"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
On espn3 now.

First chance to see the 2014-15 Cards

Most impressive player so far...freshman Mariya Moore

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Notre Dame just wrapped up its version of the World Vision Classic with a win over Quinnipiac 112-52. ND played and won 3 games in 3 days against Holy Cross, Harvard and Quinnipiac.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame just wrapped up its version of the World Vision Classic with a win over Quinnipiac 112-52. ND played and won 3 games in 3 days against Holy Cross, Harvard and Quinnipiac.
That's a pretty week tournament. At least the one UConn is in this weekend has P5 participants.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That's a pretty week tournament. At least the one UConn is in this weekend has P5 participants.

Actually, it wasn't a tournament. I was just bringing back memories of that awful Thanksgiving tournament UConn played in a couple of times which involved consecutive games against teams the caliber of Holy Cross, Harvard and Quinnipiac.

Last edited:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Big Woop. :rolleyes:

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Louisville leads 72-50 with 8 minutes to go.

Bria Smith working a career/record night.

18pts 10 reb 6 assists and a couple baskets away from 1000 career points

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Bria Smith got it. 22pts 10reb 10 assists and 998 points.

Congrats to the New York native

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
non-louisville related

But Duke won vs Buffalo tonight.

4 duke freshman scored in double figures tonight. Sierra Calhoun had 21 points and 7 rebounds. ... Rebecca Greenwell had another Double double (she averages almost 10 rebounds a game), and Azura Stevens had 12 points 7 rebounds in only 7 minutes of playing :eek:

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
triaddukefan said:
non-louisville related But Duke won vs Buffalo tonight. 4 duke freshman scored in double figures tonight. Sierra Calhoun had 21 points and 7 rebounds. ... Rebecca Greenwell had another Double double (she averages almost 10 rebounds a game), and Azura Stevens had 12 points 7 rebounds in only 7 minutes of playing :eek:

Preseason I'm not sure I would have said this but, Duke appears to be a better team this season. True test will probably come in ACC. Don't you guys have South Carolina coming up soon?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Preseason I'm not sure I would have said this but, Duke appears to be a better team this season. True test will probably come in ACC. Don't you guys have South Carolina coming up soon?

@ TAMU on Sunday, @ Nebraska on wednesday... and South Carolina on Dec 7

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Bria Smith had a fantastic game, notched a triple-double, only the 3rd player in U of L history to do that. She played like I have been expecting her to play for the last two years. We will see how she performs when we get to some stronger competition. Historically, she has become a wallflower with the stiffer competition. Hoping she is able to maintain this kind momentum heading into the meat of the OOC schedule. She is also at 998 for career points, so will hit another milestone in the next game.

Mariya Moore has been fantastic! She has scored 74 points in her first 4 games. She is going to be very special for this team. Finally, Myeshia Hines-Allen (also a freshman) is also starting off great. She is not afraid of contact in the paint and has very good hands and a very soft touch around the rim. She has a lot of work to do on the defensive end, though.

All of that being said, I have no idea how good we are or will be. We have not yet faced any stiff competition. Starting next week we face Iowa, KY and CAL. We will know a lot more then.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
triad, I so look forward to meeting you all this season. I am a HUGE Greenwell fan (she hails from the Bluegrass State) and look forward to seeing her on the court. I am hopeful she remains healthy. A healthy Greenwell is a very, very good Greenwell.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Bria Smith had a fantastic game, notched a triple-double, only the 3rd player in U of L history to do that. She played like I have been expecting her to play for the last two years. We will see how she performs when we get to some stronger competition. Historically, she has become a wallflower with the stiffer competition. Hoping she is able to maintain this kind momentum heading into the meat of the OOC schedule. She is also at 998 for career points, so will hit another milestone in the next game.

Mariya Moore has been fantastic! She has scored 74 points in her first 4 games. She is going to be very special for this team. Finally, Myeshia Hines-Allen (also a freshman) is also starting off great. She is not afraid of contact in the paint and has very good hands and a very soft touch around the rim. She has a lot of work to do on the defensive end, though.

All of that being said, I have no idea how good we are or will be. We have not yet faced any stiff competition. Starting next week we face Iowa, KY and CAL. We will know a lot more then.
So refreshing to read honest assessments of a fans' own players. I refer specifically to the comment about Bria being a wallflower in big games. I can't speak to that because I've not seen her play unless it's vs. UCONN, and haven't followed her career, but good on you!

Side note - glad to see Walz really ramping up the recruiting. I still think you guys are weak in the post (don't you start 6'2" Hammond as your 5?) but you did land Degrate and Feurhing out of 2015. Not exactly Mercedes Russell, but given her foot problems, I'm not sure if she will ever be the force that fans hoped for (maybe more Ashley Robinson than Tina Charles)...

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Sherrone Vails is our only true center, and she is 6-4. She is a 5th year senior, and all I can say is "bless her heart". She does not start and likely will not start. Walz seems to play a lot of power forward types. Hammond (6-2), Emmonnie Henderson (6-1) Shawnta Dyer and freshman Myisha Hines-Allen 6-1 and 6-2). I am not sure if that is a product of his liking, or if he can not get a true center in here. It has been the one thing that Louisville fans continue to nag him about. Walz is quite accessible to the fan base and his sarcastic answer is usually "do you want a 6-2 kid who can play and bang around in the post or a 6-6 kid who is going to ride the bench?" You can't coach height, true, but height for height's sake doesn't help much either.

We are getting DeGrate and Fuehring next year. Not sure what to expect of them. DeGrate looks big and not as mobile as Walz's type of play would warrant. Fuehring is a past teammate of Hines-Allen. If she is close to the same caliber as Hines-Allen, we are in for a treat. Time will tell on these two.

That being said even without a true center, we have some very, very strong and powerful 4's. I thing our final score last night was 85, 72 of those points were in the paint. We are not going to be a 3pt threat this year but we have a compliment of 6 players that can really take the contact down low. Again, we will know more after the aforementioned 3 games.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
UCONN had 3 PF-4 type players and they did ok if memory serves me right. Correct! You can't teach height but from what I saw last night Hammond/Hines-Allen/Henderson/Dywer were doing a pretty good job. I liked what I saw. With that said Mariya Moore!!! WOW!! She didn't score a lot last night but she does ALL the extra things, passes, defends, hustle plays. Not sure where vowelguy had her composite rankings but she is fantastic

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
UCONN had 3 PF-4 type players and they did ok if memory serves me right. Correct! You can't teach height but from what I saw last night Hammond/Hines-Allen/Henderson/Dywer were doing a pretty good job. I liked what I saw. With that said Mariya Moore!!! WOW!! She didn't score a lot last night but she does ALL the extra things, passes, defends, hustle plays. Not sure where vowelguy had her composite rankings but she is fantastic

I couldn't agree with you more. I am not sure what she was ranked coming out of high school. A certain orange colored fan base was saying she only made the U18 team because of Walz, and that is just not true. The kid plays hard. She does not take plays off. She had a terrible night offensively last night (terrible relative to her first 4 games), but she was still impacting the game by doing the hustle plays, making the extra passes, getting in passing lanes, diving for loose balls. We got a gem in this one.

I am not one to wish my life away, and this case, a whole season of basketball. HOWEVER, I am so excited about Moore and Durr having 3 years together, I just have to put it out there. WOW!

Reaction Score
I saw Mariya Moore of Salesian play in high school three times against St Mary's two McDonald's AAs-Gabby Green and Micayla Cowlings. And each time she was the best player on the floor. I then saw Mariya Moore in the Northern Ca. regional championships. Again, she was the best player out there. For some reason there wasn't the buzz about her that other recruits have had. But she is a great player.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I saw Mariya Moore of Salesian play in high school three times against St Mary's two McDonald's AAs-Gabby Green and Micayla Cowlings. And each time she was the best player on the floor.

Cowlings has been really good for Cal too.

Reaction Score
Absolutely correct. Cowlings is the second leading scorer at Cal at 16points/game and is shooting, amazingly, 71% for threes. Cal plays Louisville on Dec. 21 and then we can see how good both teams are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom