Kyla Irwin | The Boneyard

Kyla Irwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't remember if this was posted before. The kid has range, like 3 feet behind the arc. I'd love to see a couple actual games to know if her first instinct is to go towards the hoop, though. Anyone seen her in person?
For those who may not know, Kyla is a UConn commit from the high school class of 2016, so we'll see her in Storrs a year from November.

Reaction Score
First time posting. Have been an avid UConn WBB fan since 1995 when I first became aware of the women's game. Now I read the Boneyard every night of the year along with a glance at Jim Fuller just to see what's going on with any possible recruits. Having watched the Kyla Irwin video it's hard not to be impressed by her long game. Unexpected to me as I thought she was more of a post.

This first post was driven by my sincere belief that if a Junior in HS is given a scholarship by Geno Auriemma when he can certainly wait to see who else may be available in the entire country or world then she must be something very special. Anything I might say, regardless of any depth of knowledge I might have regarding making judgements about possible recruits, is relatively worthless after his decision. He thinks she's got the juice. Then, I have to presume she's got the juice. Yes?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And daughter of Bethany Collins (Irwin) and member of the two time Branford Hornets state champions in the 1980s and former PSU Lady Lion.

Reaction Score
She has "SPECIAL" written all over it by the time she gets to UCONN.......

Reaction Score
First time posting. Have been an avid UConn WBB fan since 1995 when I first became aware of the women's game. Now I read the Boneyard every night of the year along with a glance at Jim Fuller just to see what's going on with any possible recruits. Having watched the Kyla Irwin video it's hard not to be impressed by her long game. Unexpected to me as I thought she was more of a post.

This first post was driven by my sincere belief that if a Junior in HS is given a scholarship by Geno Auriemma when he can certainly wait to see who else may be available in the entire country or world then she must be something very special. Anything I might say, regardless of any depth of knowledge I might have regarding making judgements about possible recruits, is relatively worthless after his decision. He thinks she's got the juice. Then, I have to presume she's got the juice. Yes?
Welcome.

Reaction Score
I don't remember if this was posted before. The kid has range, like 3 feet behind the arc. I'd love to see a couple actual games to know if her first instinct is to go towards the hoop, though. Anyone seen her in person?
For those who may not know, Kyla is a UConn commit from the high school class of 2016, so we'll see her in Storrs a year from November.

It has been posted before but worth watching again. Never saw her in person so can't answer but there was a tape from her sophomore season (can't find it) and you can see the improvement in her game in this video compared to that one.

Reaction Score

I'd say that's a good way to go about it. :) Welcome.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She seems to be very confident in that three as she hunts it - spotting up. She also has a nice mid-range and seems to prefer the pull up 10-15' shot rather than challenging a post defender.
Her being a coach's daughter and a basketball junky is definitely a plus. She does not have a 'fluid' style, sometimes looking a bit awkward, but is still very effective.

Reaction Score
She seems to be very confident in that three as she hunts it - spotting up. She also has a nice mid-range and seems to prefer the pull up 10-15' shot rather than challenging a post defender.
Her being a coach's daughter and a basketball junky is definitely a plus. She does not have a 'fluid' style, sometimes looking a bit awkward, but is still very effective.

That was not my impression. When she was guard one-on-one, she went to the hole very effectively. When the middle was zone stacked, she took what the defense gave her. Given how dominant she is in her area, the "highlight" reel would naturally feature more of the latter because that would be the normal defense thrown against her.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I like her game. I would imagine she would be a Crockett type player - mostly coming off the bench for her career at UCONN. I think her upside is Sara Hammond for L'ville. Irwin already has a better outside shot than Hammond had, and is built similarly to Hammond when Sara came out of HS. As with most "bigger" post players, Irwin will need to work on her quickness, fitness, and mobility but I think she's a really solid player and am glad she's going to suit up for UCONN...

Reaction Score
Did she miss this past season? I thought I read that she was shut down last fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom