Looks Like ACC CCG Dergulation WIll Pass | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Looks Like ACC CCG Dergulation WIll Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This guy stimp is on a divisive mission here fishy but he's very smooth(professional?).

You should just tell people that Rutgers produced as many NFL players as Louisville, Cuse and Pitt combined in the last several years. Unfortunately, all that talent did not equate to winning as much as you should have, but clearly Rutgers had the most talented players out there.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This guy stimp is on a divisive mission here fishy but he's very smooth(professional?).

If "smooth" means "dense as f---", then I agree.

But if it makes you feel better, I think we lump you all into the same big pig pile of athletic meh overly rewarded for winning some sort of geographical lottery.

Reaction Score
You could not have kept your sports in the Catholic 7 because the Catholics don't have a full array of Olympic sports. And really, the A10? You call us bitter. You're dense in the head.
Again, you miss the point because all you see and hear is your own bitterness tempered by your sense of entitlement. That point is that if football independence is all ND is about, we could be fully independent now.

We are where we are as we are because that is easily the best place for us to be, for the entire athletics department and the university.

Reaction Score
That's exactly what ND is all about. ND only cares for itself and could careless about the conference. This is why ACC will end up just like the old BE once ESPiN is done protecting it. ACC is looking more and more like the old BE everyday. When ACC blows up, ND will simply find a new home somewhere else.

This is exactly why UCONN needs to find a stable home in another conference. Hopefully, it is the B1G since we are now a perfect fit for it. We certainly don't want to repeat what happened with the old BE again.

I agree with this. I also think that every school thinks this way and acts in their own perceived self interests.

Texas stays in the Big 12 because they perceive that is in their own best self interests. The same with North Carolina, Alabama, Ohio State, etc... regarding their conferences.

Conference membership certainly is not enshrined in our Constitution or came down to us from Mt. Sinai. It is just a business arrangement for athletic departments, not some holy or hallowed institutions.

Does UConn really care about the other schools in the AAC or the conference itself? Why should it? UConn has to, and should, look out for only themselves.

To me, conferences (especially today) are simply made for TV collections of schools banded together only by their self interests. They are temporary business arrangements to be used for promotion of self interest until changes in the landscape or the nature of televisions revenues is altered.

Then, the deck may be shuffled again. Everyone looks at for their own self interests, or should. Things chance, conference membership changes.

Conference realignment the past few years has made the point better than any argument I could come up with. Schools have moved all over for more $$ and for their perceived best self interests.

The only difference is at ND, they see independence (full or partial) as more in line with their self interests than full conference membership.

Why in the world would anyone"care" about a conference, anyway?

Reaction Score
Again, you miss the point because all you see and hear is your own bitterness tempered by your sense of entitlement. That point is that if football independence is all ND is about, we could be fully independent now.

We are where we are as we are because that is easily the best place for us to be, for the entire athletics department and the university.

Why in the world would they choose the A10 over the ACC? That's one of the most bizarre things anyone has said here, and it's really irrelevant to the conversation since the B1G never offered them a partial membership.

Reaction Score
Why in the world would anyone"care" about a conference, anyway?

Conferences are now something more. The P5 have tried to ringfence their domain with new legislation. There may yet be some legal ramifications for what they are trying to do.

Reaction Score
Conference membership certainly is not enshrined in our Constitution or came down to us from Mt. Sinai?

Notre Dame is quite versed in the concept of associating itself with a hierarchy. In fact, it benefits immensely from its association with said hierarchy. In fact, its identity is completely wrapped up in it even though it often fails to live up to its own ideals.

Louisiana also benefits from such hierarchical benefits laid out in the Constitution, but that's another story...

Reaction Score

But if it makes you feel better, I think we lump you all into the same big pig pile of athletic meh overly rewarded for winning some sort of geographical lottery.
Hey it is what it is. I never delude myself over RU's mediocrity but coming from an outlander(IMO) who my guess is would never talk this way to someones face is frustrating as heck plus stimp seems too smart to be SO STUPID! lol. Heck I try to avoid as a guest even mentioning RU but stimp love's too at every chance force me too to create a rift here and divert the ACC antagonism to the B1G(sure stimp blame RU for being invited and Swoffy's dumb addition)...but im sure u already knew that Fishy.

Reaction Score
This is the kind of opening we(UConn) need to accelerate this slow efin AAU process to keep our head above water finacially,recruiting etc etc...no u know i want the big eastern schools to stay together. Keep ur fingers crossed!!Good luck..
The Big 12 is also Iowa state,Kansas ,Kansas State,those schools don't have much in common with the Texas Or even Oklahoma schools.
For that matter BC and pick a southern ACC school.
Heck were talking South Carolina and Mass. A good portion of the formers states residents think the Pope is the Anti-Christ and Jesuits are hired assassins.
CR makes strange bedfellows.
Even the somewhat homogeneous conferences have exceptions,
Like Stamford,Northwestern,and Vanderbilt all privates in conferences dominated by publics.,but the ACC is by far the oddest collection of the P5

Reaction Score
The Midwest is going to have to get a Buzz now over Rutgers. ND is gone.

Again with The Rutgers digs? It's starting to get a bit creepy. We get it. Rutgers doesn't have a tradition of athletic success comparable to a school like ND. Who cares? Every fan base has a handful of teams on their schedule that they are less than excited to see come to town. Do you honestly think FSU, Clemson, or Miami Fans are pumped about the prospect of playing Syracuse, Wake Forest, or BC in football?

Last time I checked The Irish weren't in The B1G, so all of this is moot anyway. UM, MSU, and Purdue can now replace The Irish with another quality OOC opponnent should they desire to do so. Tradition goes both ways. If ND and it's administration no longer value these matchups, The B1G and its members will eventually feel the same way.

While ND is good for business for these B1g Schools, so are they in return when visiting South Bend. I can assure you that the Midwestern Irish Fans who actually attend Irish Home games in THE STATE OF INDIANA, will miss seeing these traditional Midwestern Matchups. UVA will resonate about as much as ODU will on their home schedule. TV will also be affected, as these games have traditionally drawn strong ratings.

Rutgers is admittedly a gamble. Delany is gambling that RU can elevate it's program by recieving an improved conference payout. I believe they can as well. I don't ever see them being a power, as there is too much competition for talent in the state of NJ. That said being decent in Football and Basketball is not out of the question. In the mean time the conference will benefit from increased exposure in the NYC Market, increased cable fees in NJ, and greater access to a valuable recruiting territory.

Reaction Score
Financially and football wise that would be great for UConn. Not so good for Olympic athletes.

It also sets things up well for a major B1G expansion when the B12 TV contract/GoR expires. Presumably we'd be in a group of 4 (with Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas) that the B1G would have interest in.

It doesn't seem likely though - ESPN has rights to UConn/Cincy/USF/UCF for a pittance. Reportedly B12 has been unable to get extra money for expansion because Fox is willing to pay up but ESPN isn't. Why should ESPN pay an extra $40 mn to lose half the rights to UConn/Cincy/USF/UCF and devalue the rest of its AAC deal? It seems more likely it would be a UConn all sports and BYU football only deal; maybe the state has put some pressure on ESPN.

This is a good explanation. No way in Hell Espin is going to pay 10 times more for properties they already own the rights to. They will simply advise The Big 12-2 that it is not in their financial best interest to expand.

pj

Reaction Score
This is a good explanation. No way in Hell Espin is going to pay 10 times more for properties they already own the rights to. They will simply advise The Big 12-2 that it is not in their financial best interest to expand.

If the B12 wants to go to 12 for a CCG but has been stymied by ESPN resistance, getting the state of Connecticut in its corner to pressure ESPN would be good strategy. No idea if this is legal, but if the state of Connecticut were able to cancel some of its many tax breaks for ESPN if they didn't support a UConn to B12 move, there would be some negotiating leverage there. ESPN could placate the state by getting us an invite to the ACC instead if they wanted to be sure to keep our rights.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, it is the B1G since we are now a perfect fit for it. .

While I would love to see UConn in the B1G (or ACC), I do not see/understand your point of this excerpted quote above, specifically the "now" caveat. Why "now"? *What* has changed -- and since *when* did that change occur? -- that now makes UConn a "perfect fit" for the B1G?

I think it would be great for UConn to be in the B1G, but, no, I do not see UConn as a "perfect fit" for the B1G. I see UConn as much more a "perfect fit" for the ACC, and I am disappointed ACC leadership has not seen things that way.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is quite versed in the concept of associating itself with a hierarchy. In fact, it benefits immensely from its association with said hierarchy. In fact, its identity is completely wrapped up in it even though it often fails to live up to its own ideals.

Louisiana also benefits from such hierarchical benefits laid out in the Constitution, but that's another story...

Well, I don't get the comparison between a religion and an association of schools for playing sports, but ok.

As far as Louisiana, I am not a native and have not been assimilated into its culture despite living here for 31 years.

I am still an unrepentant Yankee. Besides, I am in favor of abolishing all state governments, but that is a different discussion.....

Reaction Score
Again with The Rutgers digs? It's starting to get a bit creepy. We get it. Rutgers doesn't have a tradition of athletic success comparable to a school like ND. Who cares? Every fan base has a handful of teams on their schedule that they are less than excited to see come to town. Do you honestly think FSU, Clemson, or Miami Fans are pumped about the prospect of playing Syracuse, Wake Forest, or BC in football?

Last time I checked The Irish weren't in The B1G, so all of this is moot anyway. UM, MSU, and Purdue can now replace The Irish with another quality OOC opponnent should they desire to do so. Tradition goes both ways. If ND and it's administration no longer value these matchups, The B1G and its members will eventually feel the same way.

While ND is good for business for these B1g Schools, so are they in return when visiting South Bend. I can assure you that the Midwestern Irish Fans who actually attend Irish Home games in THE STATE OF INDIANA, will miss seeing these traditional Midwestern Matchups. UVA will resonate about as much as ODU will on their home schedule. TV will also be affected, as these games have traditionally drawn strong ratings.

Rutgers is admittedly a gamble. Delany is gambling that RU can elevate it's program by recieving an improved conference payout. I believe they can as well. I don't ever see them being a power, as there is too much competition for talent in the state of NJ. That said being decent in Football and Basketball is not out of the question. In the mean time the conference will benefit from increased exposure in the NYC Market, increased cable fees in NJ, and greater access to a valuable recruiting territory.

I attend a game in South Bend every other year. It would be more, but I am 1000 miles away in Baton Rouge.

This Irish fan will not miss any of the Big Ten games, at all. Tradition goes both ways, as you say. The Big Ten games can (and have) easily be replaced by games with FSU, Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech, Texas, etc...

P.S. I have never made any digs against Rutgers or any other school in any post/thread. I wish Rutgers well. UConn, too.

Reaction Score
If this passes, then what's the point of needing 12 teams in two divisions? Might as well just have a 10 team conference. BCU would probably get booted if there was contraction

Reaction Score

The Big 12 is also Iowa state,Kansas ,Kansas State,those schools don't have much in common with the Texas Or even Oklahoma schools.
For that matter BC and pick a southern ACC school.
Heck were talking South Carolina and Mass. A good portion of the formers states residents think the Pope is the Anti-Christ and Jesuits are hired assassins.
CR makes strange bedfellows.
Even the somewhat homogeneous conferences have exceptions,
Like Stamford,Northwestern,and Vanderbilt all privates in conferences dominated by publics.,but the ACC is by far the oddest collection of the P5
Oddest? Maybe so. It is easily the most diverse. And that means it is the conference most like the country and its time zone. Some schools are located in large cities and some are in small towns.

Of the 15, 6 are private. 2 of those are Catholic. 2 of those were founded as Methodist colleges and have become independent private schools, though the Duke Divinity school still has ties to the UMC. Wake Forest was founded as a Southern Baptist college, but now is independent. Miami was founded as an independent private university. The private colleges range in size from WFU (4800 undergrads) to Syracuse (15,000 undergrads).

Of the 9 state schools, FSU is the largest. It began as the Women's college of the University of Florida and thus in a sense is half of the 'flagship' state university in FL. Georgia Tech and Clemson, both of which are smaller state schools, are the only two non-flagship state universities in the country to be universally ranked higher academically than their states' flagships universities. Pitt, which like Virginia and North Carolina was on the original list of Public Ivys, was founded as a private school and today is like Penn St in that it is state-related as opposed to being a true state university. Virginia and North Carolina are the two most prestigious state universities in the south. Virginia Tech and North Carolina State are land grant and #2 state schools. Louisville began as a municipal university - I think it was the first city owned college in the country. For decades KY operated it as basically an open admission school for people living in or near the state's largest city. But the growth of the state, city, and university has meant much greater state funding. Louisville rather surprisingly has an academic endowment of about 1.2 billion dollars, which is larger than the University of Kentucky. That endowment and the ACC affiliations probably will mean that over time Louisville joins the club of Georgia Tech and Clemson.

Reaction Score
I attend a game in South Bend every other year. It would be more, but I am 1000 miles away in Baton Rouge.

This Irish fan will not miss any of the Big Ten games, at all. Tradition goes both ways, as you say. The Big Ten games can (and have) easily be replaced by games with FSU, Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech, Texas, etc...

P.S. I have never made any digs against Rutgers or any other school in any post/thread. I wish Rutgers well. UConn, too.

1) You may not care, but that doesn't mean all Irish Fans feel the same way. I suspect that many in your Midwestern Base, including those who make up the weekly attendence in South Bend, won't feel the same. These fans live and work in B1G Country and as such likely value playing and winning these games.

2) The comment about digs was directed at Stimpy, who I was responding to. He never seems to miss an opportunity to crap all over Rutgers in every thread.

Reaction Score
Well, I don't get the comparison between a religion and an association of schools for playing sports, but ok.

The religious association goes well beyond celebrating common faith; It has a huge impact on Notre Dame's bottom line in sports, which is an odd correlation when looking for a cause and effect rooted in faith.

So, I'm saying that Notre Dame does willingly participate in an association, and thus the vociferous bashing of conference affiliation is disingenuous.

Reaction Score

You need to read the entire thread. The whole debate was about some posters here insisting that the Irish are destined for the B1G and that the Midwest Schools gets a Buzz seeing the Irish. Despite denials by every Irish fan on here that they are ever going to be in the B1G, some posters here continue to insist that the Irish will be in the B1G and belong in the B1G and not the ACC. I was reaffirming as every Irish fan here has affirmed that the Irish are not going to the B1G and that those B1G schools need to get a Buzz seeing Rutgers, because is it Rutgers going to the B1G. No Irish. If you want to call that a Dig, go ahead. It is the B1G who in fact invited Rutgers. I do not share your optimism that some more TV money from the B1G will improve the competitive nature of these teams. I think it will just enable them to be more fat, dumb, and happy continuing to do as they have always done. But you may continue to. Maryland does have the better chance of the two because they have a winning tradition in former times in the men's sports. They do well in women's now.

As for the Irish fans caring about playing UVA in South Bend, I imagine zero would give a hoot at this point. UVA has never played a game in South Bend, and the only game against Notre Dame was 25 years ago. However, I liken it to the Miami fans when they joined the ACC. I lived in Miami Beach at that the time. No Miami fan cared at all about playing UVA. In fact, when I told them I was from UVA, they always asked if that was the same as Virginia Tech. Then UVA defeated the Hurricanes 48-0 in the Orange Bowl in 2007. It was the worst defeat of a Hurricanes' team in the history of the Orange Bowl on national television. Then all of a sudden, Miami fans started to pay attention to those games. I no longer had to explain who UVA is. UVA will have to earn any interest by the Irish fans. We know this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You need to read the entire thread. The whole debate was about some posters here insisting that the Irish are destined for the B1G and that the Midwest Schools gets a Buzz seeing the Irish. Despite denials by every Irish fan on here that they are ever going to be in the B1G, some posters here continue to insist that the Irish will be in the B1G and belong in the B1G and not the ACC. I was reaffirming as every Irish fan here has affirmed that the Irish are not going to the B1G and that those B1G schools need to get a Buzz seeing Rutgers, because is it Rutgers going to the B1G. No Irish. If you want to call that a Dig, go ahead. It is the B1G who in fact invited Rutgers. I do not share your optimism that some more TV money from the B1G will improve the competitive nature of these teams. I think it will just enable them to be more fat, dumb, and happy continuing to do as they have always done. But you may continue to. Maryland does have the better chance of the two because they have a winning tradition in former times in the men's sports. They do well in women's now.
I've been trying to figure out why so many UConn fans here, and maybe the Rutgers fans too, seem certain that before long we are going to be in the BeeOneGee. All I can come up with is that such a belief makes them feel better about their bitterness over not getting into the ACC - yet. If even mighty ND is going to be begging the BeeOneGee eventually, then UConn should do the same now.

It is also puzzling to me to see UConn fans so defensive of Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I've been trying to figure out why so many UConn fans here, and maybe the Rutgers fans too, seem certain that before long we are going to be in the BeeOneGee. All I can come up with is that such a belief makes them feel better about their bitterness over not getting into the ACC - yet. If even mighty ND is going to be begging the BeeOneGee eventually, then UConn should do the same now.

It is also puzzling to me to see UConn fans so defensive of Rutgers.
Ldandy is actually a Penn State person and not a UConn person. He defends Rutgers and likes the addition to the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
Ldandy is actually a Penn State person and not a UConn person. He defends Rutgers and likes the addition to the Big Ten.
Now that's funny. A Penn State fans who sees Rutgers as a great new best bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom