Makes sense for the Big 12 to get back to 12 teams | The Boneyard

Makes sense for the Big 12 to get back to 12 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I will laugh and cry if Memphis gets a P5 invite ahead of us. If that happens, I might just give up watching college sports altogether.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I will laugh and cry if Memphis gets a P5 invite ahead of us. If that happens, I might just give up watching college sports altogether.
Yeah, I suspect my reaction will be a bit different:

heart2battack.jpg

Reaction Score
This is probably the rose colored view but I would expect Texas to want us more than any of the other options because we are more of a peer to Texas than any of the other schools mentioned. In other words, hopefully Texas looks at this as a total school vs. football only evaluation. If that is the case, maybe we have a chance if Texas caves on expansion but is still the primary decision maker on which schools get invited.

Reaction Score
This is probably the rose colored view but I would expect Texas to want us more than any of the other options because we are more of a peer to Texas than any of the other schools mentioned. In other words, hopefully Texas looks at this as a total school vs. football only evaluation. If that is the case, maybe we have a chance if Texas caves on expansion but is still the primary decision maker on which schools get invited.

The Big XII added Morgantown Community College last time! :eek:

Reaction Score
Memphis has a sugar daddy and Money talks.
After one winning season they suspiciously became media darlings
And moved to the head of the CR class from obscurity.
If UConn got off to the same start as Memphis did last year. I don't suspect we would have been adopted so readily. Even with a much better overall resume. Money in the right places our just good PR?
That doesn't mean they will get picked but it certainly doesn't hurt.
Diaco has succeeded and taking a bad situation and making it worse.
Our only mention in the article is one of ridicule.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'd be fine with Memphis getting a B12 spot if it means Cincy or UCF stays in the AAC. Well, I wouldn't be fine with it but that's how I'd rationalize it.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I don't have any misconceived notions that UConn is a good fit for the B12. Northeast + Bible Belt Midwest just seem like a hot mess of oil and water to me. I see UConn as a better fit for the B1G or ACC. It's just the matter of principle at play here. A whole slew of peer schools with inferior athletic departments have found their way into a P5 conference ahead of us and a Memphis invite would just be the final sack kick that I could (or would be willing to) take. Memphis and UConn football history is very similar in its mediocrity, our hoops programs exceed in every measurable metric, our DMA trumps Memphis, TN, Memphis' academic profile makes the LCC look like Harvard, and if the B12 thinks adding Memphis adds a recruiting territory, they would be just as easily served adding MTSU to compete against behemoth Tennessee and other SEC schools.

In fact, if Memphis got its P5 ticket ahead of us, I would kindly ask our Mods to take down the entire CR discussion board and add auto-filters to delete any post that contains anything CR related. I would be done.

Reaction Score
Realignment got all screwed up. The Big12 should have taken Louisville and Cincinatti. Then the ACC could have taken UConn. Now we are stuck in the G5 and the Big12 has no good options. I question if the Big12 will expand because it's obvious that they don't like any of their options. If Cincinatti were that close to being added, I don't think that Tuberville would have said anything. Same thing with O'Leary and UCF.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 selects Memphis, they are essentially putting a nail in their coffin. This is simply noise.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Realignment got all screwed up. The Big12 should have taken Louisville and Cincinatti. Then the ACC could have taken UConn. Now we are stuck in the G5 and the Big12 has no good options. I question if the Big12 will expand because it's obvious that they don't like any of their options. If Cincinatti were that close to being added, I don't think that Tuberville would have said anything. Same thing with O'Leary and UCF.

Agree. If the B12 would have added UL and Cincinnati with WVU, then we would have surely gone to the ACC by now. Unless of course our friends to the north of us could have successfully lobbied to invite Memphis and UMass over us. You know, because everyone in MA is only interested in BC vs UMass.

Reaction Score
There are lots of reasons Memphis is mentioned. Just a few IMO >

Shelby County / Memphis produces more SEC players than any other county in the country.

Memphis is also best located, amon the candidates, when WV and the other BXII schools are considered.

Memphis has historically good basketball.

Football on the rise. Football ranked in the top 25 last season.

Memphis just announced 40 million in upgrades and new facilities for basketball and football.

Memphis, the city, just proposed a taxing zone to fund new sports facilities around the Liberty Bowl and an increase in Tiger Lane (our tailgating area.)

Memphis is in ESPN's top 10 or 15 college markets every year.

Reaction Score
There are lots of reasons Memphis is mentioned. Just a few IMO >

Shelby County / Memphis produces more SEC players than any other county in the country.

Memphis is also best located, amon the candidates, when WV and the other BXII schools are considered.

Memphis has historically good basketball.

Football on the rise. Football ranked in the top 25 last season.

Memphis just announced 40 million in upgrades and new facilities for basketball and football.

Memphis, the city, just proposed a taxing zone to fund new sports facilities around the Liberty Bowl and an increase in Tiger Lane (our tailgating area.)

Memphis is in ESPN's top 10 or 15 college markets every year.
UT wouldn't hook up with Memphis after having 30 beers.

Reaction Score
Damn! We may have to say goodbye to the huge Civil Conflict Rivalry.

The Feinbaum radio program did a segment on the Big12 this afternoon. Did not hear the whole thing but from what I heard the three participants (invited guests not his normal wacko callers) were betting on Cinci & UCF to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
I agree...these things have a way of coming out of the blue. If Tubs and O'Leary were sure or confident opening their mouths wouldnt be necessary...quiet confidence would suffice. I remember thinking RU must have something going on when Jurich said L'ville deserves an P5 over RU before anyone knew anything but rumors. What AD would knock another peer unless jealous?

Reaction Score
I'm feeling alone, but there is no way Boren went public with OU's unhappiness in the hopes he might be partnered with BYU, Memphis, Cincy, or UCF. He can pick up and move to the Pac12 or the SEC in a heartbeat. You think he prefers partners like USC/UCLA, Oregon?Wash, the Zonas or maybe Bama, Auburn, Jaw-ja, Florida, et. al., or do you think he went out this way in hopes of finding a commuter campus?

This was the beauty of Sofford taking the Ville - it left the B12 on an island.

OU has started making noises not to add a commuter or juco equivalent or mormon school to the mix ...

Reaction Score
UT wouldn't hook up with Memphis after having 30 beers.

I have always wondered how many cases of good old Kentucky Bourbon was left behind in Greensboro (Tallahassee, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Chestnut Hill, too) by Jurich after the ACC swallowed Louisville...

Reaction Score
I have always wondered how many cases of good old Kentucky Bourbon was left behind in Greensboro (Tallahassee, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Chestnut Hill, too) by Jurich after the ACC swallowed Louisville...

If the ACC really wanted to deal the knockout shot to the Big XII, they should extend invitations to UConn and Cincinnati. Geographically it makes sense at it adds the missing pieces between Kentucky-Indiana and New York-Mass. Cincinnati and UConn represent the two most valuable brands on the East Coast not currently in another P5 conference and could add value immediately to the ACC Network. With Cincy and UConn off of the market, the Big XII could have it's hand forced to take less desirable members, which could drive Texas and Oklahoma to greener pastures (SEC or PAC12). Obviously this scenario is all based on assumptions, but it wouldn't be the craziest thing to happen in CR.

Reaction Score
If the ACC really wanted to deal the knockout shot to the Big XII, they should extend invitations to UConn and Cincinnati. Geographically it makes sense at it adds the missing pieces between Kentucky-Indiana and New York-Mass. Cincinnati and UConn represent the two most valuable brands on the East Coast not currently in another P5 conference and could add value immediately to the ACC Network. With Cincy and UConn off of the market, the Big XII could have it's hand forced to take less desirable members, which could drive Texas and Oklahoma to greener pastures (SEC or PAC12). Obviously this scenario is all based on assumptions, but it wouldn't be the craziest thing to happen in CR.
The ACC wants Texas. At this point, they are more than willing to sit back and allow the Big 12 to self-destruct. The ACC should focus on the battle it has with the B1g to secure New York and DC.

pj

Reaction Score
This was the beauty of Swofford taking the Ville - it left the B12 on an island.

OU has started making noises not to add a commuter or juco equivalent or mormon school to the mix ...

The natural riposte for the B12 would be to add UConn -- then they've penetrated into ACC territory with a more valuable school than Louisville, while the ACC has penetrated western Kentucky, not really territory the B12 should covet.

So if Louisville to the ACC was damaging to the B12, it's only because UConn is unavailable -- ticketed for the B1G.

If the B12 were serious about maintaining their conference, they wouldn't have been hurt by the Louisville selection. Even if UConn is off the table, Cincy is as good an add as L'ville. But the B12 is not serious, and haven't been for a long time. That's why so many have left (Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, A&M) and more will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom