Loudest/Wildest Crowds in UConn History | The Boneyard

Loudest/Wildest Crowds in UConn History

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I know this has been discussed before but I wanted to start a thread dedicated to it with specific examples.

I was recently reliving the Texas at UConn game from 2010 when UT came to Gampel as #1 in the nation on UHG.com. Needless to say, I have always thought Kemba's late game 3 to put UConn up over Texas by 10+ was one of the wildest fan moments in UConn history, the crowd was unusually unruly that night and that shot just put the energy over the top.

What are some other specific moments in games that stood out to you, timestamped links are preferable.

Here's the shot I was referring to, the video is timestamped to right before the shot.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I might be biased since I was there, and I haven't been to that many BIG Gampel games. But Gampel was rocking.

Great moment, I was in the building as well, one of the highlights of my freshman year.

Ill raise you with another great crowd moment. This one wasnt exactly a home game but it really was. The 2014 game against MSU was the defining moment that proved that Madison Square Garden is unquestionably UConn's domain, their second home. Even St. John's doesnt get this type of treatment from the crowd at its home games. Easily one of the most bone chilling events I have ever witnessed in person. Harris waving his hands up and down before Napier's 3 here trying to get the crowd involved was the cherry on top, since he didnt seem to realize that the Garden was 80% blood thirsty UConn fans that night. Giffey's dunk the following basket was the crowd even wilder if thats even possible.

If and when UConn gets its invite to the B1G, I will personally credit this game as one of the factors to that decision as Delaney was in the building that night. I know he couldnt ignore this NYC presence one second.

*timestamped

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I might be biased since I was there, and I haven't been to that many BIG Gampel games. But Gampel was rocking.

I was there for that too, in the student section. Gampel absolutely exploded.

However, the longest sustained crowd noise I've heard, also from the lower level of the student section, was the next year when Cuse came to Gampel for Gameday.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I was at all 4 of the games posted above. For me the ones that stick out in my memory above the above:

1) MSU last year at MSG. That was an amazing experience and when we busted it open at the end the roof came off the place. Not bad for a nuetral court.

2) the first 10 minutes of the snow game against Pitt. Chevy trout man.

3) UConn Cuse in 2012 at gampel. When we close the gap in the 2nd half and tied it up, a mosh pit broke out in student section. It was bedlam. I remember just bouncing off everyone around me and I was 30 years old at the time. I believe we lost that game on the last possession on a Joseph basket.

Also remember the Civy going bonkers for a home game against ND during Chris Thomas' junior or Senior season.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I was at all 4 of the games posted above. For me the ones that stick out in my memory above the above:

1) MSU last year at MSG. That was an amazing experience and when we busted it open at the end the roof came off the place. Not bad for a nuetral court.

2) the first 10 minutes of the snow game against Pitt. Chevy trout man.

3) UConn Cuse in 2012 at gampel. When we close the gap in the 2nd half and tied it up, a mosh pit broke out in student section. It was bedlam. I remember just bouncing off everyone around me and I was 30 years old at the time. I believe we lost that game on the last possession on a Joseph basket.

Also remember the Civy going bonkers for a home game against ND during Chris Thomas' junior or Senior season.
Which "snow game" are you referring to exactly in #2?

Reaction Score
We took the lead for a few minutes. We were going absolutely nuts. The only time --and I've been to some games at Gampel-- where I could feel the place vibrating. Cheering reverberating off of walls. I get chills looking back. Top UConn sports moment personally experienced for me, because I'm not counting the rave we had after we won it all in 2011.

Sadly I didn't win the lottery for tix for the 2010 season when we had Texas. Was but a wee sophomore

Reaction Score
The 1999 championship game was pretty darn loud for such a large arena. Connecticut fans did not embarrass themselves.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I've never heard any arena louder than this...watch the first four minutes of the game. Watch the people as the camera pans through the crowd after Scott Burrell's dunk...

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Wasn't there but my friend said without question was the msu game at MSG. For me it was louisville big east tourney 2011

Reaction Score
I've never heard any arena louder than this...watch the first four minutes of the game. Watch the people as the camera pans through the crowd after Scott Burrell's dunk...

There isn't any Husky fan in the stands after Scott Burrell's dunk saying to themselves "How is Oregon's press looking now Lou?" LOL

Last edited:
Reaction Score
These are all really good and loud crowds but as I've said before I will never sway from the 89-90 season vs GTown at the HCC. I can't find the archives to attach but at the "10-0" call by Gorman and immediately a UConn steal and a lay in and Gorman "....it's 12-nothing.................TO Gtown and this place is going banana's, I mean BANANA's" I can tell you being there he wasn't kidding. It was whacked in Hartford and for the games I've been at it wins this threads crown. Not saying others weren't as loud or louder but this took the cake for games I was at.

As far as UConn "away" games that Michigan State game was tremendous, what an advantage. There was a regular season game in the late 90's I believe vs the Johnnies and Ron Artest/Mike Jarvis which I was at and the UConn fans were covering at least half the building and were VERY loud. I think we made Jarvis schedule UConn mid week from there on in so we couldn't get bus loads down on a Saturday.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
'Cuse at Gampel for Gameday is the loudest sustained crowd noise I can recall for a game I attended.

MSU at MSG was great; probably the loudest sustained UConn crowd I can recall there, but 'Cuse at Gampel was louder.

A few HCC moments stick out, but I can't think of one game that had sustained loudness as much as those two were.

Reaction Score
Yup. Mau nailed it. Georgetown at Uconn January 20, 1990. You can hear the crowd buzzing during the intros and when the Huskies blasted them at the beginning it just exploded. The end was sweet too with the Dove nailing a shot or two to ice it.

Drops mic

Reaction Score

That 17-2 start was amazing. 8 TO's by Cal.

Got to love the old production styles. They never replayed the gorgeous fast break where the ball never touched the ground. (at 11:00 of the video).

Reaction Score
That 17-2 start was amazing. 8 TO's by Cal.

Got to love the old production styles. They never replayed the gorgeous fast break where the ball never touched the ground. (at 11:00 of the video).

It was a great start (even a better start at the old Marriot bar that day before entering the game lol) and Campanelli deserved it by not giving them the credit they deserved. Can't believe he gave them and JC that extra fuel. That was definitely one of my Top 10 games attended of all time.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1996 Big East championship game vs Georgetown at MSG.

There might have been three Georgetown fans in the building.

It's not the loudest, but there was a random Pitt game in the early 90's that was just insanely loud for some reason. We ended up losing in the final seconds, but my ears were ringing the next day.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
This game is underated in my opinion because the XL center wasnt filled and it was such a low scoring game. But this is def one of the loudest games I been too.

Players thoughts:

Reaction Score
Out of the games I have been to:

2011 UConn Villanova (Kemba Game Winner)
2013 UConn Louisville (First Half)
2013 UConn Syracuse (Bad Taste of UConn)
2013 UConn Florida (Shabazz Buzzer Beater)
2014 UConn Louisville (Ollie Ejection)
2014 UConn MSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member