LeHigh football game at yankee stadium was a sellout | The Boneyard

LeHigh football game at yankee stadium was a sellout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
longest rivalry in college football, at least some rivalries aren't dead yet. Uconn needs a rival

Reaction Score
It's not the longest rivalry; that would be Harvard vs Yale. It is the most played rivalry, if I am correct.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Butch, I believe you are right, and it was their 150th meeting.

There was another thread on this game a few days ago but the gist of what I posted was : this is the only game that matters each year for either team. It's THE rivalry game. You might pass on every other game, but you plan around Lehigh - Lafayette.

What you see with us is that, other than being dreadful to watch, we have no rivalries anymore.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think they do this every year, so I'm guessing their fan bases treat this game as

1) alumni weekend II
2) homecoming weekend II
3) a weekend getaway to the Big Apple

Reaction Score
It's not the longest rivalry; that would be Harvard vs Yale. It is the most played rivalry, if I am correct.
Nope you are not correct. It is the longest. Harvard and Yale have played 131 times, this was the 150th game between Lehigh/Lafayette.

Reaction Score
Butch, I believe you are right, and it was their 150th meeting.

There was another thread on this game a few days ago but the gist of what I posted was : this is the only game that matters each year for either team. It's THE rivalry game. You might pass on every other game, but you plan around Lehigh - Lafayette.

What you see with us is that, other than being dreadful to watch, we have no rivalries anymore.

This is the price we paid for joining the Big East conference, and remaining loyal to it, to the end.

Reaction Score
I think they do this every year, so I'm guessing their fan bases treat this game as

1) alumni weekend II
2) homecoming weekend II
3) a weekend getaway to the Big Apple
This is the first time they did it.

I have been to a couple in Lehigh, great scene.

Reaction Score
I remember being laughed off this board, some time ago, when I talked about the Patriot league and their plan to start bringing back scholarship football to the northeast. The biggest threat to UCONN recruiting is not going up the ladder to the so called P5 conferences, it's competing with what's coming up from behind.

Reaction Score
wow so the Lehigh lafeyette football game played at yankee stadium this weekend was a sellout crowd of 48k. that's 20k more tha uconn/army! wow. how does that game draw more than uconn???!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/sports/ncaafootball/east-college-roundup.html?referrer=&_r=0
Was the event of the decade, maybe the century for both schools. It was their national championship, bowl game, home coming and just plain celebration of their existence all rolled into one.

Reaction Score
I remember being laughed off this board, some time ago, when I talked about the Patriot league and their plan to start bringing back scholarship football to the northeast. The biggest threat to UCONN recruiting is not going up the ladder to the so called P5 conferences, it's competing with what's coming up from behind.

O please ... this is silly.

Lehigh & Lafayette (Colgate & Bucknell) ... are just world's different experience than UConn.

If you are going to be playing at a World Class Public Research University ... you have HUGE opportunities. And, I'm not just talking about the Far Greater Practice facility. You simply don't find many UConn's in the northeastern US. And there are PLENTY of good solid football players capable and eager to play at the UConn FBS level. The Lehigh kids are just a different mindset. This is both about fit and about what is coming to a glorious future for Storrs & UConn.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
To give you an idea... they sold 30k before the venue was even announced. They could have played this anywhere it would have been a sell out. Very little bearing on that vs. a regular season game in a down year against Army.

Reaction Score
O please ... this is silly.

Lehigh & Lafayette (Colgate & Bucknell) ... are just world's different experience than UConn.

If you are going to be playing at a World Class Public Research University ... you have HUGE opportunities. And, I'm not just talking about the Far Greater Practice facility. You simply don't find many UConn's in the northeastern US. And there are PLENTY of good solid football players capable and eager to play at the UConn FBS level. The Lehigh kids are just a different mindset. This is both about fit and about what is coming to a glorious future for Storrs & UConn.

We have been having trouble apparently, maintaining an 85 scholarship max roster for a few years. Hopefully Diaco really does change that. I agree that UCONN is an instituation that stands above any other public university in the region. But I think you're buying too much of Diaco selling Pudge. I'm done with that, I don't care anymore what he says, and in fact wish he would shut up a bit more. I want results.

Until I see differently, and it comes from the results on the field, which is patient waiting to see - when it comes to recruiting, the reality of what 7 or 8 more football programs?, looking for scholarship athletes to play football, that fit a relatively high academic and athletic standard, in our immediate recruiting footprint, ramping up from essentially zero scholarship opportunities to 65 or so scholarships each, in the past 3 years, is something I consider a major threat.

Until proven otherwise, I will consider this a threat, much more so, than the difficulty of going after a top notch athlete that has dreams of playing in Tuscaloosa or something.

willie99

Reaction Score
Incorrect, bu the original poster's NY Times' article provided some facts on the 150th version of The Rivalry, Lafayette/Lehigh who have played each other more than any other schools have faced respective gridiron rivals, and arrangements to play the 150th meeting at Yankee Stadium.

well there you go, now youse have all the facts

I was at lunch with a gentlemen on Friday the 14th who's daughter is presently attending one of those schools. He was talking about it being at Yankee Stadium and how big of an event this is and how they do it every year. He may have misspoke, I may have misunderstood what he meant by every year, but he certainly was spot on about the magnitude of the game.

I did qualify my statement, maybe you missed that part, but thanks clarification

willie99

Reaction Score
This is the first time they did it.

I have been to a couple in Lehigh, great scene.

I think it's great people can still rally around an event that's not overly hyped by ESPN and has no bearing on the National Championship

we don't have that game anywhere on any schedule ever

Reaction Score
Nope you are not correct. It is the longest. Harvard and Yale have played 131 times, this was the 150th game between Lehigh/Lafayette.
Tufts vs Harvard was the first real game of college gridiron football in 1875. Harvard vs Yale was the next game that Harvard played. Representatives, including from Princeton, took word home of the new game back to their schools.

Most played does not mean the longest played. Lehigh and Lafayette played each other more than once during a season a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom