"Lou, there is no crying in basketball." | The Boneyard

"Lou, there is no crying in basketball."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"On multiple occasions he has proclaimed that Samuelson is tougher than she looks and her willingness to go to areas of the court that will lead to more body contact has helped in her maturity as a player.

“It’s hard to say if she’s always been like that,” Auriemma said. “Sometimes you don’t always have to show it. To me it is always important that you present a certain attitude, a certain mentality when you are a player. When you are an athlete, you are a competitor, you have to expect certain things, you have to expect that it is going to be hard, you have to expect that there is going to be injuries, you have to expect that you are going to have to play with a sprained ankle, you are going to have to play with a black eye. You are going to have to play through all of that stuff. I had to give her the Tom Hanks’ line (from A League of Their Own movie) that, ‘Lou, there is no crying in basketball.’ Sometimes you have to act the part before you become that. Instead of just cruising through and you realize that you are the go-to player in a lot of ways, things are not going to be easy anymore. Freshman year, you just rented a spot in the corner and jacked up 3s every possession, things were easy and nobody bothered you. Those days are long gone, she has made adjustments. I think she understands it and plays through it and that to me is what every great player has to do.”
“If I am not willing to do that[take the bumping and grabbing], I am going to get shut down and I am not going to be able to play here,” Samuelson said. “It is one of those things that you have to do it or just sit down. I have tried to do whatever I can.”

UConn’s Katie Lou Samuelson named AAC Player of the Year

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
"Freshman year, you just rented a spot in the corner and jacked up 3s every possession"

LMBO, I'm dying, great line Geno :D:D:D:D:D:D

That is a great quote, but not the only great one in that article, some from Geno, some from Lou. How about Geno, regarding toughness: "Sometimes you have to act the part before you become that". Right? Not only for toughness, and not only for basketball.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
I find this quote in the article from Jose so very apt at describing the impact of KLS on the UCONN team (I believe Geno said something similar earlier in the season):

“As a freshmen, she had so many other people surrounding her and you look at her now and she is not that kid who sits behind the 3-point line,” said South Florida coach Jose Fernandez, who was named the AAC’s Coach of the Year. “She can create off the bounce, she rebounds, she can post guys up. I just think when she is on the floor, there is almost a sense of calmness about them just because she can stretch the defense and there are so many things she does well.”

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou, Pheesa, Gabby, and even Kia to some degree just played supporting roles as the incomparable Big 3 did the heavy lifting.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Even the Mamba knows talent :cool:

Kobe Bryant‏Verified account @kobebryant 2h2 hours ago

Kobe Bryant added,

DXXp-TAUQAA_2OZ.jpg

UConn Women's HoopsVerified account @UconnWBB
LOOOOOOOOUUUUUU! #DemandMore
18 replies245 retweets1,989 likes

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
ESPN3 just played this wild interview with players and Geno, Sue, Tina, Lou, DT Steph with a pyschiatrist format and the players and Geno with heads seemingly inside TV sets. Weird, but it worked!

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
ESPN3 just played this wild interview with players and Geno, Sue, Tina, Lou, DT Steph with a pyschiatrist format and the players and Geno with heads seemingly inside TV sets. Weird, but it worked!

Do you have a link?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tulane vs. Memphis (First Round, Game 3) (The American Women's Basketball Championship)

But it was a half time feature on Geno. There will be replay available if you can get ESPN3. But will replay include that I dunno?

Lot of work went into it. I suspect we'll all see it 'til we are sick of it, starting tomorrow.

Yes, it's there. At half-time. The Players-on-Geno video starts to play at the 41:28 mark in the tape: Tulane vs. Memphis (First Round, Game 3) (The American Women's Basketball Championship)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom