Loudest/Wildest Crowds in UConn History | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Loudest/Wildest Crowds in UConn History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've never heard any arena louder than this...watch the first four minutes of the game. Watch the people as the camera pans through the crowd after Scott Burrell's dunk...

Pink Hat Kids Dad at 11:26

Reaction Score
Which "snow game" are you referring to exactly in #2?
It was 2005. There was a massive snow storm and they let students into gampel for free. Gampel was packed with probably 90% students. Uconn was crushing Pitt in the first half and the place was going crazy and then had a terrible second half and ended up losing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The loudest I ever attended was the 1988 NIT game in the Field House against VCU. A win meant the Final Four in MSG. They put in extra seats wherever they fit. VCU walked into a buzzsaw, they never knew what hit them. Second was the 1990 G'town game.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Which "snow game" are you referring to exactly in #2?

I think it was 05. There was a massive snow storm for a Thursday or Friday night game and nearly every ticket holder donated their season tickets back to be given away for free to any student within walking distance. The result was essentially a student section wrapping around the entire arena. The place was frenzied from the energy of it but troutman was tough and soiled it all.

Reaction Score
The loudest game from start to finish I've personally been to is Texas last year. The single loudest I've ever heard Gampel get was against UL in January 2014. Right after KO got ejected, and Blackshear was shooting the technical free throws, I think we were transported to another dimension with how loud it got. I remember Blackshear was like a 90% free throw shooter and badly missed the first one (maybe both, I can't remember for sure). I'd love to have seen a decibel level for that second.

Reaction Score
Texas game at Gampel 2010. The Kemba 3 already mentioned, and a Stix alley oop in the first half when Dyson threw the pass from half court were the 2 loudest moments. That, and what seemed like an endless streak of Texas turnovers and fast break layups. I thought this crowd was significantly louder than the Syracuse Gameday game a couple years later, but to be fair for Texas I was sitting in the 5th row or so of the student section, and Cuse I was in the top few rows, so that may have made a difference.

If you count watching the championship game in Gampel then doing that in 2011 was the loudest I've been to, but I don't think that really counts.

MSU game at MSG.

Those are the ones that stick out for me. I'm sure Shabazz against Florida was up there but I wasn't there.

Reaction Score
That Texas game was up there for sure. Our guys were playing at their best and they were really entertaining. I mean when Sticks was flying around like that it was special to watch.

Reaction Score
If you don't enjoy watching great UConn bball moments . . .
How on earth did you go from "this reminds me of redundant questions in trivial pursuit" to "don't enjoy watching great moments"? I just made a small quip - nothing more.
No need for your apparent attack on my fandom - really.

Reaction Score
This is the damn type of thread that causes me to lose 3 hours of my life in a uconnhuskygames.com hole.
"I spent 1/2 my summer watching re-runs of great moments and games in UConn basketball history. The other half I just wasted."

Reaction Score
These are all really good and loud crowds but as I've said before I will never sway from the 89-90 season vs GTown at the HCC. I can't find the archives to attach but at the "10-0" call by Gorman and immediately a UConn steal and a lay in and Gorman "....it's 12-nothing.......TO Gtown and this place is going banana's, I mean BANANA's" I can tell you being there he wasn't kidding. It was whacked in Hartford and for the games I've been at it wins this threads crown. Not saying others weren't as loud or louder but this took the cake for games I was at.

As far as UConn "away" games that Michigan State game was tremendous, what an advantage. There was a regular season game in the late 90's I believe vs the Johnnies and Ron Artest/Mike Jarvis which I was at and the UConn fans were covering at least half the building and were VERY loud. I think we made Jarvis schedule UConn mid week from there on in so we couldn't get bus loads down on a Saturday.
This

Followed closely by MSG last year, especially because that was a "neutral" site game and it was in the afternoon. It was electric, far louder than any other UConn game at the Garden and I went to the BET every year from 86 through the end

Reaction Score
I think it was 05. There was a massive snow storm for a Thursday or Friday night game and nearly every ticket holder donated their season tickets back to be given away for free to any student within walking distance. The result was essentially a student section wrapping around the entire arena. The place was frenzied from the energy of it but troutman was tough and soiled it all.

It was a Saturday night game. The first ever College Gameday. Best and Worst game I ever attended.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
The Michigan St game at MSG was absolutely insane and everybody who was there knows just how crazy that atmosphere was. The Louisville game at MSG for the 2011 Big East Chanpionship was on that same level since the building was also about 85% UConn. Texas at Gampel in 2010 was great as well. I wasnt expecting the crowd to be as loud as it was. Since Texas already lost earlier in the week, i thought it was going to lose some of the luster of a #1 team coming to Gampel but I was clearly wrong. You could feel that crowd was ready to go 30 minutes before the game even started. It was deafening at many points in the 2nd half, especially after we took the lead and Kemba hit that 3.

OkaForPrez mentioned the Notre Dame game at the Civic Center in 2004. That game always stood out to me as well but never really got mentioned in these types of threads. That was a great atmosphere for a Hartford crowd. That was a payback game so i think that had a lot to do with the lively crowd that afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom