Marchi Not Signing Wednesday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Marchi Not Signing Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I had hoped he could have gone to prep school and enrolled next January, but based on these articles it seems that along with the admissions problem there also seems to be a separate disconnect with Diaco.

Reaction Score
This news frosts me on many levels.
1. As a St. Paul grad, I know how that school values academics. It is a veritable college prep school of itself.

The lols, they're killing me here.

As for this kid, the obvious bet would be he did something really, really stupid to get him kicked out of St. Paul, and they allowed him to 'transfer out'. But I don't know. I know guys who had DUIs and other such legal issues and didn't get kicked out of St. Paul's, so either he did something really terrible or there's an issue with the new UConn staff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There has been much speculation as to why Marchi did not get admitted to UConn. I was at the St.Paul game this evening and am also a ST.Paul grad . I spoke to 4 different people who would have insight into this situation ( not going to mention names, you just have to trust me). The basic answer was that he had his opportunity to get his academics in order and he did not. All said he was a good kid. All said UConn had no choice but to do what they did. I was not told if it was SAT or core requirements ( I probably should have asked put didn't).

I wish him the best, and I was also hoping to see a St.Paul Falcon get the opportunity to QB at UConn.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
There has been much speculation as to why Marchi did not get admitted to UConn. I was at the St.Paul game this evening and am also a ST.Paul grad . I spoke to 4 different people who would have insight into this situation ( not going to mention names, you just have to trust me). The basic answer was that he had his opportunity to get his academics in order and he did not. All said he was a good kid. All said UConn had no choice but to do what they did. I was not told if it was SAT or core requirements ( I probably should have asked put didn't).

I wish him the best, and I was also hoping to see a St.Paul Falcon get the opportunity to QB at UConn.

Thanks for the inside look, UCJoe.

As someone who wasted an opportunity as a young man, because I was too immature to map out my future, I feel for Logan.

I bounced back from my mistake because I came from a great family and was also a "good kid".

He may never play college football or become a UConn student but Logan Marchi will be just fine if he stays the course.

Life is not easy but it's a hell of a lot more manageable when you're a good person.

If we're selling stock in Logan Marchi or starting his fan club, I'll gladly invest in both.

Any chance he preps and comes back next year?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Were you lucky enough to know Mrs Mielcarz while at St Paul? What year did you graduate joet?

Reaction Score
You, know I've been clear that I wish the kid the best and hope that all works out for him, but I need to reflect for a second on all of this.

UCONN fans around here tend to be such self-flagellators. A kid gets a scholarship offered pulled a week before signing day and automatically it's the fault of someone or somebody at the school. We suck....Ahhh - (Wayne's world referrence).

The reality here, as I suspected all along, is that the school waited as long as we possibly could to honor this kids commitment and hold a scholarship, and the kid didn't deliver what was required. UCONN is now down a quarterback in this class.

Yet somehow, UCONN fans automatically think it's a problem with the school or something. THe problem the school has here, is that we didn't have a backup QB to offer and sign right away. We are now down a QB again (we missed a class with a QB a few years ago under Edsall) because we waited for this kid, and didn't have a backup plan.

You can bet your ass that had Diaco and Co. been on the job long enough, and a QB (or any other player) in the recruiting class - for whatever reason - not been able to sign an NLI on signing day - there would be anohter QB ready to come in. Not like it hasn't happened before - and we got a good kid in Kivon Taylor on the roster now because of it.

Best of luck to this player in the future. THis is the business of college football.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll add this.

If it's true that there were academic issues that UConn gave him time to try and straighten out and he didn't, then making a statement to that effect to the media would be the right thing to do.

He isn't compelled to do it, but if UConn gave him every chance to make it and he came up short and now he sees UConn catching flak over their gesture, it's usually good practice to help clear their name of any blame.

Reaction Score
The lols, they're killing me here.

As for this kid, the obvious bet would be he did something really, really stupid to get him kicked out of St. Paul, and they allowed him to 'transfer out'. But I don't know. I know guys who had DUIs and other such legal issues and didn't get kicked out of St. Paul's, so either he did something really terrible or there's an issue with the new UConn staff.

Yes...our staff went to St Paul's school and humiliated the kid in front of everyone. Oh wait...that's right..it's Rutger's coaches who humiliate their players in front of others in classrooms and not on the field.

Moron.....

Reaction Score
I was also at St Paul for a basketball game. I spoke to several people about this situation. The info I received was that the school,dropped the bal

I was also at a basketball game at St. Paul. I spoke to several people about this situation. The information I got was a little bit more accurate. I heard that the school did not set him up with enough NCAA core course requirements in his freshman year or his sophomore year. His parents, who spent thousands of dollars for those two years discovered this and brought it to the attention of the administration. His parents became frustrated and wanted to transfer Logan at that point. The administration, after seeing the attention Logan was bringing to the enrollment dying school, asked them to reconsider and stay loyal to the football program Logan was helping to build. Logan's parents, as were most of us, were not to familiar with the rigors of NCAA eligibility and they relied on their tuition and Coach Jude Kelly and the school guidance department to guide them, this apparently failed. They decided to stay loyal to the football team (it's called a commitment Diaco) and due to financial issues transferred after the first semester of his senior year. If they waited until the second semester , they would be responsible for the entire years tuition, no conspiracy.

I also heard from a reliable source ( you just have to trust me ) that Logan was NCAA eligible and actual had an sat score 60 points higher than a particular Connecticut running back.

Reaction Score
I was also at St Paul for a basketball game. I spoke to several people about this situation. The info I received was that the school,dropped the bal

I was also at a basketball game at St. Paul. I spoke to several people about this situation. The information I got was a little bit more accurate. I heard that the school did not set him up with enough NCAA core course requirements in his freshman year or his sophomore year. His parents, who spent thousands of dollars for those two years discovered this and brought it to the attention of the administration. His parents became frustrated and wanted to transfer Logan at that point. The administration, after seeing the attention Logan was bringing to the enrollment dying school, asked them to reconsider and stay loyal to the football program Logan was helping to build. Logan's parents, as were most of us, were not to familiar with the rigors of NCAA eligibility and they relied on their tuition and Coach Jude Kelly and the school guidance department to guide them, this apparently failed. They decided to stay loyal to the football team (it's called a commitment Diaco) and due to financial issues transferred after the first semester of his senior year. If they waited until the second semester , they would be responsible for the entire years tuition, no conspiracy.

I also heard from a reliable source ( you just have to trust me ) that Logan was NCAA eligible and actual had an sat score 60 points higher than a particular Connecticut running back.

I'm not sure I fully follow your post here, famiglia. You seem to be condemning "the school", St. Paul's for failing to properly advise Logan, but then later say that because of his loyalty he actually WAS eligible. You then take a swipe at Draco for a lack of commitment. How did St. Paul's screw up if Logan was eligible? I guess you say we have to trust you, but how do you (or your source) know the academic standing of "a particular Connecticut running back"? I don't even know the SAT scores of my daughter's best friends!

I'm not trying to pound on you famiglia, just trying to understand your criticism of both St. Paul's and Draco and how you could know this private information on other students.

Reaction Score
Well, I guess we know who the front runner is for the 2014 Boneyard Award for the most popular player never to wear the uniform in a game.

Reaction Score
Yes...our staff went to St Paul's school and humiliated the kid in front of everyone. Oh wait...that's right..it's Rutger's coaches who humiliate their players in front of others in classrooms and not on the field.

Moron.....

I'm trying to figure out where I said any of that.

And he didn't have the requirements to enroll? That seems strange when half of my class went to UConn.

And I remember Mrs. Mielcarz!

Reaction Score
Seems like others have different account of what happened. I
Were you lucky enough to know Mrs Mielcarz while at St Paul? What year did you graduate joet?
I graduated in 1977. I did know Mrs. Mielcarz. Great lady. My son who graduated from St.Paul 7 years ago was also lucky enough be have gotten to know her. On a side note Logan Marchi's # 1 wide receiving target from St. Paul ( Reid Morin) is looking to be a preferred walk on at UConn.

Reaction Score
Famiglia just to be clear...just becase someone is NCAA eligible doesn't mean they will be admitted to UCONN by admissions. It has happened a few times in the past.

Reaction Score
Does anyone knows WHY Marchi didn't sign? I hope it wasn't the firing of PP that did it. Did he sign anywhere?

Reaction Score
Does anyone knows WHY Marchi didn't sign? I hope it wasn't the firing of PP that did it. Did he sign anywhere?

Husky Say Wut.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If it was just UConn admission standards why didn't a Temple type school not snag him up?

Reaction Score
Virtually every coach prefers to have a QB in each class. Whatever happened, whether it was failure to meet admissions standards or something else, left the new staff short-handed. With several extra scholarships available its almost inconceivable that this could be something within their control. That seems to be reinforced by the fact that it appears they may have only begun looking for an alternative (e.g. Linta) at the last minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom