bracket. Add in state income tax (NY has one right?) and he's bringing home roughly half of what he is "paid".

If he actually gets paid the full value of the contract, he'll have brought home about 3.5 million, and will be 31 years old.

They don't get an NFL pension until 55, and that amount is roughly $500/month for each season. I don't know how his injuries effect that (lost 1-2 years) but if he plays 10 years, he'll get about $5k/month. Sounds nice, but that $60k/ year will be in 2043 dollars (pension may adjust for inflation, I don't know).

So if he didn't work after football, he'd have to live 28 years on $3.5 million. That's $125k/year after taxes. This is where perspective becomes important. If you're used to raising a family of 3 or 4 on $125-150k year, then $125k/year as a single guy sounds incredible. If you're used to being a single guy, bringing home $250-$300k a year, and then are told you have to cut your spending in half, while you have as much free time as you want, (since you're not working), then you may have a hard time "living within your means". If you plan on having a family, someone will be working.

It's a great story, walk-on, endured injuries, and now gets a very good contract for his position/role. We should all be proud of him as a Husky. He's done well for himself, all I'm saying is he shouldn't plan on retiring after football.

I agree with where you are going on this, but let's not forget that even a 3% return on an invested $3.5million is over $100k/year in income as well.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I agree with where you are going on this, but let's not forget that even a 3% return on an invested $3.5million is over $100k/year in income as well.

That would be true if he didn't spend a dime, NOT A DIME, in the next four years..

:)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Let's also remember he's already made more than $1m prior to this contract.

As others have said, he may not be super rich, but if he stays healthy for the next 4-5 years he has put himself in a position to have income of approximately $150K/yr for the rest of his life without ever working a day after the age of 35.

He has a great story and has kept himself out of the headlines for the wrong reasons. He can pull in another $100k/yr after football.

So, he'll have a million or so bucks in the bank and get paid between $150k-$250K every year the rest of his life. Definitely a 1%.

Reaction Score
opinions are like armpits...
and I don't believe I crapped on it but we will agree to disagree.

Go Huskies!!

I'm getting PAID tonight - Direct Deposit too!

It's just a bizarre reaction to have to say 'YEA WELL SO AND SO MAKES MORE'

Ummm, okay? I don't think the thread was titled "Marcus Easley gets biggest contract in history of the NFL"

Reaction Score
Funny. I sat with Sio and Blidi one day. Told them that the day they get drafted they have a new peer group. They have more in common with me than they do with the people they grew up with.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Funny. I sat with Sio and Blidi one day. Told them that the day they get drafted they have a new peer group. They have more in common with me than they do with the people they grew up with.

Are you in the NFL or do they hang out on The Boneyard?

;)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hope he doesn't blow it. Anyone see the 30 for 30 on pro players going broke? Crazy stories.

Same here. He has the opportunity to make sound financial choices that can set him up for life.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Comparing Easley's contract with Suh or Revis is silly. For a better comparison, let's compare to Matthew Slater (arguably the NFL's top special teams player). The Pats just re-signed him to a 2 year $4M extension with $2M signing bonus. When you compare Easley with Slater, it puts Easley on par with the league's top special teams players. Congrats to Marcus...it's well deserved to such a good player and person.

Reaction Score
So you have trained your proteges so well that they are now ready to step in when you're busy? Great news for the rest of us. LOL.

All part of Jimmy's Master Plan ... The Great Boneyard Purge ....

maxresdefault.jpg

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
2.5 million guaranteed is NOT getting paid as he could be cut in August - or next off season - but congrats on Easley - well deserved.

Suh with 60 million guaranteed is getting paid...
Calculate how many years it will take you to earn 2.5mil and then tell me its not "getting paid".

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Calculate how many years it will take you to earn 2.5mil and then tell me its not "getting paid".
5.7 years...about the same amount of time it will take the overpaid OL coach on staff.
;)

Bonehead

Reaction Score

22.3 years at my current salary not including any pay raises or bonuses - you?

To me getting paid is not worrying about $$ again - I just gave an example of someone who got 'paid' who is recently working at McD - who knows maybe management.

We just define the word paid differently probably the same way we would disagree on the definition of a service or good described as cheap or expensive.

Suh got paid - Easley resigned. Many people live to their means - it's easier to live to 2.5 than it is to 60 mil. Seoul gave a great run down on the actual cash Marcus will see. To each their own.

Last edited:

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
22.3 years at my current salary not including any pay raises or bonuses - you?

To me getting paid is not worrying about $$ again - .

Just a few less than you. However, at my age, if someone handed me $2.5 cash Im never worrying about money again. I guarantee it. I'm low maintenance, I could live one hell of a life just on the interest.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Just a few less than you. However, at my age, if someone handed me $2.5 cash Im never worrying about money again. I guarantee it. I'm low maintenance, I could live one hell of a life just on the interest.

Assuming single and no kis...
;)

Good for you making that strong money at your young age - but the part that you have wrong, I believe, is that he wasn't handed 2.5 million - taxes and such and don't know if bonus and/or the guaranteed $ is all up front or paid over time but even if handed the 1.7 mil bonus and he loses roughly 40% off the bat.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Good for you making that strong money at your young age - but the part that you have wrong, I believe, is that he wasn't handed 2.5 million - taxes and such and don't know if bonus and/or the guaranteed $ is all up front or paid over time but even if handed the 1.7 mil bonus and he loses roughly 40% off the bat.
Im 47. Give me 1.7 in the bank and I guarantee you I can find someone to pay me a significant return. 8% yield on 1.7 is plenty to carry on my middle class existence in to eternity. Im a simple man.

(If I get to keep my 401k and real estate on top of the 1.7. Then im really fine) :) I get your point though. at Easley's age, its not really money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom