Linebacker Play | The Boneyard

Linebacker Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not where it needs to be in the 3-4. As hire and Vann will be fine. They need to be more consistent, but they had some good plays. Graham Stewart played extremely poor.

I thought the d line played well. They held their responsibilities.

Reaction Score
huskymedic said:
Stewart had 11 tackles, a tackle for a loss and a forced fumble... Kinda tough to put that into a "played extremely poor" bucket.

D-line had no push into backfield all night?

Extremely was strong. He was getting chewed out by Coach D several times in first half. Maybe he was telling him how great he was doing? Honest question.

D lines job is to hold their spot and let linebackers clean up in the 3-4. Yes, I think they did that well.

Haven't rewatched game yet. Just going on what I saw last night. Maybe my views will change.

Reaction Score
Graham played poor in pass coverage, and I believe that's the reason he was getting chewed up by Diaco on the sideline. Too many missed assignments in passing plays, which I think a lot of us new coming into the game. Stewart needed to work on his cover game. 11 tackles, 1 tackle for loss, and 1 forced fumble doesn't scream "extremely poor game" to me though. He had a great game with some things he needs to work on.

Now on your D-line comment I have to kindly disagree with you and agree with "huskymedic" there was no push all game, nor pressure. We made a running QB look like Peyton Manning. He had ALL day to throw and with that he had plenty of time to find an open receiver or tuck the ball and run. This can also be the reason why the DB's and LB's looked so bad in pass coverage too.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Our front 7 is definitely the area on the team that needs to improve but I'm not going to beat them up too hard because BYU's offense is damn good. It looked like our DL was playing contain on most downs but weren't set up wide enough to flush Hill inside. He was escaping the pocket when protection broke down far too easily for our LBs to catch him. It seemed like every time we brought extra pressure, the contain wasn't in proper gap control and Hill found an escape route far too easily. Then, once he gets out into the open field he has a second option of tuck and run or dump off to a nearby receiver. Once Hill got out into the open, he read the defenders perfectly and knew when to dump it off to a receiver or tuck and run. VERY difficult to defend on all levels.

Reaction Score
Stewart had 11 tackles, a tackle for a loss and a forced fumble... Kinda tough to put that into a "played extremely poor" bucket.

I'm curious to know. Where did you get Stewarts defensive stats medic?

Reaction Score
Stewart got chewed out on the second TD because the seam route was his responsibility , but all 4 backers got sucked in on the play. Other than the one blown coverage he didn't play any better or worse than the other guys.

Reaction Score

Take a look at the replay of BYU's 3rd TD...... He had NO idea where the ball was as the rb blew around him! Again, only one play but it was a pretty big one. He looked silly!

Reaction Score
Take a look at the replay of BYU's 3rd TD. He had NO idea where the ball was as the rb blew around him! Again, only one play but it was a pretty big one. He looked silly!

Point - but no where did I say he didn't make mistakes... Just that he didnt play extremely poorly in my mind.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Our front 7 is definitely the area on the team that needs to improve but I'm not going to beat them up too hard because BYU's offense is damn good. It looked like our DL was playing contain on most downs but weren't set up wide enough to flush Hill inside. He was escaping the pocket when protection broke down far too easily for our LBs to catch him. It seemed like every time we brought extra pressure, the contain wasn't in proper gap control and Hill found an escape route far too easily. Then, once he gets out into the open field he has a second option of tuck and run or dump off to a nearby receiver. Once Hill got out into the open, he read the defenders perfectly and knew when to dump it off to a receiver or tuck and run. VERY difficult to defend on all levels.
Could not have said it better myself

Reaction Score
It was the first live game action for a relatively young and in experienced group of players in a brand new system. BYU has a very good offense, especially at QB position and some BIG Wr's. The first game jitters definitely showed. This team will be fine in due time I believe.

Reaction Score
It was the first live game action for a relatively young and in experienced group of players in a brand new system. BYU has a very good offense, especially at QB position and some BIG Wr's. The first game jitters definitely showed. This team will be fine in due time I believe.

Totally agree with this. Too many experts here on the Boneyard who really should stick more to advice and insight about tailgaiting. We're all disappointed but maybe our hopes were a little too high. No question this quarterback kicked our ass. And we should dump the two quarterback platooning. It doesn't work.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Totally agree with this. Too many experts here on the Boneyard who really should stick more to advice and insight about tailgaiting. We're all disappointed but maybe our hopes were a little too high. No question this quarterback kicked our ass. And we should dump the two quarterback platooning. It doesn't work.
Agree... Reading the site and not yet done, but I have yet to see anyone mento their offensive line mentioned as 15 in the country. We may be average, but if they are big and experienced we may have done relatively well.

I still see a loss, but see so many area where growth has started....

Reaction Score
Graham played poor in pass coverage, and I believe that's the reason he was getting chewed up by Diaco on the sideline. Too many missed assignments in passing plays, which I think a lot of us new coming into the game. Stewart needed to work on his cover game. 11 tackles, 1 tackle for loss, and 1 forced fumble doesn't scream "extremely poor game" to me though. He had a great game with some things he needs to work on.

Now on your D-line comment I have to kindly disagree with you and agree with "huskymedic" there was no push all game, nor pressure. We made a running QB look like Peyton Manning. He had ALL day to throw and with that he had plenty of time to find an open receiver or tuck the ball and run. This can also be the reason why the DB's and LB's looked so bad in pass coverage too.

Whole heartedly agree. Absolutely no push on D line but BYU's Massive and experienced O-Line had something to do with it! That's the kind of line we want.

Reaction Score
Whole heartedly agree. Absolutely no push on D line but BYU's Massive and experienced O-Line had something to do with it! That's the kind of line we want.

We will get it. You said it yourself, EXPERIENCE, something alot of this team doesnt/hadn't had before Friday night. Relax peeps. Diaco is giving these kids experience will be huge dividends for the entire program in the future. Believe in the process and believe in the program. Three losing seasons and people treat the program like they have been at the bottom of the pack for the past decade.

Reaction Score
The way I look at it, Diaco gave these kids a taste, especially the true freshman, of what its like to play on the big stage of college football. It's not high school friday night lights football anymore. These kids got their feet wet and I bet you they want it, and they want to win more than ever now. I feel this will push these kids harder everyday in practice. Diaco and staff can't work a miracle overnight. These young kids will get their feet underneath them soon and they will be in every game from here on out.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I saw push on a lot of the pass plays - at least getting off the line; Hill was so good with his feet and his pocket awareness, he changed the angles with every step. Kid played really well.

Reaction Score
Over time I feel that the Linebackers will be a strength of the team. Once the experienced guys get acclimated to new system and the redshirt freshmen on unit get more game experience as they look the part and coaching up linebackers is something Draco is good at.

Reaction Score
What kind of cover defense was Diaco playing, in general? I realize it was a 3-4, with the DL playing a lot of contain. The LBers mixed it up between contain/spy/covering a TE/RB. But coverage-wise it looked like he was switching it around a lot. At times it looked like man-to-man where'd we get beat on unfavorable 1-on-1 matchups. Some times we were playing a zone but the offense would overload an area where two LBers can't cover 3 WRs so one would be open, often in the middle of the field. So I couldn't tell if we were spoze to be in a certain defense and our guys were messed up on coverage, or if it was that way by design and the offense just found the weakness. At times we looked overmatched physically (acceptable, but hopefully a better scheme can help overcome physical weakness), while other times we looked like we had mental lapses (coaches fault or players? I dunno.). What was Diaco trying to do, what was the strategy? If we played them again, this weekend, what would/should have been different on defense from a scheme standpoint? The 2nd half we played a little better defensively, what was the change?

Reaction Score
My hope is that Hill is such a stud that most folks can't contain him and that we were struggling with contain assignments on top of learning a new system. These guys have to step up in order to have any chance at 6 wins this season and one or two have to really excel.

Reaction Score
In a 3-4, linebackers are going to have lots of tackles, so I wouldn't read too much into the 11 each number. I thought they looked out of position quite a lot. I've never been sold on Stewart. I think he is an ok run defender but not so much of a pass defender. He had that problem last year and I thought he was weak again Friday. Wouldn't be shocked to see him end up as the running down guy who gets replaced in passing situations later in the season.

Reaction Score
In a 3-4, linebackers are going to have lots of tackles, so I wouldn't read too much into the 11 each number. I thought they looked out of position quite a lot. I've never been sold on Stewart. I think he is an ok run defender but not so much of a pass defender. He had that problem last year and I thought he was weak again Friday. Wouldn't be shocked to see him end up as the running down guy who gets replaced in passing situations later in the season.

Yup..... My thoughts exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger