Major congrats to Britney & Glory Johnson (and a bit of surprise) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Major congrats to Britney & Glory Johnson (and a bit of surprise)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's a shame that someone is only considered a basketball player without any acknowledgement of who they are as a person.
I was personally offended by this post. It suggests that Geno has no feelings towards his basketball players as anything but a tool or utensil to be used for the completion of a job. The original statement suggested to me that he doesn't or wouldn't politicize his players or try and interpret them as human beings. That he accepts them for who they are, totally unique student athletes. Your statement comes across as totally demeaning him and suggests he is just a USER. That may not be what you meant but that's surely how I and others would read it.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I was personally offended by this post. It suggests that Geno has no feelings towards his basketball players as anything but a tool or utensil to be used for the completion of a job. The original statement suggested to me that he doesn't or wouldn't politicize his players or try and interpret them as human beings. That he accepts them for who they are, totally unique student athletes. Your statement comes across as totally demeaning him and suggests he is just a USER. That may not be what you meant but that's surely how I and others would read it.
I'm sorry, but I thought the original post you are referring to was a little too short and open to interpretation, and ETT often puts a worst interpretation on things.

I do think Geno is very aware of his players as people (which doesn't mean he knows, or wants to know, all the facts about them). In one sentence you said he wouldn't politicize his players (probably true) or try and interpret them as human beings (almost certainly inherently false, everyone does it all the time and especially in a coaching role).

I don't think ETT was claiming the statement you objected to as being true about Geno, only that was his interpretation of what the poster said about Geno.

Reaction Score
I asked my gay friends on Facebook if they find the word "queer" offensive. At this point everyone has said that it is offensive and one person said "I think it is an awful word."

Maybe we are just not smart enough to know that it shouldn't offend us. Those in "academia" must know a lot more that we do. I guess if we were more educated we would be more inclined to "reclaim" the word.

You have some nerve putting a negative spin on what I wrote. There are contexts where 'queer' is understood to be a reclamatory and inclusive term and used in a positive way. There are LGBTQ organizations and activists and events devoted to social justice and that use the term. But I guess your poll of your gay Facebook friends proves they're bad people.

I never said "only dumb uneducated people get offended by the term 'queer' these days", and frankly you have issues for interpreting it that way and really how dare you twist my words into something they're not. Obviously, words have different meanings and connotations in different contexts, regions, circles, etc. and I pointed out one such domain where 'queer' is the preferred term and not meant or construed as offensive. Only a coward would take my comment and twist it into a narrative of elitism. Your problem is that you lack imagination and universalize the experiences of you and your poll of Facebook friends. Trust me, I would not scoff at you and deem you "uneducated" for misinterpreting my comment. I don't think ANY amount of education could fix your problem.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The people in this thread have impressed me with their ability to discuss a wide range of topics that some might deem controversial (marriage to a Lady Vol!) with intelligence and civility. Let's not jump the tracks here.

Reaction Score
You have some nerve putting a negative spin on what I wrote. There are contexts where 'queer' is understood to be a reclamatory and inclusive term and used in a positive way. There are LGBTQ organizations and activists and events devoted to social justice and that use the term. But I guess your poll of your gay Facebook friends proves they're bad people.

I never said "only dumb uneducated people get offended by the term 'queer' these days", and frankly you have issues for interpreting it that way and really how dare you twist my words into something they're not. Obviously, words have different meanings and connotations in different contexts, regions, circles, etc. and I pointed out one such domain where 'queer' is the preferred term and not meant or construed as offensive. Only a coward would take my comment and twist it into a narrative of elitism. Your problem is that you lack imagination and universalize the experiences of you and your poll of Facebook friends. Trust me, I would not scoff at you and deem you "uneducated" for misinterpreting my comment. I don't think ANY amount of education could fix your problem.
Kat,
I have to agree with you. It is LGBTQ. There are people now who associate themselves as queer. In fact at DePaul, there is a Queer studies minor. I am a gay man and am not offended by the word. The only time I get offended is how people use words.

Reaction Score
To go back on a tangent, what I find interesting about the marriage is that as far as I know it will be the first time a married couple competes against one another in a professional team sport.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
To go back on a tangent, what I find interesting about the marriage is that as far as I know it will be the first time a married couple competes against one another in a professional team sport.

And that will be very interesting. It will be interesting to see if it impacts how they play against each other. If Glory were to going in for a layup would BG not give her a hard foul due to their connection? It could definitely change the dynamics of their competitive nature.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
ETT, the very act of taboo'ing a word, further saturates that word with venom. It becomes even more toxic and weaponized. It seems to me that we already have far too many weapons as it is. Disarming them seems a better path to take. -OR- we could continue on with handing the fools and hateful the tools to hurt.

Boo

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

LOL. Well, that was fun. It is nice to know that you would never intentionally offend anyone. ;)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ETT, the very act of taboo'ing a word, further saturates that word with venom. It becomes even more toxic and weaponized. It seems to me that we already have far too many weapons as it is. Disarming them seems a better path to take. -OR- we could continue on with handing the fools and hateful the tools to hurt.

Boo

Look...where and when I grew up, the word queer was used in a HIGHLY offensive way, and was usually prefaced by the word "," as in " queer." So to me, that word will NEVER be acceptable...NEVER. I appreciate that people want to "reclaim" the word, but I am not one of them and I say shame on the people within the gay community who insist on using the word that they know has been so hurtful to so many for so many years. You don't suddenly accept a word that was used in such a hateful and hurtful way for so many years.

Reaction Score
Look...where and when I grew up, the word queer was used in a HIGHLY offensive way, and was usually prefaced by the word "," as in " queer." So to me, that word will NEVER be acceptable...NEVER. I appreciate that people want to "reclaim" the word, but I am not one of them and I say shame on the people within the gay community who insist on using the word that they know has been so hurtful to so many for so many years. You don't suddenly accept a word that was used in such a hateful and hurtful way for so many years.
I thought in Texas it was usually prefaced with "Yankee"...;)

It's clear to me that it still cannot be used without the risk of offence...

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I submit that we chalk up the usage of the word "queer" in reference to a member of the gay community to personal choice, and take into consideration the audience when we choose to use the word if we so choose to do...

and leave it at that for clearly minds are not going to be changed, and the best solution appears to be agree to disagree

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I submit that we chalk up the usage of the word "queer" in reference to a member of the gay community to personal choice, and take into consideration the audience when we choose to use the word if we so choose to do...

and leave it at that for clearly minds are not going to be changed, and the best solution appears to be agree to disagree

I agree. Just because organizations and radio and TV shows use the word, it is still offensive to many. There are clothes that are great for the runway of a fashion show, but you wouldn't want to wear them in every day life. That is how I feel about the word "queer."

The NAACP still includes the "C" but I can tell you that many people would be offended by the word "colored."

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
If you belief that it is better for that word to retain it's venom, then that's your choice. My belief is that it's already done far too much damage, so I'd prefer that we detoxify it.

Boo

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If you belief that it is better for that word to retain it's venom, then that's your choice. My belief is that it's already done far too much damage, so I'd prefer that we detoxify it.

Boo

In that case, why don't we use all words that have contained venom whenever we want. You don't just decide to accept a word that has been used in a derogitary way for so many years.

Maybe you can give me other examples of words that have been "detoxified" so that I have a better reference.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Boo

Would you like to be called a "?" Have you detoxified that word?

Reaction Score
I don't think it's appropriate to tell people shame on them when you have no idea what queer studies is and what queer even stands for now a days. Branch off from your past a little bit and educate yourself. Your entitled to your feelings, but so is everybody else. No one here or in the lgbtQ community is using the word offensively.

Reaction Score
And that will be very interesting. It will be interesting to see if it impacts how they play against each other. If Glory were to going in for a layup would BG not give her a hard foul due to their connection? It could definitely change the dynamics of their competitive nature.

They have been playing against each other for the last couple of years. Why would anything change now? and I am sure they have been seeing each other for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom