Let it go once, but now I gotta complain | The Boneyard

Let it go once, but now I gotta complain

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
This story is the second time the Courant has characterized Breanna's 37-point outburst in the Temple game as "...the most by a UConn player since Maya Moore had 36 against Notre Dame at the 2011 Final Four".

That sentence has about the same semantic content as saying it's the most by a UConn player since I returned from Florida three weeks ago.

The more-informative statement would be "since Maya Moore had 38 against Syracuse on February 24, 2010", as can be gleaned from the table in the article.

Aren't there proof-readers and/or editors reviewing content any more?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
This story is the second time the Courant has characterized Breanna's 37-point outburst in the Temple game as "...the most by a UConn player since Maya Moore had 36 against Notre Dame at the 2011 Final Four".

That sentence has about the same semantic content as saying it's the most by a UConn player since I returned from Florida three weeks ago.

The more-informative statement would be "since Maya Moore had 38 against Syracuse on February 24, 2010".

So, did you enjoy Florida? ;):rolleyes:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, saw that, but I decided I would let it go about 10 times before complaining about it. I'm just happy they got the number right. There was that game a ways back where we kept hearing "Jefferson had 8 steals" and "Jefferson had 9 steals" almost within seconds of each other on the broadcast, and I was wondering if they were going to settle on 8 1/2.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
There are no proofreaders or editors anymore. There are few experienced reporters. Newspapers are dying and budgets are gone. Inexperienced reporters with marginal English skills are doing the work. And an upcoming generation of non-readers doesn't care.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I understand your point, but will trade a few errors in semantics, grammar or auto-spell correct for the fact I am grateful that this team gets as much press coverage as it does. Not as much as about 5-10 years ago, when media budgets were bigger, but still WAY more than most teams could dream of enjoying.

(Otherwise we would have to garner any nuggets of news from ourselves here on the 'Yard. Not that there's anything wrong with the Yard, but let's enjoy the Horde while we have them.)

Reaction Score

The more-informative statement would be "since Maya Moore had 38 against Syracuse on February 24, 2010", as can be gleaned from the table in the article.

Aren't there proof-readers and/or editors reviewing content any more?[/quot

Sales scored 46.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Yeah, saw that, but I decided I would let it go about 10 times before complaining about it.

JRRRJ has the same hurdle, but her prefers base 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
If they want to mention Maya, they could say "First player to score over 35 since..."

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
So, did you enjoy Florida? ;):rolleyes:

Yes. Visited my dad (twice) and taught him how to use the laptop he's owned for a year. Spent a surprisingly enjoyable day at Epcot Center. Luxuriated in the moist climate. Marveled at how a large area SW of Orlando has morphed into wall-to-wall tourist (and conventioneer) trap.

Well, you *did* ask. :p

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
"Yeah, saw that, but I decided I would let it go about 10 times before complaining about it.

JRRRJ has the same hurdle, but her prefers base 2.

Ahhh yes.....There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don’t.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Yes. Visited my dad (twice) and taught him how to use the laptop he's owned for a year. Spent a surprisingly enjoyable day at Epcot Center. Luxuriated in the moist climate. Marveled at how a large area SW of Orlando has morphed into wall-to-wall tourist (and conventioneer) trap.

Well, you *did* ask. :p
Whenever I visit my parents in Fla. I spend a few hours cleaning up their computers....they click on anything. :(

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

It really bothered me too. And my obvious correction would have been to change it to 'the most by a player since Bria scored 30 in the Rutgers game.' I thought that would improve the meaninglessness of it considerably!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
There are no proofreaders or editors anymore. There are few experienced reporters. Newspapers are dying and budgets are gone. Inexperienced reporters with marginal English skills are doing the work. And an upcoming generation of non-readers doesn't care.

And the current generation is not interested in paying for any of it....

Says the woman who will write 6 600-1200 word WHBOF articles, each taking her 3-5 hours to chew on and write, after researching each inductee for an hour or so, after spending 10-30 minutes of email time setting up an interview, after spending 30-60 minutes interviewing each inductee, after spending 90-120 minutes transcribing each interview.

Expecting to be paid, if she's lucky, $250 for all six articles.

And, if I do say so myself, I write a damn good article.

So, you get what you don't pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01