(Link) Bazz Napier in Boston Globe (50/50 on decision) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

(Link) Bazz Napier in Boston Globe (50/50 on decision)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
you guys are getting way too caught up in the whole weak draft narrative. Its a weak draft because the top of the lottery is weak compared to who will be in the lottery in '14. that really has no impact on borderline guys like Bazz who is not a guarantee to be drafted. Jonathan Givony(who is way more clued in than Ford) was talking about this the other day, a whole bunch of guys are going to declare based on outside people playing up the weak draft angle and find themselves undrafted.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
He needs to listen to the 50% that's telling him to stay. A degree will pay dividends for his whole life, basketball is no sure thing. I've never said that previous players should stay when they were sure 1st round picks, but Shabazz really should stay for multiple reasons.

Reaction Score
Sure. There is no such thing as a guarantee though.
There sorta is. I think all of the Uconn players who left for the NBA early in the past (save for KEA) were pretty much guaranteed of being a first round pick. So they either got really really good advice from JC or they were really lucky.

Reaction Score
There are several key reasons why Bazz should stay---draft status, especially, and his interest in getting a degree. Passing discussions with his Mom also left me with a good feeling about his coming back.

For me, I think he should look at next year as a chance to have a Kemba-like year. This will be his team and he can lead it like Kemba did with a chance to go a long way. Hang in there Shabazz.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Are you hearing anything in regards to Boatright/Daniels?
Boatright- isnt a pg now and may never be-he's too into himself
Daniels- 5 games doesnt make a star but he has a huge upside if he works hard and plays hard

Reaction Score
I think it's so silly for him to go this year. How you play in the conference and NCAA tournaments can make you a lottery pick. Not only did Shabazz fall off the radar with UConn being banned but he missed the last 3-4 games of the season. He has no hype or buzz around him now. You come back and have a great senior season and lead your team on deep tournament runs your a lottery pick next year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There sorta is. I think all of the Uconn players who left for the NBA early in the past (save for KEA) were pretty much guaranteed of being a first round pick. So they either got really really good advice from JC or they were really lucky.

There is a difference between being told you are in the lottery and being somewhere in the 20s. Nobody can guarantee you go in the 20s because nobody can predict how the draft will play out late first round.

If teams in the mid teens are telling you to come out maybe. If you are taking a chance from 22-32 - you are at the mercy of luck.

Reaction Score
Hype and buzz really don't matter for the draft. Maybe it helped Tate George get in back in the day, but in today's day and age, NBA scouts pore over film, watch dozens of games in person, and analyze sophisticated statistical data. They aren't watching SportsCenter for prospects.

What can help is a "big game reputation" to a degree if you rise to the occasion in March. But even that isn't necessary. Robert Horry didn't win squat at Alabama, Ed O'Bannon, Miles Simon and Mateen Cleaves were MVPs.

Reaction Score
There is a difference between being told you are in the lottery and being somewhere in the 20s. Nobody can guarantee you go in the 20s because nobody can predict how the draft will play out late first round.

If teams in the mid teens are telling you to come out maybe. If you are taking a chance from 22-32 - you are at the mercy of luck.

Teams can and will make guarantees to guys, usually if they're projected to go in the late part of the first round. Reggie Jackson of BC was given a guarantee by the Thunder a couple years ago that he would be picked if he was still available, and they ended up picking him.

Of course a team could not honor the guarantee, but if you have a good agent that isn't a problem.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Teams can and will make guarantees to guys, usually if they're projected to go in the late part of the first round. Reggie Jackson of BC was given a guarantee by the Thunder a couple years ago that he would be picked if he was still available, and they ended up picking him.

Of course a team could not honor the guarantee, but if you have a good agent that isn't a problem.

Yeah a guarantee they will pick him if someone they like better doesn't fall to them. It's a guarantee when they announce your name - until then it's just talk.

Reaction Score
Yeah a guarantee they will pick him if someone they like better doesn't fall to them. It's a guarantee when they announce your name - until then it's just talk.

Not really. The player is shut down and doesn't work out for any other teams. They have to really like the kid, but like I said, if the agent carries any weight at all around the league it works out.

Dion Waiters was guaranteed to get picked last year by the Suns, so he didn't work out for anyone, but then the Cavs decided to pick him.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not really. The player is shut down and doesn't work out for any other teams. They have to really like the kid, but like I said, if the agent carries any weight at all around the league it works out.

Dion Waiters was guaranteed to get picked last year by the Suns, so he didn't work out for anyone, but then the Cavs decided to pick him.

LOL a player who went fourth. Yes,
guys in the lottery work differently.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree with you on Boat, but keep in mind Bazz played with a bad foot most of his Soph season (that required surgery). Hopefully he's better now because that is a very serious injury that i'm familiar with.
Good point about Bazz's foot. I still think that his decision making has gotten much better.

Reaction Score
The problem is the weakness of the 2013 draft. So even if he improved his stock he might not improve his draft position because of the competition. If they tell him he's a first round pick he's got an awfully difficult decision because passing up the guaranteed contract is a pretty big risk.

The "weakness of the draft" we hear every year. Wasn't this year's draft supposed to be so strong, that it made even more sense for JL to leave last year?
Now this year's draft is weak? I suppose next year's draft will be weak as well?

No disrespect to you, whaler, but it seems that at this time of year we hear, "This year's draft is weak, but next year will be strong. Therefore so and so should go pro this year."

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
About 6 stars are going to be born in the next 2 weeks. Guys that were on a list somewhere but suddenly jump off the page because of some clutch shot they hit in front of the whole world while Bazz is watching the games on TV. I recall one tall point guard that was slow and didn't have much of a handle that hit a buzzer beating, game winner off a length of the court pass and got picked in the first round as a result.

The draft looks weak right now, but in 2 weeks it will be pretty deep.

Reaction Score
Bazz had a great season, both statistically and as a leader. One more year under KO can only help in terms of NBA readiness, plus Bazz will get to showcase his talents on the big stage.

We will also be much better on the boards next season with Facey and Brimah joining Nolan up front. That should lead to many more fast break opportunities, where Bazz, Boat and Daniels can shine.

Reaction Score
About 6 stars are going to be born in the next 2 weeks. Guys that were on a list somewhere but suddenly jump off the page because of some clutch shot they hit in front of the whole world while Bazz is watching the games on TV. I recall one tall point guard that was slow and didn't have much of a handle that hit a buzzer beating, game winner off a length of the court pass and got picked in the first round as a result.

The draft looks weak right now, but in 2 weeks it will be pretty deep.
Great point, these next few weeks will be the closest to NBA stimulation that the players and scouts have known. Stars will be born and conversely draftees will lose money. Kemba is a great example. Eric Maynor is another. Of course its no indication of NBA success but surely it benefits draft position. So not playing doesn't help, and Bazz could get passed by some headline grabbing tourney player(s).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The "weakness of the draft" we hear every year. Wasn't this year's draft supposed to be so strong, that it made even more sense for JL to leave last year?
Now this year's draft is weak? I suppose next year's draft will be weak as well?

No disrespect to you, whaler, but it seems that at this time of year we hear, "This year's draft is weak, but next year will be strong. Therefore so and so should go pro this year."

I'm no NBA draft guru and don't have any strong opinions on anything NBA related but this looks like an especially putrid draft. I don't know what people projected for it last year.

Reaction Score
I'm no NBA draft guru and don't have any strong opinions on anything NBA related but this looks like an especially putrid draft. I don't know what people projected for it last year.

Agree. It just seems every year we hear these projections. "Next year's draft will be stronger, deeper. So and so should go now."

Hopefully the players don't listen to that garbage.

Reaction Score
I think he needs to stay regardless of the presumed softness in the
draft this year. He needs to build, what they call today, a brand.
How many times are you going to hear Napier's name during the
tournament this year. Zero. Right now he has no buzz. You won't hear his name until after it's
over and they start talking about contending teams for next year.
It will be, UConn will be strong, especially if Napier comes back
He needs to slash and burn thru next year's schedule and tournament.
I think that is his best chance.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I hope JC and/or KO find out he is a definite first rounder and SN goes pro next season. The way the kid performed this season he deserves it. Every UConn fan should be rooting for this if they are fans of the kids and the team and not about themselves.

Reaction Score
I hope JC and/or KO find out he is a definite first rounder and SN goes pro next season. The way the kid performed this season he deserves it. Every UConn fan should be rooting for this if they are fans of the kids and the team and not about themselves.

There's enough evidence to suggest that there is virtually no chance of him being a definite 1st round pick. Those of us hoping he comes back are working off of this assumption.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There's enough evidence to suggest that there is virtually no chance of him being a definite 1st round pick. Those of us hoping he comes back are working off of this assumption.
Then nothing needs to be said if there is no chance. And all the more reason people could be hoping things go differently for Shabazz.

There was no chance UConn was going to beat Cuse this season or MSU. But people were rooting for it to happen. People weren't rooting against the team. And anyone who did (freescooter) was marginalized. But here is a possibility for one of our own to get to the prize. We should hope he gets to the NBA even if the odds are a long shot! It doesn't hurt anybody to advocate he makes it. That's not saying he's going to foolishly declare without credible advice. He's going listen to JC and KO and not some handlers. So root for the kid knowing he will make the right choice of coming back to UConn if he's not guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom