Malik Newman (Committed to Mississippi State) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Malik Newman (Committed to Mississippi State)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I could see him at a&m or Mississippi state . Both of those are ideal for him to walk in and use his freshman year as prep for the league.

But if he wants to learn the nuance of running pg , he won't learn it there.

Reaction Score
I think we stay involved and in the mix in case DHam or Purvis blow up and leave early. I'm sure he would start anywhere day 1 but UK and KU will definitely have less competition and therefore a better platform IMO if he wants to put up big numbers.

Reaction Score
That's not exactly something to be impressed by, a kid big timing major college basketball programs. He does have his own personal branding website, which shows he's not averse to the spotlight. I do respect his dedication to craft though.

I have always felt like his website and all that are more his father and the rest of his camp knowing that to maximize Malik's future earning potential they need to market him because off the court he's not going to market himself. I could be wrong.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have always felt like his website and all that are more his father and the rest of his camp knowing that to maximize Malik's future earning potential they need to market him because off the court he's not going to market himself. I could be wrong.

I personally have nothing against it mind you. Gotta do what you got to do. I was merely saying it was not representative of someone who shying away from media/hype game.

Reaction Score

I'm not calling anyone out on this thread, but more commenting on posts I've seen regarding Malik on other threads. The narrative among some boneyarders that the kid is full of himself because he is self-marketing is one of the dumber things I've read on the boneyard. The fact he has a website and is trying to maximize his future earning potential is smart. Good for him for starting it now.

I don't know anything about the kid to say whether or not he is full of himself, but I definitely wouldn't assume he is just because of his website.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
Why join Drake when you can beat him at UConn?..
dd81d9f4bece11e399980002c9c7c462_8.jpg

Reaction Score
@InsideBBRecruit: 2015 Callaway (MS) 5* SG Malik Newman (@iammaliknewman) tells me he will cut his list down before the start of his final high school season.

Reaction Score
UConn arranged a tour of ESPN for a women's basketball player - violation. Kentucky arranges to meet a music star, no violation.

Good point and the main difference in the women's game is "women". I mean no other guys coach is going to complain about Moore (or a guy) checking out ESPN or even better, KO calling a LL kid from Los Angeles looking to won the LL World Series at the age of 12 on national TV with a UConn dream.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Good point and the main difference in the women's game is "women". I mean no other guys coach is going to complain about Moore (or a guy) checking out ESPN or even better, KO calling a LL kid from Los Angeles looking to won the LL World Series at the age of 12 on national TV with a UConn dream.

I'll add that UTenn has both a men's and a women's athletic department. The woman's AD has a massive bug up her butt.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'll add that UTenn has both a men's and a women's athletic department. The woman's AD has a massive bug up her butt.

I think that tenn consolidated the men and women athletics under one AD several years ago.

Reaction Score
To me the key to that Zags article is Rob Dauster's comments. While most coaches focus on actual coaching, Cal is focusing all his mental faculties on seducing 18 yr olds and the media. I have to admit in this regard he is the best. He is a symptom of what college sports is becoming. He is ESPN 's beast.

pj

Reaction Score
The SEC and ACC are ESPN's big properties, and UK is the biggest basketball property in the SEC. It is like the over the top Duke promotion of yesteryear. They think they can get the casual fans to tune in by making a celebrity star.

It's a shame that kids let their basketball futures be influenced by this propaganda, and that parents are not immune to it either. It is the glamor of celebritydom, people like to be associated with a celebrity even if it brings no tangible benefits.

Calipari exaggerates the success of his alumni because it neutralizes the critique that he doesn't actually develop players.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The SEC and ACC are ESPN's big properties, and UK is the biggest basketball property in the SEC. It is like the over the top Duke promotion of yesteryear. They think they can get the casual fans to tune in by making a celebrity star.

It's a shame that kids let their basketball futures be influenced by this propaganda, and that parents are not immune to it either. It is the glamor of celebritydom, people like to be associated with a celebrity even if it brings no tangible benefits.

Calipari exaggerates the success of his alumni because it neutralizes the critique that he doesn't actually develop players.

That Calipari "exaggerates" things doesn't bother me. Most coaches pitch to kids the things that highlight themselves and their program. His kids are in the NBA and are making big money. That's an easy sell to the top recruits who have a realistic dream of getting to the NBA. I'm sure JC informed recruits regarding how many of his players were in the NBA. Yes, JC developed players. A lot of them. But it is debatable whether some of the best and most successful players that came out of UConn could have had successful careers in the NBA if they had attended different universities.

Calipari doesn't have to debate whether that same thing would or would not have happened if the kids went elsewhere. He would be stupid to do so and I doubt any coach goes into discussion with a recruit regarding the weaknesses of their program. So far he has managed to juggle the various strong egos very well, and although he may not have developed their skills at the level of JC, he has managed to get them to play alongside one another and be successful while getting a good number into the NBA. Like many others I'm hoping this model breaks down and he becomes exposed.

The first point you make I feel is far more important. Regarding the essence of the process you describe I'm in firm agreement. ESPN is taking successful programs that they broadcast and are promoting them in an inequitable way to increase ESPN's economic reward. From ESPN's perspective it's about increasing market share. The way you do that in the college landscape is to create programs you "own" which can develop polarity. A very successful team will have a lot of band wagon followers. You want to keep that going for as long as possible. But just as importantly, and maybe even more so, these programs will have a lot of people wanting to see that team lose. For every passionate Duke fan out there I wonder how many passionate anti Duke fans there are. When Duke plays, how many fans tuning into a Duke game are watching with the hopes Duke loses? That's a win for ESPN. Dukie V was inspirational at creating this ratings coup for ESPN. Being obnoxious about Duke elevated the visceral dislike fans of other colleges had towards Duke.

It's a fine line ESPN has to walk. They can't be so obvious that they alienate and disenfranchise too many college bb fans. And they have to be somewhat discreet because contracts change and they will be bidding in the future for products. But they can do things that most people will dismiss as being conspiratorial, such as having a well respected old codger "all of a sudden" become promotional to one program or elevating their emphasis on college freshman at the expense of established college players when it gives a distinct advantage to one of their programs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn arranged a tour of ESPN for a women's basketball player - violation. Kentucky arranges to meet a music star, no violation.
Well if by arranged you mean telephoned ESPN to find out about EPSN's publically available tour, then yes UConn "arranged" a tour. It was considered a secondary violation though.

Reaction Score
That Calipari "exaggerates" things doesn't bother me. Most coaches pitch to kids the things that highlight themselves and their program. His kids are in the NBA and are making big money. That's an easy sell to the top recruits who have a realistic dream of getting to the NBA. I'm sure JC informed recruits regarding how many of his players were in the NBA. Yes, JC developed players. A lot of them. But it is debatable whether some of the best and most successful players that came out of UConn could have had successful careers in the NBA if they had attended different universities.

Calipari doesn't have to debate whether that same thing would or would not have happened if the kids went elsewhere. He would be stupid to do so and I doubt any coach goes into discussion with a recruit regarding the weaknesses of their program. So far he has managed to juggle the various strong egos very well, and although he may not have developed their skills at the level of JC, he has managed to get them to play alongside one another and be successful while getting a good number into the NBA. Like many others I'm hoping this model breaks down and he becomes exposed.

The first point you make I feel is far more important. Regarding the essence of the process you describe I'm in firm agreement. ESPN is taking successful programs that they broadcast and are promoting them in an inequitable way to increase ESPN's economic reward. From ESPN's perspective it's about increasing market share. The way you do that in the college landscape is to create programs you "own" which can develop polarity. A very successful team will have a lot of band wagon followers. You want to keep that going for as long as possible. But just as importantly, and maybe even more so, these programs will have a lot of people wanting to see that team lose. For every passionate Duke fan out there I wonder how many passionate anti Duke fans there are. When Duke plays, how many fans tuning into a Duke game are watching with the hopes Duke loses? That's a win for ESPN. Dukie V was inspirational at creating this ratings coup for ESPN. Being obnoxious about Duke elevated the visceral dislike fans of other colleges had towards Duke.

It's a fine line ESPN has to walk. They can't be so obvious that they alienate and disenfranchise too many college bb fans. And they have to be somewhat discreet because contracts change and they will be bidding in the future for products. But they can do things that most people will dismiss as being conspiratorial, such as having a well respected old codger "all of a sudden" become promotional to one program or elevating their emphasis on college freshman at the expense of established college players when it gives a distinct advantage to one of their programs.
I agree. I just hate when intelligent people act like he is a great coach. That he developed players. A future hall of famer. He is a great salesmen but there are hundreds of better coaches.

Reaction Score
As far as NBA appeal, I think KO is up there in the college ranks. Sure he hasn't assisted anthony davis and john wall into the league, but Ollies probably just as well known by league front office execs. Does anybody have any idea how our new facilities match up with what kentucky did 2 years ago?

Reaction Score
Let me put it this way. He was not considered a genius when he coached in the NBA. I know he didn't have the best franchise but my point is if everyone had the same talent he works with, he would get buried in the crowd. So his true value is in sales and motivational talk....period. Good for him but I'm glad he doesn't coach our program. I would like him as a recruiter though.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Talk out there is that European & Chinese teams have reached out to this kid, and spending a year playing overseas is becoming a more realistic option.

Obviously we're not involved anymore, but it's still interesting to see what decisions the "top" kids make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom