Last night and looking ahead | The Boneyard

Last night and looking ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Some more thoughts on last night with a silver lining for the negative thoughts.
1) The entire game was absolutely a disappointment for sure. But now Diaco and Co have game film on over 50 players, so let's see if they can learn from it.
2) The Diaco defense was too often confused on the field. Didn't know where to line up. Silver lining, this is probably the most challenging team we will play this season from a preparation standpoint.
3) Finishing drives...We seemed to have a little success at times running the ball, I would have liked to see more run plays in the red zone as the condensed field hurt our passing attack.
4) Did BYU take their foot off the gas or did UConn adjust? I almost don't want to know, but it was disconcerting that each time UConn scored or had a long - but failed drive, BYU marched down the field immediately thereafter.
5) Linebacker play. I'm no expert, but at times it seemed like maybe we should have had more nickel out there. Our linebackers couldnt handle their potent offensive mix.
6) It was really disappointing to see the secondary give up that last touchdown in Q4 to Taysom. I think it was Adams who seemingly made no effort. Hopefully he learns from this. Ellis Marder did have a nice open field tackle on Taysom sometime late in the third qtr.
7) If our O line stays healthy and manages to improves a bit more, I could actually see our offense finishing the season as the better unit vs our D. I'm not sure our D can get much better at the moment, but I think our O can... with four RBs and about 6 decent WRs, some ingredients are there.
8) What would this game look like had BYU not committed so many penalties? Lets not think about that further.

Fan Experience
1) It took an extra 1.5hrs (ie the drive time was more than double the usual) of driving for those coming from FF County. I almost turned around.
2) This wont be changing - ever - but these tv timeouts are beginning to wear on the fan experience. It seemed like there was 5 to 8 more minutes of idle tv time in each hr in the stadium than in the past. I'm dead serious - the fan experience at MLB now moves faster than the fan experience at televised football.
3) Generally observation, far more people drinking heavily than I would expect....perhaps because it was a warm labor day friday night.

Reaction Score
Friday, Labor Day weekend is getaway day. I left Fairfield county at 1pm as I knew there would be tons of traffic and got there by 315.

Reaction Score
Friday, Labor Day weekend is getaway day. I left Fairfield county at 1pm as I knew there would be tons of traffic and got there by 315.
WOW what a difference 30 minutes makes...I left Port Chester at 1:30 (take the Merrit and get on at CT border in Greenwich) and didn't get there until 4;30. Traffic flat out sucked through Fairfield County all the way over the Sikorski Bridge, then again getting through the tunnel in New Haven. This isn't just a labor day weekend thing...it has happened to me before for Friday night games where it took 3-4 hrs to get to the Rent. Leaving at noon from now on...I'd rather wait at the gate than sit in traffic.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I boldly left at 4:45pm. Didnt have a choice in the matter. Didnt get to tunnel until 645 ish....Didn't get to the stadium until 730 ish. I didnt turn around when I realized that my tickets wouldnt be scanned! its all about the ticket scan.

Reaction Score
The last TD Hill looked like he was running through cones on the way to the endzone. Our CB's need a lot of work on getting off blocks. Either BYU's OT's were really good or we will struggle to get a pass rush from our DE's. If we are going to have just Foxx and Davis out wide and go with a TE and FB and run the ball the line will have to get much more proficient at making a running lane. The jury is still out as to whether we would get more running room with a single back spread system. Could still use the TE but I'm not sure the FB is helping us. Our wideouts did not have a great day, plays were there but we slipped on cuts and had the drops again. The new O-line did show potential and the team after getting driven the length of the field then getting burned by the early turnover hung in there. Looking forward to the next game to see the improvements.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The last TD Hill looked like he was running through cones on the way to the endzone. Our CB's need a lot of work on getting off blocks. Either BYU's OT's were really good or we will struggle to get a pass rush from our DE's. If we are going to have just Foxx and Davis out wide and go with a TE and FB and run the ball the line will have to get much more proficient at making a running lane. The jury is still out as to whether we would get more running room with a single back spread system. Could still use the TE but I'm not sure the FB is helping us. Our wideouts did not have a great day, plays were there but we slipped on cuts and had the drops again. The new O-line did show potential and the team after getting driven the length of the field then getting burned by the early turnover hung in there. Looking forward to the next game to see the improvements.

Agreed. And the BYU receivers were strong and fluid. There whole offensive was a slick, well oiled machine.

And good point about the FB position. Not sure the FB configuration is working. Need to watch film to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom