Louisville Expanding Stadium | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Louisville Expanding Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Louisville is part of the Kentucky state university system.
My bad. I'll stick with political support argument. I know, we take education more seriously, but we also spend recklessly.

Reaction Score
Louisville is part of the Kentucky state university system.
I googled grad rates for the their state university system. It was found 5 pages into the search.
3 of the eight topped out in the low 50's after 6 years.
I guess I'll try anything to make myself feel better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I see no evidence the state politicians value sports programs.

In a state where nothing gets approved in a hurry, the state approved The Rent in about 20 minutes after Kraft pulled out. Try again.

Reaction Score
  1. It's funny to say this..BUT Jurich went with the "safe, sexy hire" when he hired Kragthorpe to replace Petrino...Kragthorpe was the next best thing when he got the UL job. He quickly went down in flames...

The big question is how badly Petrino part II will burn Louisville down the road. that said, they have their faults; but, putting their money where their mouth is with respect to investing in their sport programs whether it be football (new practice facility, football stadium can be expanded to 80K), , basketball (practice facility 2007), and even soccer (built 2014), baseball (built 2005), and rowing (built 2011) with the only elephant in the room being the possible bankruptcy of the entity that controls the Yum! Center and what impact, if any, that would have on the university.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The big question is how badly Petrino part II will burn Louisville down the road. that said, they have their faults; but, putting their money where their mouth is with respect to investing in their sport programs whether it be football (new practice facility, football stadium can be expanded to 80K), , basketball (practice facility 2007), and even soccer (built 2014), baseball (built 2005), and rowing (built 2011) with the only elephant in the room being the possible bankruptcy of the entity that controls the Yum! Center and what impact, if any, that would have on the university.

That, and they play in The Yum! Center.

Reaction Score
Shows how screwed CSU was when Jurich left for Louisville an was replaced by that idiot Hathaway. IMHO facility wise Warde Manuel has done yeoman's work since he was hired to upgrade facilities that were for a long time ignored by Hathaway. Basketball Champions facility is done, Morrone Stadium upgrade is on it's way to being completed, and (in accordance with the Hockey East terms of admission that UCONN agreed to) plans for a new ice hockey barn/team facility will be out by April 2016. It will be nice to see the plans for the baseball and softball facility upgrades completed as well.

Reaction Score
That, and they play in The Yum! Center.

The city of Louisville built the Yum! Center and basically gave the University one of the sweetest sweetheart deals in history to convince the Cardinals to move downtown from Freedom Hall. Thus, I purposely excluded that one. Basically, the University keep 90% of revenue from tickets ales, concessions and parking for gams at the Yum! The 10% is no where near enough to cover the arena's debt of $350 million or so. So while the University is the largest tenant, Kentucky tax payers (U Kentucky fans love this) are on the hook for debt overruns while the legal entity that control the Yum! Center is basically bankrupt. The combination of this deal and the increase in capacity of the Yum! Center over Freedom Hall explains how Louisville jumped in value 40% in 2 years and is now locked in as Forbes most valuable college basketball team by $8 or $9 million over #2 Kansas.

http://insiderlouisville.com/news/u...e-paid-to-cover-kfc-yum-center-bond-payments/

Reaction Score
People here say Louisville is academically challenged, but they were smarter than UConn in getting into a P5 when it was necessary. They knew what was needed and made sure it got done. I don't understand why people here can't see that in regards to Louisville. It doesn't matter that they hired a football coach that some think is questionable, it doesn't matter that their academics may be weak. They knew the score and how to play the game, and their AD is a masterful leader. They are way ahead of UConn at this point, I am sorry to say.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The city of Louisville built the Yum! Center and basically gave the University one of the sweetest sweetheart deals in history to convince the Cardinals to move downtown from Freedom Hall. Thus, I purposely excluded that one. Basically, the University keep 90% of revenue from tickets ales, concessions and parking for gams at the Yum! The 10% is no where near enough to cover the arena's debt of $350 million or so. So while the University is the largest tenant, Kentucky tax payers (U Kentucky fans love this) are on the hook for debt overruns while the legal entity that control the Yum! Center is basically bankrupt. The combination of this deal and the increase in capacity of the Yum! Center over Freedom Hall explains how Louisville jumped in value 40% in 2 years and is now locked in as Forbes most valuable college basketball team by $8 or $9 million over #2 Kansas.

http://insiderlouisville.com/news/u...e-paid-to-cover-kfc-yum-center-bond-payments/
Kind of the reverse of the UConn deal with the XL Center, where we are looked at to save downtown Hartford from itself. I can't wait for the announcement that UConn Hockey won't be getting an on-campus arena because it is too successful bringing crowds to Hartford.

Reaction Score
Kind of the reverse of the UConn deal with the XL Center, where we are looked at to save downtown Hartford from itself. I can't wait for the announcement that UConn Hockey won't be getting an on-campus arena because it is too successful bringing crowds to Hartford.
Be prepared for HE to possibly tell UCONN to take a walk...part of their deal is to have an on-campus arena of 4500 seat minimum seating capacity. This was made VERY clear to UCONN and all the powers that be when they accepted the invite. Every school in HE plays in an on-campus arena except UCONN...some are smaller than 4500 only because they were grandfathered. It's really pretty simple..no 4500 seat or bigger arena on campus means UCONN failed to comply to the terms of the invite..bye bye...and QU or Holy Cross would just be chomping at the bit to take UCONN's place.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Be prepared for HE to possibly tell UCONN to take a walk...part of their deal is to have an on-campus arena of 4500 seat minimum seating capacity. This was made VERY clear to UCONN and all the powers that be when they accepted the invite. Every school in HE plays in an on-campus arena except UCONN...some are smaller than 4500 only because they were grandfathered. It's really pretty simple..no 4500 seat or bigger arena on campus means UCONN failed to comply to the terms of the invite..bye bye...and QU or Holy Cross would just be chomping at the bit to take UCONN's place.
If we are averaging 6k in Hartford they might want to re-think that.

Reaction Score
If we are averaging 6k in Hartford they might want to re-think that.
There is nothing to rethink...it is in writing as part of HE bylaws. If they want to go with the minimum size on campus and put all the marquee games in Hartford that works...but UCONN, CT and Malloy aren't going to dictate to HE on a membership requirement. HE is a private group of schools and it is a privilege for UCONN to be a member not a right. Besides if they do get HE to allow UCONN to stay in Hartford...the state better pony up some SERIOUS cash to renovate and enlarge Freitas as a practice facility. If something doesn't get done on campus then recruiting will stagnate and you won't see 6000 people at a game in Hartford anymore...and please don't tell me that won't happen...it did with football.

Reaction Score
There is nothing to rethink...it is in writing as part of HE bylaws. If they want to go with the minimum size on campus and put all the marquee games in Hartford that works...but UCONN, CT and Malloy aren't going to dictate to HE on a membership requirement. HE is a private group of schools and it is a privilege for UCONN to be a member not a right. Besides if they do get HE to allow UCONN to stay in Hartford...the state better pony up some SERIOUS cash to renovate and enlarge Freitas as a practice facility. If something doesn't get done on campus then recruiting will stagnate and you won't see 6000 people at a game in Hartford anymore...and please don't tell me that won't happen...it did with football.
Conspiracy Kitty would probably tell you that the HE membership is an audition for the team to show that they can draw big crowds & play competitive hockey before the University is given a B1G invitation for all sports. Once said invitation is accepted the point is moot.

Reaction Score

Why would anyone in the HE care whether or not the arena is on-campus? If it's drawing big crowds and it more accessible for travel, wouldn't that be better for them?

Reaction Score
Why would anyone in the HE care whether or not the arena is on-campus? If it's drawing big crowds and it more accessible for travel, wouldn't that be better for them?
I don't know...why do they have a required on-campus seating capacity size. More accessible for travel...it's easier for them to get to Storrs than Hartford. These teams travel by bus. The HE terms UCONN accepted were VERY clear. I can see playing the big games in Hartford BUT they need to get something done on campus.

Reaction Score
Conspiracy Kitty would probably tell you that the HE membership is an audition for the team to show that they can draw big crowds & play competitive hockey before the University is given a B1G invitation for all sports. Once said invitation is accepted the point is moot.
Coach I'm not holding my breath on a B1G invite...besides the B1G will be a HUGE step down hockey wise from HE.

Reaction Score
I don't know...why do they have a required on-campus seating capacity size. More accessible for travel...it's easier for them to get to Storrs than Hartford. These teams travel by bus. The HE terms UCONN accepted were VERY clear. I can see playing the big games in Hartford BUT they need to get something done on campus.

I don't care what the terms are, and neither does anyone else. They care about the actual utility of the site. There's no way you're going to convince me that the Hockey East is going to expel UConn because they're playing too often in Hartford.

Reaction Score

'Seating size' is clearly an aphorism that a school must invest a certain amount of money and resources to be a Hockey East member. I believe it is a relatively new issue as I remember reading in the local paper when I lived north of Boston that Merrimack College was struggling with it - their arena, Lawlor, holds 2,600 or so.

As for On Campus, college hockey is that, college hockey. Its not the AHL. Eventually, the newness of UConn hockey will wear off and there will be a bad season or two (every team in every sports goes through cycles) and when that happens, people in Hartford will head home and not stick around in the evening to catch a game and the Huskies will be playing in front of maybe 2,000 fans in a 16K arena. Hopefully, on campus, a decent portion of UConn's 18K on-campus population likes hockey games and 3,000 (16%) students go plus 1,00o others and you have 4,000 attending, which is Hockey East's average attendance in 2014/5, in a 5K arena. That is a much better environment.

Reaction Score
I don't care what the terms are, and neither does anyone else. They care about the actual utility of the site. There's no way you're going to convince me that the Hockey East is going to expel UConn because they're playing too often in Hartford.

This is the attitude that landed us in the AAC

Reaction Score
People here say Louisville is academically challenged, but they were smarter than UConn in getting into a P5 when it was necessary. They knew what was needed and made sure it got done. I don't understand why people here can't see that in regards to Louisville. It doesn't matter that they hired a football coach that some think is questionable, it doesn't matter that their academics may be weak. They knew the score and how to play the game, and their AD is a masterful leader. They are way ahead of UConn at this point, I am sorry to say.
Our priorities went askew, we spent billions on academic buildings, programs, hiring more educators/researchers and residence halls. Forgive us.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'm a fan of playing on campus as much as possible. Today's engaged student is tomorrow's suit buying seasons tickets. I get the convenience argument that the FFC group makes and as an out of stater I don't feel like my vote is as relevant as the guys who go to every game.

That said, even with a bias for playing on campus, I do think something special is going on with Connecticut hockey and playing in Hartford. It needs to managed carefully, however. The market should neither be saturated with a ton of games, nor strangled with excessive pricing as was done with men's and woman's basketball. If managed correctly, playing a limited number of big games there and maybe a game or two during the break, it could be a great marketing/recruiting strength of the program.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm not being a Richard. But here are Hockey East bylaws, in case anyone cares to read: http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/pdf/M & W BY-LAWS/Revised Men's By-Laws September 19.pdf.

Unless I have completely missed it, it doesn't address whether a facility needs to be on-campus or if it can be off-campus. It just outlines the minimum facility feature requirements. An on-campus facility could be one of those "desk drawer" requirements communicated unofficially. Personally speaking, this doesn't change my opinion that UConn needs to build an on-campus facility, even if it's just for practice, conditioning and a few games. Here's what I'm talking about...

Article VI — Program Standards

Section VI.1 Purpose of Standards: The standards, as described below, were developed by Hockey East to provide guidance, support, and assistance to all member institutions in develop- ing and maintaining men’s hockey programs of national caliber and competitiveness. These standards will also facilitate greater understanding of the responsibilities and obligations associ- ated with Hockey East membership. These standards also provide a clear baseline in terms of the resources, human and fiscal, and other support required of each member and will enable
the association to maintain and further develop its position and profile as the strongest hockey conference in the country. Lastly, standards provide prospective new members with an under- standing of the nature of the league and the resources required to be successful as a member of the league.

Section VI.2 Framework for Standards:

Standards reflect an intention to build and retain competitiveness on a national scale
Standards reflect an intention to provide high quality experiences for all student-athletes and fans Standards will be implemented over a 2-3 year phase-in period.Specific consequences/sanctions will be imposed upon institutions not in compliance with stan- dards

Section VI.3 Standards Content Areas:

A. Institutional Support

All Hockey East member institutions must provide the following forms of support for their men’s hockey program• 18 full scholarships available annually
• 1 full-time head coach and 2 full time salaried assistant coaches with 100% of their duties assigned to men’s hockey

• Full-time sports information staff member with significant responsibilities in men’s hockey and who travels to all away games• Full-time marketing/promotions professional staff member(s) with significant responsibili- ties in marketing and promoting men’s hockey

• Full-time staff member with significant portion of their time devoted to men’s hockey equipment matters and who travels to all away games

• Full-time certified athletic trainer assigned to men’s hockey and who travels to all away games

• Access to specialized medical professionals and services and including a physician and EMT’s on-site at all home games.

B. Facilities

• Minimum seating capacity 4000 with 20% of capacity being chair-back seats. Current HEA members must have a minimum capacity of 2000 with 20% of capacity being chair-back seats.
• Hockey East logo prominently displayed in the facility and on the ice surface. Logo size to be consistent with others in the facility.

• Visiting team locker room must be a minimum of 500 sf (not including showers and toi- lets) and able to accommodate student-athletes, staff, and equipment.• Locker room(s) with private shower and toilet to accommodate game officials
• Game time-clock connected directly to the scoreboard clock in home, visitors, and of- ficials locker rooms

• Locker rooms equipped with dry erase boards and markers MEN’S HOCKEY EAST BY-LAWS — PAGE 6

• Media/TV capability – sufficient electrical power and number of outlets in media locations for the operation and transmission of television, radio broadcasts, and for the operation of trans- mission equipment and computer terminals used by the media• A minimum of 110 vertical foot candles of light evenly balanced over the entire ice surface • Press box to comfortably accommodate print and electronic working media, visiting team coaches, and officials.

• 110 –volt electrical outlets with one outlet for every two seats in the press box
• Power requirements for television production of 200 amps, 3-phase to the trucks; of 150 amps, 3-phase combined to the satellite links and of 150 amps, 3-phase to the announcers’ posi- tion.

• Defined media area for post-game interviews
  • High-speed data lines and/or wireless internet capability
  • Spectator amenities/services including clean and well presented lobby and display areas
  • Clean and sufficient restroom areas for capacity crowds
  • Multiple concessions areas and area for sale of team/league merchandise

C. Competitive Aspects

• Members must schedule a minimum of 34 games against NCAA Division I institutions
    • No games (exhibition or non-conference) shall be permitted with NCAA Division II, III or non-varsity hockey-playing institutions

D. Team Services

• Unless restricted by the host institution’s intercollegiate facility schedule, practice time must be provided to the visiting team on game days, when requested by the visiting team no less than 14 days prior to the game.• Visiting team and officials’ locker rooms shall be supplied with towels, soap, and re- freshments. On-ice officials shall also be provided with a post-game meal and parking for their vehicle(s).
  • Water, coolers, cups, ice and towels shall be provided for immediate care/treatment pur- poses

• Taping table and an exercise bicycle shall be provided in the visiting team locker room or vicinity

• The athletic training room shall be made available to visiting teams for treatment and rehabilitation purposes• A physician shall be available for visiting teams upon request during all games
    • A video feed will be provided during games to visiting teams

E. Marketing, Media & Event Management

• Season tickets sales plan must be developed and implemented each season
    • Playoff ticket option must be made available with all season ticket packages
    • Average attendance for each season must be a minimum of 2000
    • A seasonal marketing and promotions plan must be developed and implemented annually • Each member must have radio broadcasts of all games

• Each member must video stream all home games, unless restricted by existing contracts. • Each member must develop and maintain a high quality website, linked to the HEA website, which includes up-to-date information, statistics, features, etc. about it’s men’s hockey program

• Each member must organize various promotions to generate excitement and increase the entertainment value for spectators at all games• Each member shall cooperate with HEA in all branding initiatives
    • Institutions must publish a high quality media guide and/or game program which includes coach/player profiles and program/individuals statistics

MEN’S HOCKEY EAST BY-LAWS — PAGE 7
• Hockey East logo must appear prominently (front or back cover) in all hockey-related publications• A minimum of 3 PA announcements which includes day-of out of town scores, and other Hockey East announcements (tournament tickets, etc)• Institutions are encouraged to develop entertaining pre-game introductions which con- form to pre-game protocol• Provide at no cost one parking spot for visiting team officials/athletic director, if requested.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

I love that damn cat.

Reaction Score
Oh god, shut up.

Let's sue the ACC. don't sign a contract with Notre Dame cause they want to play in New Jersey or Foxborough. Okay, enjoy spitting at the best conference in the country. You will feel better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom