Malik Newman (Committed to Mississippi State) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Malik Newman (Committed to Mississippi State)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Guys, did you know that Gurleyman has the NCAA team ppg record memorized?

Knew it was around 120, but had to look it up. I do remember 149-115 without looking it up (the score against defending national champion Michigan in the second round), including the 11 threes from Jeff Fryer. I wanted to be Jeff Fryer when I grew up (actually, he was my age - I was already in college then).

Reaction Score
That Marymount team was special, to this day when I see any special on Hank Gathers I cry. I recommend anyone who likes basketball to watch the 30 for 30 about that Loyola Marymount team and Paul Westhead's philosophy, it's called "Guru of Go."

Reaction Score
Malik Newman (2015 6’4″ 185 lbs. Callaway): Newman has all of the attributes of a great scoring guard. He’s confident in his shot, likes to attack the rim and he can shoot. While the athleticism isn’t elite, his ability to get his shot off and find ways to score are. He’s a natural two-guard, who can play the one, but he’ll need to develop his ability to facilitate. He’s too much score-first to really run the point right now. At times, his shot selection isn’t what you’d want. You love the confidence he displays, but with that comes the occasional bad shot. He’s also not as engaged defensively as he is on the offensive end. Newman has good burst off the dribble and gets in to the lane with relative ease at the high school level. He plays with good body control and absorbs contact well in the lane. He has excellent range on his three-ball and shows good elevation on his jumper. Overall, Newman will be a very skilled collegiate scorer and if he can continue to refine his overall game he has a chance to be very special as he moves on in his basketball career.

http://hardwoodhoopscentral.com/this-is-our-summer-eybl-player-breakdown-part-10

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Malik Newman (2015 6’4″ 185 lbs. Callaway): Newman has all of the attributes of a great scoring guard. He’s confident in his shot, likes to attack the rim and he can shoot. While the athleticism isn’t elite, his ability to get his shot off and find ways to score are. He’s a natural two-guard, who can play the one, but he’ll need to develop his ability to facilitate. He’s too much score-first to really run the point right now. At times, his shot selection isn’t what you’d want. You love the confidence he displays, but with that comes the occasional bad shot. He’s also not as engaged defensively as he is on the offensive end. Newman has good burst off the dribble and gets in to the lane with relative ease at the high school level. He plays with good body control and absorbs contact well in the lane. He has excellent range on his three-ball and shows good elevation on his jumper. Overall, Newman will be a very skilled collegiate scorer and if he can continue to refine his overall game he has a chance to be very special as he moves on in his basketball career.

http://hardwoodhoopscentral.com/this-is-our-summer-eybl-player-breakdown-part-10

I know he's not like him, but this sounds very similar to Shabazz coming in. Minus the 'natural 2' and the 'not engaged' bits.

Reaction Score
I know he's not like him, but this sounds very similar to Shabazz coming in. Minus the 'natural 2' and the 'not engaged' bits.
What little I've seen of him, he reminds me a lot of Russell Westbrook. He handles the ball like a PG and is as dangerous outside as he is driving to the basket. He's very strong and athletic. In that international game I watch, it looked like if they gave him the ball every time down the floor and told him to score, their opponent would not have been able to stop him. When he gets on a role, similar to Bazz, he's as close to unstoppable as any rising senior I've ever seen.

Like Emmanuel Mudiay, I think Newman is a risky fall pickup. He's saying spring, which is probably a good thing for any program that gets him. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to land him. He's a one year player at best based on what I saw. Since he's not deciding till spring, KO will stock up with the best 4 to 5 players who are ready to say yes this fall. If we have an available ship come spring and have filled all the positions of need, then I'd love to see him land here in Storrs. I'm not saying he will play for pay somewhere next fall, but I would not be shocked in the least if that happens. I just hope he doesn't leave some program in the lurch by bolting oversees during the summer or late spring after the signing period has come and gone.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think he sounds very similar to Ben Gordon actually. Not the best defender or facilitator, elite jumpshot with great elevation, very good but not elite athliticism, and a lot of confidence. I don't see Shabazz though.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
Newman has 3 in home visits scheduled for this week which includes both Kansas and Kentucky on 9/9 and then KO will visit on 9/10. He also has an official visit scheduled to Texas A&M on 10/11...we are still very much involved

Reaction Score
Newman has 3 in home visits scheduled for this week which includes both Kansas and Kentucky on 9/9 and then KO will visit on 9/10. He also has an official visit scheduled to Texas A&M on 10/11...we are still very much involved

Excellent! *Slow diabolical laugh*

Reaction Score
So, it's us, UK, KU, and tamu. Mississippi St. will also be involved to the end. This seems to be an unoffical top 5. Should be fun to follow.

Reaction Score
Is possible for us to land Newman , stone , and enoch ? Newman obviously has us in his top 5, this is his second meeting with KO.

Reaction Score
Is possible for us to land Newman , stone , and enoch ? Newman obviously has us in his top 5, this is his second meeting with KO.
I mean of course it's possible...

intlzncster

Reaction Score

As long as a scholarship frees up later on. Those things have a habit of working out though.

Reaction Score

I'm skeptical on Newman. Enoch and one of the wings seems very realistic. Stone could come down to the wire.

Reaction Score
IMO best case scenario right now is Adams, Jones, Enoch, and Stone. Then, if Purivs or D Ham goes pro, we get Newman or Clarke (who I know is planning on deciding in the Fall, however). That would be a top 5 class, and probably UCONN's highest rated ever.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
IMO best case scenario right now is Adams, Jones, Enoch, and Stone. Then, if Purivs or D Ham goes pro, we get Newman or Clarke (who I know is planning on deciding in the Fall, however). That would be a top 5 class, and probably UCONN's highest rated ever.

I honestly don't care If we get Clarke or jones - they each bring different advantages based on defense, length of stay, and highlight reel material. I agree withe the rest of your assessment though.

Does anyone know how Clarke and Baptiste's visits went this past weekend?

Reaction Score
From Rivals:

Monday morning, Courtney Cronin of the Jackson Clarion-Ledger reported that Malik Newman, the No. 3 player in the class of 2015, will host three in-home visits this week. Cronin also confirmed with Newman and his father Horatio Webster that Newman has set up his first official visit.

First let's talk about the visits that we now know about. Kansas, Kentucky and Connecticut will be in to conduct visits with Newman and his family. Additionally, Rivals.com has confirmed that N.C. State will be in as well. The official visit that has been set is to Texas A&M the weekend of Oct. 11.

For the past couple of months, Newman has been very quiet about his recruitment, but we can speculate a little with this information. For instance, there had been some talk that Newman may visit Kansas and Kentucky for their Late Night in the Phog and Big Blue Madness activities. The date of his visit to A&M rules out a visit to Kansas for Late Night, and as it stands now Rivals.com would be surprised if he visited Kentucky for BBM. He will surely visit Kansas and Kentucky (and likely UConn and Mississippi State as well), but the latest talk behind the scenes is that Newman would prefer to visit schools on weekends where there aren't other prospects visiting so that he can dive deeper into each program and staff recruiting him.

Of course, when discussing Newman everybody wants to know about the possible package deal with big man Diamond Stone. Both Newman and Stone have acknowledged that they would like to play together if possible. However, the feel out there is that the package is not likely to happen, and if it did, UConn is the only place it could.

For now, it is still looking like Newman's recruitment will go into the spring. He appears to be in no rush to make a decision, and no leader has emerged either publicly or behind the scenes.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
Preferring to be the focus of a recruiting trip rather than watching the first night BS speaks volumes about this kid. I like our chances if we still have enough a schollies available next spring.

Reaction Score
Preferring to be the focus of a recruiting trip rather than watching the first night BS speaks volumes about this kid. I like our chances if we still have enough a schollies available next spring.

I have a feeling if Newman wants to play here, we'll make it work. Can't miss talent.

Reaction Score
Kanas could be our toughest comp. sounds like Malik is all business, which should indicate that the snake oil salesman will be cut shortly. Gotta love our chances with Ollie in the room. If I am Malik it comes down to uconn and Kansas.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Kanas could be our toughest comp. sounds like Malik is all business, which should indicate that the snake oil salesman will be cut shortly. Gotta love our chances with Ollie in the room. If I am Malik it comes down to uconn and Kansas.

Malik seems to like the spotlight and UK draws kids like that. It would be awesome to see him cut UK, but no reason for him to cut anyone anytime soon since he has narrowed down his list and will not commit until the spring. It's reassuring to know that with KO, he can stand out in all kinds of positive ways for top recruits.....just need one to get the ball rolling (Diamond, are you listening?).

Reaction Score
Malik seems to like the spotlight and UK draws kids like that. It would be awesome to see him cut UK, but no reason for him to cut anyone anytime soon since he has narrowed down his list and will not commit until the spring. It's reassuring to know that with KO, he can stand out in all kinds of positive ways for top recruits.....just need one to get the ball rolling (Diamond, are you listening?).

What gives you the idea that Newman loves the spotlight? Because I honestly get the complete opposite from him. He seems shy in interviews, avoids the media, is not boisterous or cocky; in fact seems very humble. Especially in the interviews that involve Stone, Stone seems to always take the spotlight with Newman standing to the side and slightly behind. Not to mention Newman has basically scoffed at most of the recruiting process, setting up visits he never goes on. I could be mistaken, but I believe his HS coach basically said that no one will get him anytime soon because he is too focused on winning in his senior season. To me Newman seems like a kid who is ridiculously athletic and talented and that's how he fits the "uk mold", but I think he just wants to ball and doesn't care who's watching.

But, if he wants to improve his game and do more than just play a full season of AAU ball before the league then he should strongly consider attending any program that is not kentucky.

Might I suggest UCONN.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What gives you the idea that Newman loves the spotlight? Because I honestly get the complete opposite from him. He seems shy in interviews, avoids the media, is not boisterous or cocky; in fact seems very humble. Especially in the interviews that involve Stone, Stone seems to always take the spotlight with Newman standing to the side and slightly behind. Not to mention Newman has basically scoffed at most of the recruiting process, setting up visits he never goes on. I could be mistaken, but I believe his HS coach basically said that no one will get him anytime soon because he is too focused on winning in his senior season. To me Newman seems like a kid who is ridiculously athletic and talented and that's how he fits the "uk mold", but I think he just wants to ball and doesn't care who's watching.

That's not exactly something to be impressed by, a kid big timing major college basketball programs. He does have his own personal branding website, which shows he's not averse to the spotlight. I do respect his dedication to craft though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom