Lets look at the positives | The Boneyard

Lets look at the positives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We have 3 National Championships (same as Kansas), 17 Big East conference titles (tied w Gtown for most in BE history), tons of NBA star power (alums that love the school and come back), and a $30 million state of the art practice facility on the way. Sorry haters we won't be away too long!!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 104
Reaction Score
Fact is, there is a huge black cloud hanging over this program. Not only are we banned from the tournament, not only does there appear to be a mass exodus from our existing roster, but under the current state, we will have a very difficult time filling these vacant scholarships with "UConn" worthy talent. So far, the resounding arguement is that in Coach Calhoun we trust, that he is the right man for the job and he will see us through this. In my mind, that alone does very little to help solve this problem. Fact is, Coach Calhoun has a shelf life of probably 2 more years. If things remain static, with all the negative recruiting that exists and with the current fallout still fresh, that black cloud will remain. This program needs clarity RIGHT NOW. One of two things need to happen. Either we need to hear from Coach and the administration that he will in fact fulfill his two years and then continue to consult and have input. With that, it is absolutely imperative that Kevin Ollie is immediately tagged as the assistant head coach and the next head coach in waiting. Or, if the administration is unwilling to do that, then unfortunately whats best for the overall health of the program is to go in a different direction. A decision, one way or another needs to be made now. For this program to maintain its elite status, it needs clarity and direction. It needs to remove that black cloud. A decision one way or the other will be the first step.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We have 3 National Championships (same as Kansas), 17 Big East conference titles (tied w Gtown for most in BE history), tons of NBA star power (alums that love the school and come back), and a $30 million state of the art practice facility on the way. Sorry haters we won't be away too long!!

Bullspit! We have the most overall BE Championships - only tied with Georgetown for BE Tournament Championships (7).

Reaction Score
Fact is, there is a huge black cloud hanging over this program. Not only are we banned from the tournament, not only does there appear to be a mass exodus from our existing roster, but under the current state, we will have a very difficult time filling these vacant scholarships with "UConn" worthy talent. So far, the resounding arguement is that in Coach Calhoun we trust, that he is the right man for the job and he will see us through this. In my mind, that alone does very little to help solve this problem. Fact is, Coach Calhoun has a shelf life of probably 2 more years. If things remain static, with all the negative recruiting that exists and with the current fallout still fresh, that black cloud will remain. This program needs clarity RIGHT NOW. One of two things need to happen. Either we need to hear from Coach and the administration that he will in fact fulfill his two years and then continue to consult and have input. With that, it is absolutely imperative that Kevin Ollie is immediately tagged as the assistant head coach and the next head coach in waiting. Or, if the administration is unwilling to do that, then unfortunately whats best for the overall health of the program is to go in a different direction. A decision, one way or another needs to be made now. For this program to maintain its elite status, it needs clarity and direction. It needs to remove that black cloud. A decision one way or the other will be the first step.
Herbst and the new AD need to clean house like tomorrow. I think alot of fans are ignoring the fact that most of the players that left, left because Calhoun is still there, not because he might leave in 2 or 3 years. He never was the greatest recruiter and any new head coach tied to him might have just as difficult a time. I think the next head coach should have just as much in common with Calhoun as Calhoun had with Dom Perno or Dee Rowe. I know this will not be a popular post and it pains me to say this but JC need to hang it up for the good of the school before he becomes basketballs version of Jopa.

Reaction Score
You're probably one of those PC people that tells everyone on their Little League team " good try" as they strike out for the 4th time in a row.
I'll take this bait.

No better way to show a person how terrible the world really is than when they're 7-years-old and failing. Because there have never been any good baseball players who weren't little league all-stars, and the only reason to play little league baseball is to groom children for the majors.

Get a job you lazy 1st grader, and quit hogging up all the roster spots! Some kindergartener may have found their hand-eye coordination earlier than you!

Reaction Score
Herbst and the new AD need to clean house like tomorrow. I think alot of fans are ignoring the fact that most of the players that left, left because Calhoun is still there, not because he might leave in 2 or 3 years. He never was the greatest recruiter and any new head coach tied to him might have just as difficult a time. I think the next head coach should have just as much in common with Calhoun as Calhoun had with Dom Perno or Dee Rowe. I know this will not be a popular post and it pains me to say this but JC need to hang it up for the good of the school before he becomes basketballs version of Jopa.
I have no problem with us looking outside when Coach retires but it should be his decision. He has earned the right to turn this around. And to say he has never been a great recruiter is just not true. What about Drummond and 3 NC's and 4 FF's in 12 years. Recruiting doesn't always mean signing the top ranked players. Based on his teams success and the number of Huskies in the NBA proves he is a great recruiter

Reaction Score

LOL

You seem to have forgotten the reason that they came here was because of Calhoun too.

After what he has done for UCONN basketball the man deserves to hang on as long as he wants. Case closed.

Reaction Score

When Paterno was Calhoun's age, PSU was ranked #1 in the country and was loaded. Calhoun can turn this around in a heartbeat. It's crazy to count him out. Clean house and then what? Start from scratch?

Reaction Score
Yale has more NC's in football than any other program. What's your point?
3 national championships in 14 seasons, which is more than any other team in the last 14 seasons. UConn is arguably the best team in the nation in the last 2 decades.

Reaction Score
The amazing statement is he w as never a real good recruiter......3 national champs later and someone believes this? LOL
Get remedial reading comprehension. I never said "he w as never a real good recruiter". I said "he was never the greatest recruiter". Was he a good recruiter? Yes, I'll give him that, but guys like Calipari, Boeheim, and KoachKrap were better recruiters. Since 1985 name all the top 5 recruits he signed. Was he a great coach? Of course, but more often than not he lost out on the top kids. Why? I think a lot of the top kids were afraid to play for him.

Reaction Score
Get remedial reading comprehension. I never said "he w as never a real good recruiter". I said "he was never the greatest recruiter". Was he a good recruiter? Yes, I'll give him that, but guys like Calipari, Boeheim, and KoachKrap were better recruiters. Since 1985 name all the top 5 recruits he signed. Was he a great coach? Of course, but more often than not he lost out on the top kids. Why? I think a lot of the top kids were afraid to play for him.

He's always had a lot of Bobby Knight in his approach. Those coaches are a dying breed. A lot of kids are too pampered these days to take that kind of coaching. His health concerns are huge, too. What is it, 3 years in a row he's missed parts of the season? What would be great would be to have him in some connected but meaningful capacity, and then going outside the current staff for a hire like Shaka or Brad Stevens, or some young guy like that, who is a star waiting for a big stage.

Two years of Calhoun and a post-season ban are similar to the black cloud that dropped Syracuse down from top 5 status to barely top 25 twenty years ago, giving you guys your opening to fill the void and move up to the top of the conference alongside Georgetown instead of us. And despite a couple championship game appearances in the last 20 years, we have only begun to reach that late 80s / early 90s level again these past 3 years or so. Once lost, it can take a long time to come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom