Legends of the Fall | The Boneyard

Legends of the Fall

Reaction Score
In past years, once the season culminated with the NC game, attention turned to spring sports. Not so anymore. The real drama seems to now begin in the portal transfer season, part of the NIL era.

I watched the Bird & Taurasi show during the SC & NC St semifinal game. As they were having a discussion with the legendary Cheryl Miller about the demise of the Pac-12, JuJu Watkins was brought up as the latest in a list of great Trojan players. It got me to thinking about some of the great players from the top women's programs over the past 40+ years. What if there was a legend's tournament whereby teams could put a starting five of their all-time greats from their prime? Which school could field the best starting five?

USC would have Cheryl Miller, Lisa Leslie, Tina Thompson & Cynthia Cooper among its choices. UT has many, but I would think Candace Parker, Chamique Holdsclaw & Tamika Catchings would be unanimous picks. Baylor would have to include Brittney Griner, Odyssey Sims and Sophia Young. ND is known as guard U, but I think Ruth Riley, Arike Ogunbowale & Skylar Diggins are locks. SC doesn't have the same length of dominance as some other programs, but their recent success definitely merits inclusion. I suspect that Aja Wilson, Aliyah Boston, Tiffany Mitchell and/or Zia Cooke are automatically in. Stanford might have the hardest task of who to include. Candace Wiggins and the Ogwumike sisters would seem likely starters. I would love to hear what fans of the aforementioned teams have to say.

UConn and their 11 NC teams offer an infinite supply of choices, but I would think any team would have to include Breanna Stewart, Maya Moore and Diana Taurasi as core members. Unfortunately, some greats are going to be left out, but here's my other two. I don't think you can go wrong with either Tina Charles or Napheesa Collier, but I choose Pheesa because of her versatility.

Originally, I was going to include Paige for the 5th spot. Her overall skill level is second to none. It is a tough call because Sue Bird is my all-time favorite player. Fortunately, I recently stumbled upon a YouTube video on the chemistry between Sue & Diana during their UConn years. It was a welcome reminder of just how great Sue (the original pullup jumper) and Diana were, and how enjoyable it was watching them play. They clicked together both on and off the court.

Unfortunately, the footage included the 2001 semifinal game against ND, one on the most shocking losses I can remember for UConn. For now, Sue is my choice for the last spot. However, I reserve the right to reconsider my position if Paige can lead her team to a 12th NC next season.

I'd love to know who would BY fans include. Also, would UConn's starting five be unbeatable?

Reaction Score
I don't know enough about USC vs UCONN 5 vs 5. - but if I were to go with a lineup I would go witha UCONN lineup it owuld be Tina, Stewie, Maya, DT and Bird. And I think that lineup would be unbeatable. vs the others not named USC.

Then if I were to add 7 others I would add, Moriah, Paige, Nykeesha, Napheesa, Swin, Rebecca, Stef. There could be others greater (Bascom)- and in terms of greatness imo Rebecca over Tina - but in terms of putting together a team and a starting 5 - that would be my 5 and my 12. By the way, Paige is a 1/2/3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89
Top Bottom