Last Year's Opposing Coaches | The Boneyard

Last Year's Opposing Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Considering last year's schedule let's face it, we played a lot of teams that didn't really belong on the court with us. Nevertheless a few of them came after us, played us fearlessly and gave us a good fight for more than just a few minutes. It was obvious to me that they were able to do so because of great preparation, i.e. their coaches had them prime and ready and confident. Two that impressed me were Joe Tartamella of St. John's and Jim Jabir of Dayton. I think they have great futures in the sport.
Any other coaches that impressed you?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I happened to talk with a former player of an conference opponent last weekend. The talk drifted to playing UConn, of course. She told me that her coach pretty much said "You are going to lose. Try to not make it bad a beating." I was shocked by that (so was she, by the way) but then I thought how do you prepare a team, mentally, not x's and o's, to play against UConn?

I think, unless you realistically have a shot, you coach the same way that Geno coaches against you. Your set up game goals that are not dependent upon outcome. So if UConn trends 12 points in the first five minutes, you try to hold them below ten. You expend resources to force the ball out of say Stewie's hands, accepting the fact that someone else will make you pay for that. You deny backdoor cuts. And during time outs you focus on those things and ignore the score. If all else fails you can always go with let's win the next five minutes (which in my experience is often surprisingly effective.) The critical thing is keep the players focus on narrow aspects of the game, which hopefully have been thought out to help you in other games, to keep their intensity up.

I was thinking about making this question it's own thread, but it seems close enough to the OP. So how would you coach against UConn?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I was actually pretty impressed with most of the AAC coaches - I thought their teams played hard for the whole games and kept focused on playing their game whatever the score. I did not see them lose intensity. None of them except Jose had anywhere near the horses to compete seriously against a Uconn team playing well, but I didn't see a defeatist attitude amongst players or coaches. If they can start recruiting better players it could get interesting.

And yes - you coach to specific goals that have nothing to do with the scoreboard, and you break down the film afterwards in the same way. You make sure your team understands that it isn't the skill alone that makes Uconn's success, but the focus on specific basketball skills and teamwork and intensity - things that any player can achieve.

Reactions: HGN

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I was actually pretty impressed with most of the AAC coaches - I thought their teams played hard for the whole games and kept focused on playing their game whatever the score. I did not see them lose intensity. None of them except Jose had anywhere near the horses to compete seriously against a Uconn team playing well, but I didn't see a defeatist attitude amongst players or coaches. If they can start recruiting better players it could get interesting.

And yes - you coach to specific goals that have nothing to do with the scoreboard, and you break down the film afterwards in the same way. You make sure your team understands that it isn't the skill alone that makes Uconn's success, but the focus on specific basketball skills and teamwork and intensity - things that any player can achieve.
I agree in general, though Memphis at UCONN may have been an exception. Not sure about SMU.

Tulsa, Tulane, East Carolina, USF--I thought those teams and coaches represented themselves well. The UCF coach seems capable, but she was seriously undermanned. Losing her top scorer didn't help. DaddyChoc mentioned Jamelle. Whenever I see Cincy play, it looks to me like they're well coached and that her players respond to her. I felt sorry for her last year, having lost her best player before the season. I was especially uncomfortable with her being on the receiving end of Geno's 900th win. Let's hope she can rebound.

But yeah, overall I've been impressed with the quality of the coaches in the league.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Considering last year's schedule let's face it, we played a lot of teams that didn't really belong on the court with us. Nevertheless a few of them came after us, played us fearlessly and gave us a good fight for more than just a few minutes. It was obvious to me that they were able to do so because of great preparation, i.e. their coaches had them prime and ready and confident. Two that impressed me were Joe Tartamella of St. John's and Jim Jabir of Dayton. I think they have great futures in the sport.
Any other coaches that impressed you?
Not to "nit" - but regarding Jabir, he has been head coaching since 1986 with stops at Buffalo State, Sienna, Marquette, Providence and most recently 12 years at Dayton. Except for the train wreck that is Providence, he has been successful at all his other stops, with a career record of 458-363. So I would not say a "great future", per se. Jim is a fine coach who appears well settled at Dayton, his finest performances. I suspect he will continue to perform at a good level as long as he wishes.

Tartamella OTH is a recent head coach.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Heather Macy of East Carolina was impressive looking. Wait, we are talking impressive coaching-my bad!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was thinking about making this question it's own thread, but it seems close enough to the OP. So how would you coach against UConn?
Besides going to mass and lighting candles I would go into the game determined to take one thing away defensively (probably post isolation), play physically (like Stanford did) and limit live ball turnovers. On offense my game plan would be to get my 2 best shooters maximum amount of shots from favorite spots on the floor ( like Dayton did for 1 half).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom