Lindsey Hunter named Suns coach, he killed us | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lindsey Hunter named Suns coach, he killed us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We lost to Providence in '93 and '94, but you're probably talking about '94.

Rob Phelps didn't score a ton of points, but he pulled about ten shots completely out of his ass.

UConn had been down double-digits and looked like they were going to blow by PC and Phelps hit about four shots that had no business going in and they held on. (Additional note - Ollie was one of the guys guarding him.)

Reaction Score
I remember Eric Murdock having great games against Uconn too. I also remember hearing he had something going with one of the Uconn cheerleaders at the time.

Reaction Score
We lost to them in 94 with Dickey Simpkins, but I'm not sure if he was the guy who was unconscious that day.

There was also Darryl Wilson of Mississippi State. Frickin couldn't miss until we switched Ray on him and Ray shut him down (yes, Ray shut someone down). Wilson and Erick Dampier were the two players on that team who didn't end up in prison.

Wasn't Don'tae (sp) Jones one of the guys on that team who hurt us as well?

Reaction Score

Rob Phelps didn't score a ton of points, but he pulled about ten shots completely out of his ass.

UConn had been down double-digits and looked like they were going to blow by PC and Phelps hit about four shots that had no business going in and they held on. (Additional note - Ollie was one of the guys guarding him.)

They also had Michael Smith who was a solid, bruising big, with a great rebounding game.

Reaction Score
Yep, it was at Gampel.

Scottie Reynolds also killed us at Gampel - he had 40 points against us in 2007-ish.

That game was frustrating - Reynolds went off, but if UConn doesn't miss 20 free throws, we win in a laugher instead of dropping a close game.

That was his frosh year, iirc. Another great frosh performance was Victor Paige.

Reaction Score
Elijah Allen, FDU.

14-17 FG, 6-7 3FG, 9-11 FT, 8 RBS, 43 points.

He tortured UConn.

That is the most insane line I have ever seen against a major program. I forgot how unconscious the dude was against us.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Holy crap i forgot about Shumpert. If memory serves, he wanted to come here but we took someone else who ended up transferring shortly thereafter..

It was a combination of things.

We signed Beau Archibald which filled our limit of scholarships, but more importantly, Shumpert was hoping Rip Hamilton was going to go pro as a soph.

Reaction Score

i think it was him. i remember vaguely whoever it was finished the game like 10/11. i think it was phelps. its not the worst we`ve ever been lit up but that really stuck with me. i do remember the lindsey hunter game thought. ouch!

Reaction Score
Wasn't Don'tae (sp) Jones one of the guys on that team who hurt us as well?

He was one of them. Ray started on him and Wilson went off for maybe six first half threes (Rudy couldn't keep up with him on the perimeter). At the half they changed it up, and Jones had a little bit of success to keep us at bay (we also got killed inside by their bigs, led by Dampier, so we couldn't control tempo).

Mix in a bad shooting second half for Ray, an injured Ricky who might have gotten us running and solved our defensive matchup problems, and a couple big shots from Bullard on his way to the state pen.

Reaction Score
He was one of them. Ray started on him and Wilson went off for maybe six first half threes (Rudy couldn't keep up with him on the perimeter). At the half they changed it up, and Jones had a little bit of success to keep us at bay (we also got killed inside by their bigs, led by Dampier, so we couldn't control tempo).

Mix in a bad shooting second half for Ray, an injured Ricky who might have gotten us running and solved our defensive matchup problems, and a couple big shots from Bullard on his way to the state pen.

Yeah, an extremely painful memory. As far as jail birds go, what happened with this group?

Reaction Score
Yeah, an extremely painful memory. As far as jail birds go, what happened with this group?

Bullard was sentenced to five years in prison. Jones had a cup of coffee in the NBA and was arrested in a shooting, although I don't think he actually served time, and eventually became a rapper (named "Mr. 615"). Dampier had a long NBA career as a guy who consistently brought six available fouls every night. Wilson, a way undersized 2G, went overseas and probably never hit a shot again in his life.

Reaction Score
Bullard was sentenced to five years in prison. Jones had a cup of coffee in the NBA and was arrested in a shooting, although I don't think he actually served time, and eventually became a rapper (named "Mr. 615"). Dampier had a long NBA career as a guy who consistently brought six available fouls every night. Wilson, a way undersized 2G, went overseas and probably never hit a shot again in his life.

Knew about Dampier, but not the others. Knew Jones had his cup 'o tea, but did not know about the allegations. Sucks that they had multiple guys who were on the wrong side of the law.

But, it couldn't have happened to a better team.;)

Reaction Score
Yep, it was at Gampel.

Scottie Reynolds also killed us at Gampel - he had 40 points against us in 2007-ish.

That game was frustrating - Reynolds went off, but if UConn doesn't miss 20 free throws, we win in a laugher instead of dropping a close game.
Yes i was at the game where Reynolds went off. I believe his 40 pts that night are a Gampel Pavilion record for most points scored. Somewhat hard to believe with all the NBA players we have had.

Reaction Score
Two words

Shum pert.

2 things I remember about Shumpert:

- Him waving to his girlfriend after every shot and the announcers talking about it glowingly. Made watching his performance that much tougher to take.

- Watching other cuse games that year, he developed a mysterious scratched cornea. If he was missing or being well defended, all of a sudden his eye bothered him. If his shot was going in, he was fine. It varied from game to game.

Reaction Score
Yep, it was at Gampel.

I thought the Lindsey Hunter game was the last game ever in the field house?\

Check that, I guess I was thinking of another NIT exit, Cliffy's last game where he was called for some BS charge I believe on an awesome dunk that probably would have clinched the game vs UAB. I somehow made an amalgamation of that memory with the Lindsey Hunter game. Both home NIT losses but at least at the UAB game you could go outside at halftime and drink your hidden booze .

Reaction Score
I thought the Lindsey Hunter game was the last game ever in the field house?\

Check that, I guess I was thinking of another NIT exit, Cliffy's last game where he was called for some BS charge I believe on an awesome dunk that probably would have clinched the game vs UAB. I somehow made an amalgamation of that memory with the Lindsey Hunter game. Both home NIT losses but at least at the UAB game you could go outside at halftime and drink your hidden booze .

I remember the UAB game as well. UAB had a giant goon at center (the late Alan Ogg). He was utterly uncoordinated, but he was 7'2", so made things tough for us inside.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember that 2001 Detroit game in the 2nd round of the NIT? -Annoyed-

Reaction Score
Alway thought BC's troy Bell played against us well. Also seemed like he played college ball for 6 years

Bell may have had several very good games against us. I'd have to look that up, though.

One fond memory is of a less than stellar performance by Bell. This might have been in 2003, last regular season game of the year. BC needs a win to clinch their division within the conference and secure an NCAA berth. Bell needs maybe 25-30 points to become the all time leading scorer in the Big East. He would need to have a good game to do it, but not a ridiculous one. The game is at BC, it's Senior Day, and BC destroyed UConn at Gampel earlier in the year.

End result: Embarrassing blowout win by UConn. Bell scores about 15, never threatens the record. The loss sends BC to the NIT even though they tied (or finished 1 game behind) UConn in the division standings. And to top it off, they didn't even get to host the first round NIT game.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Wasn't there some guy named Gomes that I kind remember JC talking about;) He had a few good games against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom