Madison Square Gordon | The Boneyard

Madison Square Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My favorite Husky team and my favorite Husky pre-Kemba!!!

Still have the NY Post that I think said same headline!

Wish I had his lift on my jump shot!

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
He has exactly the skills that next years' team needs & he does have one year of eligibility left (if you forget that silly amateurism clause, which they ignore for other schools anyway), right?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He would be the perfect fit for next years team. Exactly what we need.
He has exactly the skills that next years' team needs & he does have one year of eligibility left (if you forget that silly amateurism clause, which they ignore for other schools anyway), right?
yeah, we know, every single player past and future is exactly what this team needs.... just enjoy the video

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Highlights from Ben Gordon's takeover during the 2004 Big East Tournament

any possibility of putting his with kembas together? or caron, him, and kemba?

Reaction Score
The way BG played in the Big East Tournament and the NCAA Tournament was huge. He played the best basketball of his career in March 2004 and the team needed it. I remember there was some uncertainty going into the BET because Okafor was sitting out because of his back injury. Ben put the team on his back and I dont think we win either championship that year without the way he played. Ben Gordon is an all time great and he deserves to be in the Huskies of Honor.

Reaction Score
The way BG played in the Big East Tournament and the NCAA Tournament was huge. He played the best basketball of his career in March 2004 and the team needed it. I remember there was some uncertainty going into the BET because Okafor was sitting out because of his back injury. Ben put the team on his back and I dont think we win either championship that year without the way he played. Ben Gordon is an all time great and he deserves to be in the Huskies of Honor.

The way JB and CV stepped up in EO's absence with RA's big threes supplemented BG's superstar performance. Without all of that, we don't win the Big East or the NCAA championships. Amazing team.

Reaction Score
The way JB and CV stepped up in EO's absence with RA's big threes supplemented BG's superstar performance. Without all of that, we don't win the Big East or the NCAA championships. Amazing team.
Yes. Great point. It really was a true team effort and we were just clicking on all cylinders. Once we got to the NCAA tournament, every game was pretty much a blowout outside of the Duke game.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
ESPN2 graphics tech spelled his name "Ben Gordan", which is likely the very last time anybody spelled his name wrong on a graphic.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite games (outside of all the typical popular choices) was the '04 Elite 8 game against Bama. He had 36 and Rashad had 28 in an absolute dismantling of the Tide. I remember there were enough talking heads picking an upset there, that year there was a good chunk of the media that was never going to believe in our team or thought w'd cut down the nets. The Elite 8 game was just like the G-Tech game in the Finals, if we kept our foot on the pedal the whole game we would have won by 40.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite games (outside of all the typical popular choices) was the '04 Elite 8 game against Bama. He had 36 and Rashad had 28 in an absolute dismantling of the Tide. I remember there were enough talking heads picking an upset there, that year there was a good chunk of the media that was never going to believe in our team or thought w'd cut down the nets. The Elite 8 game was just like the G-Tech game in the Finals, if we kept our foot on the pedal the whole game we would have won by 40.

I don't remember this media perception at all. In fact, I seem to remember that we were both the preseason #1, and the favorite to win the title at the start of the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
I don't remember this media perception at all. In fact, I seem to remember that we were both the preseason #1, and the favorite to win the title at the start of the NCAA tournament.

We weren't even a 1-seed, we were a #2 seed and Okafor's back issues were a big question mark. That whole season was up and down from Villanueva's eligibility issues to Gordon's broken nose to Okafor's back problems. We had plenty of doubters.

Reaction Score
We weren't even a 1-seed, we were a #2 seed and Okafor's back issues were a big question mark. That whole season was up and down from Villanueva's eligibility issues to Gordon's broken nose to Okafor's back problems. We had plenty of doubters.

We were a 2-seed because we'd lost 6 regular season games. They were widely considered the most talented team in the field that year. You're off on this one. That team did exactly what most media members thought it was going to do; win a championship.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We were a 2-seed because we'd lost 6 regular season games. They were widely considered the most talented team in the field that year. You're off on this one. That team did exactly what most media members thought it was going to do; win a championship.
Remember Okafor and Taurasi on the Cover of SI before the season started. Both men and women were picked to win the NC.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, this is a great opportunity to break down what differentiated Ben from the ordinary player.
1) He was a student of the game and often watch video learning from some of the great ones. Learning not only technique but how to capitalize on the big moment.
2) Ben took weight lifting seriously - he wanted to beat guys through strength, quickness or skill. That made him a tough match-up. He sized up his opponent and then capitalized on his biggest advantage. He was stronger than our Bigs this year and could take punishment and still finish - and he had the skill to make that foul shot.
3) He strongly believed in shooting practice late at night - he loved shooting and perfecting it - those hours of solitude or with one other - built his confidence in big games - it translated - repetition built a quiet confidence.

I hope this may help some of the younger guys who wonder how do I become a great player.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, this is a great opportunity to break down what differentiated Ben from the ordinary player.
1) He was a student of the game and often watch video learning from some of the great ones. Learning not only technique but how to capitalize on the big moment.
2) Ben took weight lifting seriously - he wanted to beat guys through strength, quickness or skill. That made him a tough match-up. He sized up his opponent and then capitalized on his biggest advantage. He was stronger than our Bigs this year and could take punishment and still finish - and he had the skill to make that foul shot.
3) He strongly believed in shooting practice late at night - he loved shooting and perfecting it - those hours of solitude or with one other - built his confidence in big games - it translated - repetition built a quiet confidence.

I hope this may help some of the younger guys who wonder how do I become a great player.

It's a crime that you don't have an avatar.

C

Chief00

Thanks - I recognize many of you are sincere fans but possess little understanding of the game, maybe because you never played it other than on some video game on someone's phone. But UConn still needs fans like you regardless.
I will continue to breakdown aspects of the game or players so you can start somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom