Lion after Boneyarder near LA | The Boneyard

Lion after Boneyarder near LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
newer-mtnlion-092915.jpg
The lion was quoted as saying "I'm coming for jleves." Photo of lion on top of 35 foot pole in Hesperia, CA.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Same here, but I'm now in Diamond Bar. And lots of Coyotes...
My back yard attaches to The Angeles National Forest (basically the San Gabriels). Along with bobcats, we get deer, coyotes aplenty and all kinds of wildlife. I haven't seen a bear yet which is surprising. And occasionally we get these in our back yard (previously posted):

Snake1.jpg

Reaction Score
I think rattlers can be aged by their rattle segments so this one is 7 years old.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I think rattlers can be aged by their rattle segments so this one is 7 years old.
Apparently not. They can shed more than one time per year which is more likely early in life. And older ones might not shed every year. Plus the rattles can break off. So you can't age a rattler by it's rattle segments. This one could be 5 or could be 10 years old. Someone who saw the pictures suggested that this one was likely a 'pet' because of the girth and health and got too big for the owner to deal with and was set free. WTF has something like this as a pet. Anyhow, it was big and scary and I don't like them in my yard.

Reaction Score
How big is that guy? Snakes are my favorite animal but I don't think I'd want to see a live venomous one in my backyard!

Also do you know what species of rattler it is? It's got the diamond back pattern but could also be a southern pacific.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
How big is that guy? Snakes are my favorite animal but I don't think I'd want to see a live venomous one in my backyard!

Also do you know what species of rattler it is? It's got the diamond back pattern but could also be a southern pacific.
I've been hoping someone could identify what type of rattlesnake it is and so far nobody has. I don't think it's a diamond back. Perhaps this picture can help you identify it for me:

snake2.jpg

Reaction Score
Judging from the back pattern I'd say Southern Pacific after looking at some picture on Google Images. Could also be a Mojave rattlesnake, but I don't know if they trek to the other side of the San Gabriel's.

Reaction Score
I've seen rattle snakes on hikes in the local hills, and one on our college campus, but never in the yard.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

This is a trick I pull out to impress women (read: my wife) all the time.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I've seen rattlesnakes, coyotes, and bobcats in CT. No bears though. We reportedly had a bear in my neighborhood in PA, but it hasn't been seen lately. They're just not quite as out there in CT. :D

Reaction Score
I've seen rattlesnakes, coyotes, and bobcats in CT. No bears though. We reportedly had a bear in my neighborhood in PA, but it hasn't been seen lately. They're just not quite as out there in CT. :D
That's interesting because there have been multiple bear sightings in Norwalk of all places over the past decade. We also have a handful of coyotes; I personally saw one in my backyard when I was about 12.

Reaction Score
I've been hoping someone could identify what type of rattlesnake it is and so far nobody has. I don't think it's a diamond back. Perhaps this picture can help you identify it for me:

Yeah. It's the "Go Pick Your Own Tomatoes" rattlesnake

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Judging from the back pattern I'd say Southern Pacific after looking at some picture on Google Images. Could also be a Mojave rattlesnake, but I don't know if they trek to the other side of the San Gabriel's.
After some research based on your lead, I would have to say almost definitely a Southern Pacific and apparently quite deadly if not treated quickly. Thanks for looking and finding the information.

Now I'm sitting here all freaked out after looking at pictures and reading about them.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
After some research based on your lead, I would have to say almost definitely a Southern Pacific and apparently quite deadly if not treated quickly. Thanks for looking and finding the information.

Now I'm sitting here all freaked out after looking at pictures and reading about them.
By starting this thread, I have saved your life twice (from lion and now you know you have deadly snake stalking you). All in a days work.

Reaction Score
My back yard attaches to The Angeles National Forest (basically the San Gabriels). Along with bobcats, we get deer, coyotes aplenty and all kinds of wildlife. I haven't seen a bear yet which is surprising. And occasionally we get these in our back yard (previously posted):

View attachment 10699

You are a brave man. My house would have been on the market by the next morning...equity be damned.

Reaction Score

Happy to help! Snakes don't deserve the bad rep they have. But all rattlers are highly venomous; a handful of people die every year from bites. That's why they have the warning rattles. And rattlers in general aren't overly aggressive unless you meet a pregnant female (rattlesnakes are one of the only venomous breeds that give birth to live young)

Reaction Score
I was in a Boston whaler on Twin Lakes Salisbury many years ago when my friend spotted a timber rattler swimming, he took his fishing net and brought the snake into the boat to my displeasure. There was a bear in my folks garage in Northwest CT. but the coolest animal I've ever seen in CT. was a mountain lion. It was hit by a car, lay stunned in the road for a couple seconds then sprung up and ran into the woods, yes they do exist in Connecticut.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

Not out there? Just a few weeks back, you couldn't get away from the news accounts of the bear that "aggressively approached" a hiker up Barkhamsted way. Admittedly, I do a lot of pre-dawn and early AM driving in the less populated Northwestern region of the state, but I've seen 8 or 10 bears in the last half-dozen years or so. Or maybe it's one bear 8 or 10 times. Most likely somewhere in between. And three of those sightings have been in much more heavily populated areas of Shelton and Oxford, so they're not all out in the boonies of Sharon and Cornwall.

The DEEP's best estimates of the current population range from 700 to 1000 bears in CT.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I was in a Boston whaler on Twin Lakes Salisbury many years ago when my friend spotted a timber rattler swimming, he took his fishing net and brought the snake into the boat to my displeasure. There was a bear in my folks garage in Northwest CT. but the coolest animal I've ever seen in CT. was a mountain lion. It was hit by a car, lay stunned in the road for a couple seconds then sprung up and ran into the woods, yes they do exist in Connecticut.

Adult-bobcat.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg