Malik Newman (Committed to Mississippi State) | The Boneyard

Malik Newman (Committed to Mississippi State)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Is it really a long shot? Whose the favorite right now? Im guessing probably Kentucky...

Reaction Score
This kid is the best player in the class. I don't care what any of the rankings say. He's got a great handle, hops, a bounce in his step, and a perfect shooting stroke. I love me some Jalen Adams but I really want this kid. Put him in KO's system and watch out!

pj

Reaction Score
Looks great. But, if he's deciding in the spring, we won't have scholarships.

Reaction Score
Looks great. But, if he's deciding in the spring, we won't have scholarships.

We should have at least 1 and maybe 2. Let's say one for Enoch and one for Mr. Stone. Then we have 1 for the spring for Jones, Newman, etc.

And I think much like Stone, Newman's camp isn't giving many clues to his favorites/leans. I think its pretty up in the air right now but if I were to guess his Top 4 it would be UK, Kansas, UConn, and Mississippi St. (his dads alma mater and in-state school). That's some tough competition, but if Ollie can manage to reel in Stone I think our chances improve significantly. They still want to play together, its just a matter of matching up.

Reaction Score
http://www.kentucky.com/2014/08/27/3398584_next-cats-many-chapters-to-come.html?rh=1

The Callaway coach said there's no point in trying to read between the lines of this recruitment. Newman admittedly doesn't watch much college basketball, and that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

"All he does is work out," Sanders said. "He'll leave practice and go to the gym. He'll leave the gym and go work with his personal trainer. ... When he does watch it, it's probably going to be the Final Four or something like that."

He watched last season's Final Four and came away impressed with the guard play at UConn, a school that wasn't even seriously recruiting him before it won the national title.

Huskies Coach Kevin Ollie got wind that Newman liked his program and was quick to act. By the end of the month, Ollie had traveled to Jackson for an in-home visit and UConn was seen as a serious contender on Newman's list.

caw

Reaction Score
No mention of wanting to play with diamond stone.

JMO:

It's a Kentucky based paper/article
Stone isn't likely to go to UK
The coach didn't feel comfortable talking about it bc it's not something he discussed with Newman.

Reaction Score
This probably means absolutely nothing other that I'm crazy for even noticing but Malik stopped following Calipari on twitter a couple of weeks ago. Just something I found interesting.

I can't speak to your sanity but it is almost certainly irrelevant nuggets like this that can sustain this board for a week or more.

Reaction Score
I can't speak to your sanity but it is almost certainly irrelevant nuggets like this that can sustain this board for a week or more.

I'm good for at least 2 weeks.

Reaction Score
Haven't really seen a player like Newman before, maybe high character version of oj mayo. He's all about winning, having captures 2 straight fiba mvps ( en route to golds). Reading that article the tidbit of not paying attention to college basketball much is interesting, he's given great input on why he likes ollie and the system. But also for that reason i can see him committing to his pops alma mater Mississippi state. I would take him in a heartbeat and start him immediately with adams.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
How does the new scholarship to the walk-on work. Lenehan is a senior so his scholarship will be available. The other walk-on is a junior. Is it a one year offer only?

Reaction Score
How does the new scholarship to the walk-on work. Lenehan is a senior so his scholarship will be available. The other walk-on is a junior. Is it a one year offer only?

It is like a one year lease. Landlords does have to offer the lease next year

Reaction Score
top five going around is Mississippi State, UConn, Kansas, Kentucky and Texas A&M.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It is like a one year lease. Landlords does have to offer the lease next year
Thanks. I knew scholies technically went year by year, but I didn't know if we had a school tradition or policy

Reaction Score
Thanks. I knew scholies technically went year by year, but I didn't know if we had a school tradition or policy
The last walk-on to get a scholarship was Brendan Allen in 2012-2013 and it was only for one year. I think he left the team after that year, though.

Reaction Score
This probably means absolutely nothing other that I'm crazy for even noticing but Malik stopped following Calipari on twitter a couple of weeks ago. Just something I found interesting.
If Stone follows KO - then we have something. Of course, if he follows Calipari and not KO, well that's meaningless.

Reaction Score
Malik wrote a blog for USA Today. Some interesting tidbits at the end about what coaches are telling him.

"I had a coach that’s recruiting me tell me that they were gonna set the record for points per game as a team this year and their point guard was probably gonna lead them in scoring. That was interesting to me because he said if I came there I could do the same thing. I thought that was pretty cool.

I had another coach tell me that I could be one-and-done and probably average about 25 points a game; so they tell me a lot of different things. I just sit back and listen to everything."

http://usatodayhss.com/2014/09/02/malik-newman-talks-going-back-to-school-in-his-latest-blog/

Reaction Score
Malik wrote a blog for USA Today. Some interesting tidbits at the end about what coaches are telling him.

"I had a coach that’s recruiting me tell me that they were gonna set the record for points per game as a team this year and their point guard was probably gonna lead them in scoring. That was interesting to me because he said if I came there I could do the same thing. I thought that was pretty cool.

I had another coach tell me that I could be one-and-done and probably average about 25 points a game; so they tell me a lot of different things. I just sit back and listen to everything."

http://usatodayhss.com/2014/09/02/malik-newman-talks-going-back-to-school-in-his-latest-blog/

I assume the coach meant their school record. And that the coach isn't coaching at Loyola Marymount. Nobody's sniffing that record of 122 ppg from the Kimble/Gathers years.

pj

Reaction Score

It probably means Calipari was stalking him via DMs and he got tired of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom