Lynx - Mercury | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lynx - Mercury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't like BG because she threw Kim Mulkey and Baylor under a bus immediately after being named the top overall draft pick. I am not a Baylor fan, but it was classless. If she didn't like the culture at Baylor she could have transferred to another school.
You're right, why should she expect her coach to stand up for her. Mulkey's simple request to stay in the closet was completely reasonable. If she doesn't like it she should just uproot her life and leave.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I don't like BG because she threw Kim Mulkey and Baylor under a bus immediately after being named the top overall draft pick. I am not a Baylor fan, but it was classless. If she didn't like the culture at Baylor she could have transferred to another school.
I like her BECAUSE she did that. :0) One of Baylor's core values is an embarrassment to the heart of what America claims it is....

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Minnesota seemed too preoccupied with balance. Balance worked three years ago, balance worked last year, but what got Minnesota here this year is the Maya locomotive and the Maya caboose. Forget about balance, climb aboard the Maya train, and ride it to another championship.

Somebody forgot to tell Whalen that they needed balance.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

She didn't throw Baylor under the bus. She spoke her truth and shared her experience. Baylor threw itself under the bus...the church bus.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I started a separate game thread for the sole purpose of being able to provide information about the game to people who couldn't see the game including me because unfortunately I couldn't watch the whole game due to a prior commitment. my game thread gets combined with the previous lynx mercury thread and the end result is that there was no additional game stats or scores just the same old same ol of the original thread with some commentary about BG and Baylor tm thrown in. no stats, no scores.

thank you whoever merged the thread. One final question are we going to put all 3 games if there is a third game under this one header?

Reaction Score
You're right, why should she expect her coach to stand up for her. Mulkey's simple request to stay in the closet was completely reasonable. If she doesn't like it she should just uproot her life and leave.
BG knew Baylor's culture and ideologies before she committed. She had her pick of every school with a Women's BB program, a luxury that only an elite few have. In particular it was the timing of her revelations that I found disturbing, and frankly, cowardly.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
BG knew Baylor's culture and ideologies before she committed. She had her pick of every school with a Women's BB program, a luxury that only an elite few have. In particular it was the timing of her revelations that I found disturbing, and frankly, cowardly.

She should have done it while she was still at Baylor and blown WCBB wide open. She revealed to Mulkey that she was a lesbian during the recruiting process and Mulkey said it would not be a "problem." Mulkey should have added "as long as you don't discuss being a lesbian." Don't say one thing to a recruit to get them to come to your program and then not support them when they get there.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Griner committed when she was 15. She was a kid. She couldn't possibly have known the extent to which those policies would affect her life. Cut her some slack. She's pretty much the opposite of cowardly, IMO.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Griner committed when she was 15. She was a kid. She couldn't possibly have known the extent to which those policies would affect her life. Cut her some slack. She's pretty much the opposite of cowardly, IMO.

She could have done the cowardly thing by leaving, maybe in the middle of the night, but she accepted her situation and fulfilled her commitment.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Why not just watch the stats in ESPN.com?
umm...Previous commitment means that I am in a situation where use of a computer or cell phone to watch stats is not allowed/acceptable/desired.

thought that would be fairly obvious.

We have game threads all the time. This is not new. The games are being broadcast on channels or through pay sites that folks don't have/cannot afford. That's why we have game threads.

The older Lynx Mercury thread clearly had little to do with the actual game.

I hoped that someone could post about the game. I was wrong.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This is the type of ignorant commentary that unfortunately still exists in our country. Put the blame on a 15 or 16 year old kid who is growing like a weed and dealing with her s e xuality in a state that still discriminates against lesbians and gays. It's sad that there are still so many people in this country who are either ignorant of what youngsters in the LGBT community go through, or simply prejudiced and bigoted. As Sarals said, she's the opposite of cowardly.

To quote Mark Twain, "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Reaction Score
It wasn't intentional???? http://twitpic.com/eazc3o
Haha. Think Whalen was just defending herself from being the meat in a Taurasi-Dupree sandwich. DT beat the crap out of her all night. "Proactive self defense"? In any case, it was fun to watch, but Lindsay's gonna be pretty sore this morning.

Reaction Score
BTW thanks so much to JRRRJ for hooking us up with tix to last night's game. Great seats, great game, great company! Here is the t-shirt every fan got for the Mercury "white-out"

upload_2014-8-30_9-18-48.png

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
umm...Previous commitment means that I am in a situation where use of a computer or cell phone to watch stats is not allowed/acceptable/desired.

thought that would be fairly obvious.

We have game threads all the time. This is not new. The games are being broadcast on channels or through pay sites that folks don't have/cannot afford. That's why we have game threads.

The older Lynx Mercury thread clearly had little to do with the actual game.

I hoped that someone could post about the game. I was wrong.

I would have gladly kept the thread updated with game flow, score, BG's great play, etc, had I know you needed it. I'm a giver that way.

Reaction Score
did Griner come up with that title :oops:
I don't have that inside scoop - make of it what you will. Here is the other shirt I caught when Mercury team members threw them up into the audience right after the game was over. (Perhaps it was from earlier in the season...?)

upload_2014-8-30_12-27-8.png

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
This is the type of ignorant commentary that unfortunately still exists in our country. Put the blame on a 15 or 16 year old kid who is growing like a weed and dealing with her s e xuality in a state that still discriminates against lesbians and gays. It's sad that there are still so many people in this country who are either ignorant of what youngsters in the LGBT community go through, or simply prejudiced and bigoted. As Sarals said, she's the opposite of cowardly.

To quote Mark Twain, "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

If BG, growing up in Texas, did not know what the culture(?) of Baylor and of Waco was, she was one of very few Texans who didn't. Kim may have soft-soaped her into thinking that "it just won't be that bad", but she would have had to be very naive to believe it. Texas is reactionary, but Baylor and Waco are super-reactionary, and that is no secret.

Reaction Score
If BG, growing up in Texas, did not know what the culture(?) of Baylor and of Waco was, she was one of very few Texans who didn't. Kim may have soft-soaped her into thinking that "it just won't be that bad", but she would have had to be very naive to believe it. Texas is reactionary, but Baylor and Waco are super-reactionary, and that is no secret.
After reading her book and listening to her talk about her early life, she was not very worldly or aware of the cultural differences of the "outside world" (even Waco vs. Austin, which is night & day). Not saying she shouldn't have been more aware and sophisticated, just that she wasn't.

Reaction Score
Placing the blame for what happened on Baylor or Brittany isn't fair in my view. Both are what they are, and Brittany only gave voice to her feelings...somewhat pent up because of the situation she was in. I don't blame her or Kim. If Brittany thinks Kim could've changed the Baylor culture for her, then she's still not very worldly...my guess is that will change rapidly, and for the better...and when it does, her feelings may change as well...

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
We are in total agreement, J66. Maybe she WAS one of the few Texans who did not realize what a [self deleted] Waco and Baylor are. Maybe as a result of her book some other kid or kids will be dissuaded from immersing themselves in that [self-deleted] atmosphere of ignorance, hate and intolerance. Here's hoping that is the case and that the kids so dissuaded won't end up at Notre Dame.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Maybe there is no blame to be cast, but if there is it has to be on Kim, who knew both what Britney's orientation was and what Baylor's/Waco's was (and is). That is to say, she knew what she was getting the kid into and did it anyway. To be fair, maybe she did not realize just how bad things would be for BG; but, then again, maybe she should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom