little detail on RP | The Boneyard

little detail on RP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
said on twitter that he will wear num 5. so anyone who hates the fact that his jersey was 0 last year should not be disappointed. ok...... you can now carry on with your day

Reaction Score
Good thing UConn doesn't retire numbers.

#Giffeyforhuskiesofhonor

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mike McKay
Which brings me to a reoccurring question of mine.

How good would Corny Thompson and Mike McKay have been if Jim Calhoun had been their coach? I have to think Jim could have done some serious post-season damage with that team.

Reaction Score

How good would Corny Thompson and Mike McKay have been if Jim Calhoun had been their coach? I have to think Jim could have done some serious post-season damage with that team.
Don't know if Corny would have been much better but JC would have really helped McKay and JC may have been able to get Alexsinas's head out of his butt. The problem would have been at PG. Hobbs was horrible. At 5'7" he played with his back to the basket and lacked quickness for a guy his size. Giscomb and Perno didn't get along and maybe Vernon would have emerged under JC.

Reaction Score
Corney got worse every year under Perno. I don't think that would happen under J.C.

CL82

Reaction Score
Don't know if Corny would have been much better but JC would have really helped McKay and JC may have been able to get Alexsinas's head out of his butt. The problem would have been at PG. Hobbs was horrible. At 5'7" he played with his back to the basket and lacked quickness for a guy his size. Giscomb and Perno didn't get along and maybe Vernon would have emerged under JC.
Giscomb had some serious speed but he did make bad decisions. Could be that those would have gone away with more playing time though. Hobbsy had his limitations but I think he made better decisions for the most part. I knew Vern and liked him but in retrospect, I understand why Perno preferred Hobbs.

Man when Alexsinas transferred I thought that we'd make a deep, deep post-season run after he sat out a year. He was a great guy, by the way. Not sure why he didn't produce better. Physically he was a beast.

Reaction Score
Giscomb had some serious speed but he did make bad decisions. Could be that those would have gone away with more playing time though. Hobbsy had his limitations but I think he made better decisions for the most part. I knew Vern and liked him but in retrospect, I understand why Perno preferred Hobbs.

Man when Alexsinas transferred I thought that we'd make a deep, deep post-season run after he sat out a year. He was a great guy, by the way. Not sure why he didn't produce better. Physically he was a beast.
Got to know Giscomb when he was with the Hartford Civic Center. He said basically Corny ran the team and Perno was a negative coach always concerned that the opposing team had more talent. I asked why Corny usually had better second halves and he said that Corny knew that if he didn't get Alexsinas some points early that he would sulk and disappear. Giscomb never got major minutes because of his poor relationship with Perno even though O'Brian pushed for it. He had the speed and shot to be a good PG but we will never know.He also said that he would have loved to have played for JC because JC expects his teams to win unlike Perno who tried to keep from losing.
On another note Giscomb said that McKay was the most deadly shooter he had played with or against and that includes a lot of great shooters from the NYC playgrounds.
Hobbs cry to fame was that he was the PG on Patrick Ewing's HS team and he was not highly recruited. It would drive me crazy to watch dribble to the top of the key then turn his back from pressure.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Corney got worse every year under Perno. I don't think that would happen under J.C.

As seeing Corny though high school and into college. I think no I know he would have done much better under Calhoun than under Perno. Dom Perno is a very nice man who should never have been the head coach at UCONN.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

One major issue was that Corny & Aleksinas couldn't co-exist (at least in Perno's limited vision of basketball offense) and to compound the issue, Dom decided to spend a lot of time going very big (Alexinas, Corny, McKay, Bailey and one of the midget pg's).

One thing that absolutely would have happened under JC is that all of Corny, McKay, Aleksinas and bailey would have been anywhere from ten (Bailey) to twenty five (Corny, McKay) lbs lighter during the season.

Under JC I image that Giscombe would have been exclusively a two but as a second ball handler on the court.

We could have done quite a bit more than we did with that squad but that is all water under the bridge.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As seeing Corny though high school and into college. I think no I know he would have done much better under Calhoun than under Perno. Dom Perno is a very nice man who should never have been the head coach at UCONN.

While it may seem like a bold statement today (as opposed to the accepted belief thirty years ago) Corny may have had as much talent as anyone who ever wore a UConn uniform.

Reaction Score
said on twitter that he will wear num 5. so anyone who hates the fact that his jersey was 0 last year should not be disappointed. ok...... you can now carry on with your day
Thanks

Reaction Score
While it may seem like a bold statement today (as opposed to the accepted belief thirty years ago) Corny may have had as much talent as anyone who ever wore a UConn uniform.
I tend to agree with you. As I recall Corney, was ranked in the top ten of players in high school when he came to Uconn. After a great freshman year, I was looking forward to what he would do later but he never developed. Middletown has produced some great players.

CL82

Reaction Score
Under JC I image that Giscombe would have been exclusively a two but as a second ball handler on the court.
Agree.

Reaction Score

Giscombe, Hobbs, Aleksinas, Stormin Norman...

They had talent.

When you go back and look at their actual records, they were also at the top of the BE early on. UConn is often called a joke pre-Calhoun. Well, during the first 4 years, they were in the top half of the league. They cratered during the Earl Kelley years. That was bad. But UConn in the BE during the first 10 years was not nearly as bad as most people remember. In fact, those teams were pretty good.

Reaction Score
As for the downing of Hobbs, sounds a little like Taliek syndrome to me.

Remember how Hobbs starred in that big win over Ewing's G'town at GT? I know that was his finest moment but he was spectacular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom