Longoria to Yanks | The Boneyard

Longoria to Yanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like the Rays chances to get to the promised land next year. If Long stays healthy they will be the team to beat in the AL east.

Reaction Score
I like the Rays chances to get to the promised land next year. If Long stays healthy they will be the team to beat in the AL east.

That's a first.........lol.........."if" that amazing young pitching staff actually becomes, well ummm.......amazing!!

Reaction Score
The pitching was great last year. The problem was defense and lack of hitting. Check the w-l with longo in the lineup. If only they could find a dh.....

Reaction Score

I hear they're bringing Manny back and he's going to hit .320.

Reaction Score
It's a great deal for both team and player. But Upton signed a contract that TB probably wouldn't have been able to match. See how many of TB's other young stars will be like Longoria, and how many will follow Upton out the door. Keeping a talented team together, as the players mature, is going to be tough. Price should set an arbitration record this winter.

Reaction Score
Never said that.

Your first baseman and catcher will probably have to hit better than a combined .180 batting average to make the playoffs this year.

Reaction Score
Your first baseman and catcher will probably have to hit better than a combined .180 batting average to make the playoffs this year.

How about Martin signing with the Pirates? I didn't see that coming.

Reaction Score

Hurts the Yanks despite a subpar year at the plate......he's a very good catcher, solid and hit very well the last third of the season......tough loss.

Reaction Score

Well, I mentioned above the financial difficulty in keeping a veteran team together. You actually could see it coming. Martin's people kept coming back to NY, but NY never made him an offer. I think Cashman wanted another one year deal, to give their young catchers a bit more time to mature, and felt he was overpriced at Pittsburgh's offer.

So maybe we'll see what Romine can do in 2013. He'll be Martin's equal defensively. And he's got to be able to bat .179 (Martin's average pre-All Star game). Some writer said if they signed Martin to a tw0-year deal, it would mean they didn't have confidence in Romine. Maybe this means the opposite. But it would be nice to still have Montero.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Most of us in Pittsburgh still think it's a prank. Now it's up to our Scrooge owner to give away the arb guys in order to pay for that contract.

There was a rumor Bucs would get Jaso from Seattle along with Smoak and a backend starter in return for Garrett Jones & Hanrahan, which probably would've made more sense as value of those two will never be higher than now.

Reaction Score
Take Napoli off the board for Yankee catcher: he's signing with the Red Sox. Three years for thirty nine million! It's almost obscene! If I'm Cashman I'd go with either Stewart or Cervelli, until Romine's up to snuff. I wouldn't pay $13 million a year for a power hitter who's a mediocre catcher/first baseman!

Reaction Score
A-Rod will miss the first half of 2013. He's having left hip surgery. Who replaces him? Chavez can't go every day, and Nunez can't field. Do they go after Scutaro who's the best infielder, but not a third basemen?

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...ees-likely-miss-first-half-2013-season-source

I think we'll see more of Nunez then we did last season. They love his bat, but they need to figure out if he'll ever be able to field at the MLB level. Jeter can't play SS forever and the Yanks need to know if they have their SS of the future in Nunez or not. A few month of regular play at 3rd might help.

Reaction Score
Nunez will get a shot, but it looks like the Yankees have interest in Stephen Drew. He's a left handed hitter, though, and the Yanks could use another righty!

Reaction Score
Nunez will get a shot, but it looks like the Yankees have interest in Stephen Drew. He's a left handed hitter, though, and the Yanks could use another righty!

Boras will fight to keep Drew from becoming a utility player, which is what he'd be with NY. Way too much of a salary hit. Can't see this team going with both Romine and Nunez.

Not sure what to think about ARod. OK, so there was something wrong at the end of the year. But a second bad hip and five more years?!?!?

Reaction Score
Boras will fight to keep Drew from becoming a utility player, which is what he'd be with NY. Way too much of a salary hit. Can't see this team going with both Romine and Nunez.

Not sure what to think about ARod. OK, so there was something wrong at the end of the year. But a second bad hip and five more years?!?!?

You're right. No one is going to want to be a utility infielder, so the Yankees may be stuck with Nix and Nunez (not that they're bad, just not what the Yanks are used to in the infield). I think that Stewart and Cervelli will share catching duties and that Romine stays in triple "A" until they think he's ready, or one of them gets hurt. The reason that I feel this way is that they didn't protect Whiteside from waivers, and had no interest in the two top free agents. Plus Romine needs more experience at the minor level. All in all, it's a waiting game until Gary Sanchez makes his major league debut behind home plate!
ARod may have to become the DH, and not risk playing third with two injuries. Everyone knows in hindsight that the 10 year deal stunk, but I can't remember anyone deteriorating this quickly!

Reaction Score
Girardi is saying now that he doesn't see ARod playing any third base this year, which means that the Yankees probably will offer Chavez. It could be a combo of Chavez and Nunez. Chavez can also play some first (he was decent last year in a limited role), and he still has pop.(On another note adding Youkilis! has been pondered.)
I know that pundits keep talking about trading Granderson, and it might happen, but what do the Yankees do about re-capturing his 43 homers? With Swisher gone, Martin gone, and ARod on the DL, the Yankees will certainly be missing some pop! There's talk about getting Shierholtz and Scott Hariston for right field but that isn't going to help. Are the Yankees going small ball this year?

Reaction Score
Girardi is saying now that he doesn't see ARod playing any third base this year, which means that the Yankees probably will offer Chavez. It could be a combo of Chavez and Nunez. Chavez can also play some first (he was decent last year in a limited role), and he still has pop.(On another note adding Youkilis! has been pondered.)
I know that pundits keep talking about trading Granderson, and it might happen, but what do the Yankees do about re-capturing his 43 homers? With Swisher gone, Martin gone, and ARod on the DL, the Yankees will certainly be missing some pop! There's talk about getting Shierholtz and Scott Hariston for right field but that isn't going to help. Are the Yankees going small ball this year?

Clueless Joe doesn't know what "small ball" is or means. I'm still hoping that someday he'll figure out that, with the overshift on Texiera, a bunt down the third base lane is sure to be an infield single.

Reaction Score
Well Chavez and Keppinger are gone, so the Yankees are now into plan "C", which means going with Nunez? I don't have a clue what they're trying to do. The Yankees couldn't "afford" $3 Million for Eric! Really? This is comical. They've pretty much acknowledged that ARod won't be playing third this year, so why not try to get someone in to play 162 games?

Reaction Score
Well Chavez and Keppinger are gone, so the Yankees are now into plan "C", which means going with Nunez? I don't have a clue what they're trying to do. The Yankees couldn't "afford" $3 Million for Eric! Really? This is comical. They've pretty much acknowledged that ARod won't be playing third this year, so why not try to get someone in to play 162 games?

Sorry to see Chavez leave as I've always liked him as a player back to his days in Oakland. Always nice to be able to bring a guy with multiple gold gloves off the bench as a replacement. But I read that he lives in the Phoenix area, so it might not have been a matter of money that led him to sign with the Diamondbacks. The key with Chavez is how well his body will hold up. I would have thought that staying in the AL with the opportunity to occasional DH would have been appealing, but I guess the call of home was more powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom