Kyla Irwin Commits to UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kyla Irwin Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would have had I been sure it was confirmed! I had to do some digging to make sure I wasn't going crazy! Found the twitter post and at that point couldn't go back! Go UConn!

Reaction Score
Here is an article from the Harrisburg Patriot News: http://highschoolsports.pennlive.com/news/article/-8901932829320703272/following-her-dreams-state-college-hoops-standout-kyla-irwin-commits-to-powerhouse-uconn/#incart_river.

Last season, Irwin popped in 19.6 points and grabbed 12.7 points per game for the Little Lions, who finished with the lead pack in Mid-Penn Commonwealth play, won the District 6-AAAA title and advanced to the second round of the PIAA playoffs.

Irwin, a two-time PennLive Big 15 all-star team and an all-state selection last season, also blocked 39 shots, shot 80 percent from the foul line, and she’ll begin her junior season with 936 career points.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Here is an article from the Harrisburg Patriot News: http://highschoolsports.pennlive.com/news/article/-8901932829320703272/following-her-dreams-state-college-hoops-standout-kyla-irwin-commits-to-powerhouse-uconn/#incart_river.

Last season, Irwin popped in 19.6 points and grabbed 12.7 points per game for the Little Lions, who finished with the lead pack in Mid-Penn Commonwealth play, won the District 6-AAAA title and advanced to the second round of the PIAA playoffs.

Irwin, a two-time PennLive Big 15 all-star team and an all-state selection last season, also blocked 39 shots, shot 80 percent from the foul line, and she’ll begin her junior season with 936 career points.
"UConn is one of the top women’s basketball programs in the country, and recruits the best of the best."

Good to see the Huskies are finally getting some recognition, and that the general public is getting educated about WCBB.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think the Gardler comparison is appropriate, or maybe Cassie Kerns. While it isn't reported, I would bet a healthy sum that somewhere in her conversation with Geno, he probably said that her minutes might be limited and she might make her major contribution in practice, but she would be given every opportunity to earn as many minutes as she could, and she would be an integral part of the team in every other way -- travel, ceremonies, White House visits, etc.

She probably doesn't aspire to the WNBA, and probably will focus on academics at UConn. But she will have an unforgettable college experience, and gain a number of friends for life. And a free college education. Not a bad deal at all.

Reaction Score
upload_2014-10-21_22-2-53.png

Rosters for 2014 thru 2018 (as of now). Don't know if Lawlor has a scholarship or not, is not counted in the total scholarship number listed.

Reaction Score
There will be hell to pay on the PSU board where Rene supporters still look for any excuse to slam Coquese. I won't report it because they'll slam me for gloating for UCONN.
Wait, there are still Rene supporters? And they're open about it, too?

Yikes.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
http://touch.courant.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-81743963/

Many interesting quotes in this John A story. The more I read about Kyla (and her mom) the more I understand why Geno recruited her. She's going to UConn to play.

BTW, sounds like Geno is looking to sign one more player in this class, another post player.

Kyla's Mom Bethany:

But as a coach, it was practice that I really loved to see. And she loved it just as much. I’ve been telling her how important it was to see how the teams [recruiting her] practice. You want to make sure you understand what it is they do every day and you need to decide for yourself if you can do it, can you handle it, can you deal with the mentality and physicality. I wanted her to watch a full practice and it was great to see.”

“Kyla had some questions, Geno had some answers,” Bethany said.

“I told her, ‘Kyla, they are not recruiting your parents, they are recruiting you. But you are also recruiting a team that will be a perfect fit for you. You need to come up with questions. You need to be able to relate to the coaches on a daily basis, be comfortable walking into their offices to talk about life situations for four five years unless you get to know them.

“She brought in her notebook and asked them all kinds of questions; personal and basketball alike so she could have an understanding what they were looking for. It’s part of her personality and she handled it very well.

“I can tell you, as her coach, I can tell as her mother, she is going to work extremely hard,” Bethany said. “She will push until she gets as far as she can go. She grew up in my gym, my basketball gym. I’ve coached for 22 years and Kyla’s been there with me for 17. She’s been on the bus rides, sitting on the couch with me breaking down film or scouting as asking questions. She wants to coach college. That’s her goal.

“It’s amazing to know that the game that I love, that has taken me so many places, is having the same impact on my daughter.”

Kyla:

“Coach Auriemma asked me what position I thought I was best at and I told him I thought I was a post player. He said he agreed with me. Then he explained that the plan was to bring two guards and one post in [with the Class of 2016] but the thinking now was to perhaps focus on two posts and one guard. Then he asked the others coaches if they thought they should offer me and they all said ‘yes’”.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Two great quotes from her mom - should be tacked on every HS players wall who is being recruited:
I’ve been telling her how important it was to see how the teams [recruiting her] practice. You want to make sure you understand what it is they do every day and you need to decide for yourself if you can do it, can you handle it, can you deal with the mentality and physicality. I wanted her to watch a full practice
Kyla, they are not recruiting your parents, they are recruiting you. But you are also recruiting a team that will be a perfect fit for you. You need to come up with questions. You need to be able to relate to the coaches on a daily basis, be comfortable walking into their offices to talk about life situations for four five years unless you get to know them.
“She brought in her notebook and asked them all kinds of questions; personal and basketball alike so she could have an understanding what they were looking for.

She could be a bit like a shorter version of Dolson - will never match the 'personality' - and maybe not the best conditioned HS player, but smart and determined

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
More great quotes from Rich's blog as Kyla's mother talks about her game: http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/2014/10/21/dream-becomes-reality-as-irwin-commits-to-uconn/

“She brings an awful lot of energy and excitement and drive and passion,’’ Bethany Irwin said. “At the high school level, she can really can do everything for us. You don’t see it a lot of that, obviously, at the collegiate level. But for us she can handle the ball. She’s passing behind her back. She’s rebounding. She’s dictating where people should be going. She’s a really true floor leader. Her strength is just the knowledge of this game from being brought up in this gym.

She loves strategies and she loves, `How am I going to beat this team? How am I going to stop this kid I know is bigger, stronger, faster? But how am I going to beat her?’ And she knows she doesn’t have to be the best one out there. She just knows she has to figure out how to stop them. And I think she’s got a good head on her shoulders and how she plays the game and understands it. I think that’s a huge strength.

“Her footwork in the low block is pretty darn good. She’s got a lot of options. And her hands are really good with passing. But I know the next two years she’s really going to focus on trying to be more of a threat in the perimeter. And she’s got shooting range. She can hit 3s. She committed (to UConn) but she has two more years and she’s like, `I’ve got two more years to get better.’ And that’s her goal.’’

Reaction Score
It looks like her preferred number is 25. The Huskies don't have one at present, but a couple of my alltime faves have worn that.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kyla is about to start her junior season of HS basketball. She will bring an enormous level of enthusiasm to improving her skills so she can live her dream of playing for Geno and at UConn. How prepared she is to become a regular in the UConn rotation will be evaluated by Geno.

One of two things will happen: she plays or she practices. Either way, she will be a Husky and enjoy that experience of a lifetime.

Crafty old Red Auerbach often commented on the importance of "practice players," since only seven or eight players normally comprise the rotation but everyone on the roster must contribute meaningfully to team success. Players like Heather Buck and Cassie Kerns and Tahirah Williams earned their NC rings and White House visits. Irwin may replicate their contribution or she may be a clone of Meghan Gardler. I'll take either one. What counts is that so will Geno.

Reaction Score
The women's board is full of old people dude! . I cant read that!!!!

Well it looks perfectly fine on Excel here at the house, so grab some beers and come on down. Or maybe this will be better
upload_2014-10-21_23-47-22.png

upload_2014-10-21_23-51-58.png

*= verbal
Scholarships do not include Lawlor in the total (I have no idea if she has a scholarship or not)
Recruits are from Nan's old list. (I can't understand why she values personal responsibilities over those of the Boneyard ;))

Note: when I insert a picture, the Boneyard keeps reducing it??? Best I can do.:(

Reaction Score
I believe that both Pulido and Lawlor were given scholarships last year, which is totally appropriate given their great contributions to team practices. In any case, it won't affect future offers; they are looking at three for 2016 and most likely will keep that as a consistent goal for the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
Doesn't Geno like to keep his team at 12 to 13 players? Will he consider going to 15 if there are other players from the 2016 class interested?

12 scholarship players. I can see 0-2 more.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I believe that both Pulido and Lawlor were given scholarships last year, which is totally appropriate given their great contributions to team practices. In any case, it won't affect future offers; they are looking at three for 2016 and most likely will keep that as a consistent goal for the foreseeable future.
I believe Lawlor is on scholarship 'as available' year to year.
Marlborough - just a couple of edits - 2018 you haven't changed the year to senior and haven't added the two commits as Jrs. And Pulido is misspelled. Thanks for posting the big text version! (now you wish you hadn't!:cool:)

Reaction Score
I believe Lawlor is on scholarship 'as available' year to year.
Marlborough - just a couple of edits - 2018 you haven't changed the year to senior and haven't added the two commits as Jrs. And Pulido is misspelled. Thanks for posting the big text version! (now you wish you hadn't!:cool:)

Thanks, I have corrected my Excel spreadsheet (too late for an edit) and my apologies to Briana Pulido. However it would be helpful for my credibility if the Pulido family would consider changing their name to Poludo.:rolleyes:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Thanks, I have corrected my Excel spreadsheet (too late for an edit) and my apologies to Briana Pulido. However it would be helpful for my credibility if the Pulido family would consider changing their name to Poludo.:rolleyes:

Escelent job. Dont wory about the speling police, expecaily any from the Bulter family.;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Wait, there are still Rene supporters? And they're open about it, too?

Yikes.
Absolutely, you'll be amazed if you drop over to Penn Live once the news hits or go now and go back down the thread page. It is amazing. For some it is still Imacculata rules.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well it looks perfectly fine on Excel here at the house, so grab some beers and come on down. Or maybe this will be better
View attachment 7245
View attachment 7247

*= verbal
Scholarships do not include Lawlor in the total (I have no idea if she has a scholarship or not)
Recruits are from Nan's old list. (I can't understand why she values personal responsibilities over those of the Boneyard ;))

Note: when I insert a picture, the Boneyard keeps reducing it??? Best I can do.:(
I am really worried about that short bench in 2018. We could be in real trouble. We may be doomed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom