love this paige quote on NIL [merged thread] | The Boneyard

love this paige quote on NIL [merged thread]

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
“It's really not that hard to educate yourself,” Bueckers said. “But it's like people create these narratives in their head and it’s so hard to undo it because then people just follow those narratives and then people who don't know nothing follow other people who don't know nothing and it's just like a bunch of people who know nothing. It’s just impossible.”

from an article in Maggie Vanoni piece about sue bird, aliyah boston and nneka agwumike roundtable discusion about NIL

right on! she's no dummy.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
“It's really not that hard to educate yourself,” Bueckers said. “But it's like people create these narratives in their head and it’s so hard to undo it because then people just follow those narratives and then people who don't know nothing follow other people who don't know nothing and it's just like a bunch of people who know nothing. It’s just impossible.”

from an article in Maggie Vanoni piece about sue bird, aliyah boston and nneka agwumike roundtable discusion about NIL

For sure. But I'd like to see her work on the double-negative thing. :D

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

And she just perfectly summed up the internet!

Reaction Score
I think that sort of talk is kinda the slang for today’s kids. They probably know what proper speech is and just choose to ignore it.

Reaction Score
For sure. But I'd like to see her work on the double-negative thing. :D
Her editor will take care of that stuff... : ) And I agree with you.
"What do they teach these children in schools today?" (my favorite writer)

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
people do speak as in paige's quote ,,, she didn't write it out: if she had i'da credited her as a witty writer, not just a perceptive one.

'twas off the cuff, nitpickers :D

Reaction Score
A little linguistics history: The double negative actually used to be common in Old English to emphasize rather than cancel out the negation. It's commonly used in African American Vernacular English and Appalachian English but, in those cases, negative assumptions are made about the users' intelligence. It's interesting how language and judgments around language evolve. Now back to basketball. :)

Reaction Score
Huge Paige fan. I agree with some of what she's saying and get the sentiment but I think it's not as black and white. Sue bird had this quote in the article.

Women's college basketball has a huge-state platform, rightfully so it's earned, it's deserved,” Bird said. “There's this misconception that the WNBA is less than. That you're taking the pay cut. There are gonna be some college kids that are making more in their NIL in college than they will as a pro. That's going to be real. And there's some that made less in college and will make more as a pro. And what it all really comes down to is your game.

So Paige's point which others have hammered home is that college athletes don't necessarily just lose there deals once they become pro and so the narrative some have alluded to is inaccurate, especially because often times they are talking about the elite players who one would hope would continue to have value after they graduate from school. But there are other athletes that are on the opposite end of the spectrum. Additionally, and Paige is super young, but she commented about how people speculate about her salary but it's nowhere near how much they mention because of taxes and needing to pay your agent. I just think that's the case with most athletes, like reporters don't do the calculations of their net pay and then report salary. Most ppl also say their gross income or what their job offers when reporting their salary as opposed to net pay.

Reaction Score
A small hijack, but in light of the drift to a discussion on language, look up the song "Elderly Man River" by Stan Freberg on youtube. It's good for a chuckle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom