Malik Beasley (Committed to Florida State) | The Boneyard

Malik Beasley (Committed to Florida State)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I looked him up is he a 2nd guard or a wing essentially for us? Would mean Jones or Clarke.

Never heard of him (only follow UConn anymore) but obviously highly regarded.

caw

Reaction Score
I looked him up is he a 2nd guard or a wing essentially for us? Would mean Jones or Clarke.

Never heard of him (only follow UConn anymore) but obviously highly regarded.

Played AAU with Turtle Jackson and blew up, was the featured and best player on the team. Is a 2G but probably could play the 3 in UConns system ala Ray Allen/Rip Hamilton/Dyson. He's a pretty good shooter, decent athlete needs to work on his handle a bit. Looks a legit 6-4. Probably wouldn't negate recruitment of Jones or Clark, as both are threes, it could however limit scholarships for bigs. Kind of surprised GT got cut from the list.

Reaction Score
Played AAU with Turtle Jackson and blew up, was the featured and best player on the team. Is a 2G but probably could play the 3 in UConns system ala Ray Allen/Rip Hamilton/Dyson. He's a pretty good shooter, decent athlete needs to work on his handle a bit. Looks a legit 6-4. Probably wouldn't negate recruitment of Jones or Clark, as both are threes, it could however limit scholarships for bigs. Kind of surprised GT got cut from the list.

Its funny because I was following the stats for the Georgia Stars hoping Turtle would show out and kept getting pissed that this Beasley kid was jacking up all the shots for their team. He led his HS team to the state championship in Georgia I believe and was the 5th leading scorer this summer in the EYBL.

Reaction Score
Malik BeasleySG, 6-4, 185, 2015
St. Francis School (GA)

This was my first time seeing Beasley, and I left very impressed. The 6-4 shooting guard is a terrific athlete who can fly in the open floor, as well as knock down shots off the dribble. He has a smooth three-point jumper, and can also attack off the dribble, finishing head-level with the rim. He also competes like a dog, hounding opposing players defensively and always in attack mode offensively. Beasley must continue to flash a consistent jump shot and polish his handle, to find a consistent offensive rhythm. If he does, he will make significant impact on the college level due to his explosiveness and competitiveness, with a chance at the pros.

http://www.slamonline.com/college-hs/high-school/big-strick-classic-recap-3/

Reaction Score
I have heard good stuff about his game. I think a new list of schools could offer at the end of the summer

Reaction Score
I was hoping to see him at the Peach Jam but when his team failed to qualify it didn't happen. Finally got to see him live of the first time Saturday and if that day was any indication I'd be thrilled to see him commit right now.

In the dunk contest and the game Beasley was impressive; he looked athletic amongst a group of elite athletes. He makes it look easy too, his movement is fluid, he is a natural athlete. Offensively he seems as if he has the ability to score on all 3 levels. His jumper may need work but he definitely doesn't need to be taught how to finish at the rim. The few times he actually tried to play defense (it was a charity all-star game after all) he looked very good, especially on the ball.

***2016 recruit Kobi Simmons and 2017s Tremont Waters each threw Beasley and ally-oop in the dunk contest. Meaningless, but interesting enough to mention***

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
Definitely an odd list and we stick out as the best program, but as we know that doesn't always guarantee a commitment. I think we need to add an SG along with a Wing and Big to round out next year's class. He just took an official to St. Johns and they have been on him awhile now, let's see if we can get him in for a visit - he's definitely trending up right now

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This was my first time seeing Beasley, and I left very impressed. The 6-4 shooting guard is a terrific athlete who can fly in the open floor, as well as knock down shots off the dribble. He has a smooth three-point jumper, and can also attack off the dribble, finishing head-level with the rim. He also competes like a dog, hounding opposing players defensively and always in attack mode offensively. Beasley must continue to flash a consistent jump shot and polish his handle, to find a consistent offensive rhythm. If he does, he will make significant impact on the college level due to his explosiveness and competitiveness, with a chance at the pros.

Yes Please.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
Florida State, Georgia, Oregon, St. Johns, UCLA, UConn, VCU, and Wake Forest made the cut

The 247 crystal ball picks are Georgia, Cincinnati, VCU, UCLA. Cincinnati had 100% of the votes until June.

Reaction Score
The 247 crystal ball picks are Georgia, Cincinnati, VCU, UCLA. Cincinnati had 100% of the votes until June.

We are late to the game. But heard we are making a push

Reaction Score
I think that Beasley is being viewed more as a 3 than a 2 by our staff, if I had to guess. Just what little I've seen of him, and what I've read about his size/strength/athleticism, I think he'll be another "shooting guard" who would be brought in to play a wing forward spot, and that he'll be listed at 6'5, 195 or bigger by the time he steps on campus. Calhoun was a guard listed at 6'3 and from 170-185 by all of the recruiting sites, and was a 6-5, 192 lb forward as a freshman (now apparently 6-6, 200).

I suspect that, whichever of Beasley/Clarke/Jones/Ingram commits first (if any do) is in, and the rest are out.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
I think that Beasley is being viewed more as a 3 than a 2 by our staff, if I had to guess. Just what little I've seen of him, and what I've read about his size/strength/athleticism, I think he'll be another "shooting guard" who would be brought in to play a wing forward spot, and that he'll be listed at 6'5, 195 or bigger by the time he steps on campus. Calhoun was a guard listed at 6'3 and from 170-185 by all of the recruiting sites, and was a 6-5, 192 lb forward as a freshman (now apparently 6-6, 200).

I suspect that, whichever of Beasley/Clarke/Jones/Ingram commits first (if any do) is in, and the rest are out.
Exactly!...Beasley can be that SG/SF position for us, not exclusively considered a 2 guard by our staff.

Reaction Score
2 or 3 doesn't matter. I think we all get caught up positions far too much. A similar, though much more heated, debate occurred over whether JA was a 1 or 2. They are basketball players, as long as you are confident the team can defend a coach can make a rotation work.

Reaction Score
2 or 3 doesn't matter. I think we all get caught up positions far too much. A similar, though much more heated, debate occurred over whether JA was a 1 or 2. They are basketball players, as long as you are confident the team can defend a coach can make a rotation work.

Agreed. I like Jalen Rose's take.. positions are only there to help a novice follow the game.. it's all about your skillset.. you can have Westbrook/Rondo/CP.. all are PGs.. Westbrook is a 25/5 guy.. Rondo is a 14/10 guy.. CP is a 20/10 guy

Reaction Score
Agreed. I like Jalen Rose's take.. positions are only there to help a novice follow the game.. it's all about your skillset.. you can have Westbrook/Rondo/CP.. all are PGs.. Westbrook is a 25/5 guy.. Rondo is a 14/10 guy.. CP is a 20/10 guy

Exactly, there are multiple types of PGs alone. One thing that has helped me think about it in a different way has been my interest in soccer for the past 5 or 6 years. If you aren't familiar with it at all in soccer you have 11 players total on the field, but their are about 20 different position classifications. I think you can look at basketball in a similar manner; there are way more position types.

It's not about the positions, just putting the right mixture of talent on the court.

Reaction Score
@PaulBiancardi: Espn 100 Malik Beasley's official visit schedule: FSU Sept 5-7, VCU 12-14, WF 19-20 .Still setting up dates with Saint John's and Oregon.

caw

Reaction Score
@PaulBiancardi: Espn 100 Malik Beasley's official visit schedule: FSU Sept 5-7, VCU 12-14, WF 19-20 .Still setting up dates with Saint John's and Oregon.

Interesting he would set up a visit to VCU considering they just picked up a SG. No OV for UConn or UCLA then. I guess UG doesn't need one, considering proximity. Any word on if he does an UV up here?

Reaction Score
He seems like a player that would fit at VCU. He is very good on the ball defensively, even better off it, maybe the best in the class at getting his hands into lanes to create breaks. And he excels on the break, especially if you allow him to attack the rim.

Reaction Score
So in the past week VCU, UCLA, and now FSU have all picked up SG's. Terance Mann just committed to FSU. Will be interesting to see if he still visits there.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
So in the past week VCU, UCLA, and now FSU have all picked up SG's. Terance Mann just committed to FSU. Will be interesting to see if he still visits there.
Not like we don't have a plethora of guards on our roster for 2015 either....but yes SG commits to the competition in the same class as Beasley certainly can't hurt our chances

Reaction Score
“@jeffborzello: Four-star guard Malik Beasley announces he has committed to Florida State while on his visit. (@MaLiKK_5)”

caw

Reaction Score
Good for him, and them. Better shot at a spring commit at that position though. I like Beasleys game. Speaking of FSU, what happened to that Canadian SG they signed who was ineligible, he playing this coming year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom