KO on Jalen: "A little bit of Kemba, Shabazz & Boat" | The Boneyard

KO on Jalen: "A little bit of Kemba, Shabazz & Boat"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...-basketball-practice-1004-20151003-story.html

"He can do it all," UConn coach Kevin Ollie said after putting the Huskies through the long first practice of the season. "He's explosive like [Ryan Boatright], with him being over the rim. Shabazz [Napier] wasn't that explosive, but he had all the tricks to get by his man, and Jalen has a lot of tricks with him, too. He plays big like Kemba [Walker] did. He's got to prove himself to be in that category with those three, but he has a little bit of all of them with him."

Reaction Score
The kid is sensational. We have never had a guard who came in with as diverse a skillset as he has. I totally understand what KO is saying.

Reaction Score
who got a better pg rotation than gibbs and adams in d1. answer, nobody. Why? Because they aren't the same kind of prospect; one (gibbs) is a shot hunter who thrives making jump shots on any area of the floor (off the dribble, off the pnr when defender goes under, spot up) , adams is the physical specimen with gifted ball handling/playmaking ability coupled with a serious mean streak.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Great article. Love how he wants to be a true pg but can score when he wants

C

Chief00

Yes, those are the same things I and others saw in him this summer. He will play starter minutes.

Reaction Score
If he's as good as everyone is saying he would be a top 10 prospect. I've seen him play he's gonna be a good player but don't expect him to be a freshman phenom because their are holes in his game. Needs to improve shot, be more consistent on offense and more active on defense. Has the potential to be one of the better guards in the country two or three years from now but insanely high expectations are never good.

Reaction Score
If he's as good as everyone is saying he would be a top 10 prospect. I've seen him play he's gonna be a good player but don't expect him to be a freshman phenom because their are holes in his game. Needs to improve shot, be more consistent on offense and more active on defense. Has the potential to be one of the better guards in the country two or three years from now but insanely high expectations are never good.
he's a blue chip prospect, and he is a stud. 6'2 with long arms and crazy bounce of 1 or 2 legs. he is a wizard with the ball in the open court and takes pride in his game. He's not gonna be here in 3 years fyi

Reaction Score
He's a great prospect with a great shot at being an NBA player one day but expecting him to be a mixture of kemba and shabazz as a freshman is a little ridiculous. I think he's gonna be a great 2-3 year player who will be able to take over games by the end of his career at uconn. Right now he's probably not very close to as good as junior year kemba and senior shabazz but he has the potential to be that good. My point is their will be a learning curve, don't expect him to dominant right off the bat

Reaction Score
He's a great prospect with a great shot at being an NBA player one day but expecting him to be a mixture of kemba and shabazz as a freshman is a little ridiculous. I think he's gonna be a great 2-3 year player who will be able to take over games by the end of his career at uconn. Right now he's probably not very close to as good as junior year kemba and senior shabazz but he has the potential to be that good. My point is their will be a learning curve, don't expect him to dominant right off the bat
Who is expecting him to be a mixture of Kemba and Shabazz as a freshman? I haven't heard that from anyone.

Reaction Score
Nobody is even saying all of that, why invent an argument? KO is saying he has all of their traits, not that he's as good as all of them right now.

caw

Reaction Score

A mixture of Junior Kemba and Senior Shabazz (and only their good points) is silly, I agree. However, a mixture of Freshman Kemba and Freshman Shabazz, both good and bad, I think is very realistic.

Reaction Score
Who is expecting him to be a mixture of Kemba and Shabazz as a freshman? I haven't heard that from anyone.
It was an exaggeration, people on the Boneyard compared rock lubin to Dejuan Blair, Rodney purvis to D Wade etc... People on the boneyard love setting insane expectations. If Jalen's is a solid role player this season averaging 8 or 9 points per game and a couple of assists I'd be thrilled. No need to compare him to kemba/bazz, his game is very different from both.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It was an exaggeration, people on the Boneyard compared rock lubin to Dejuan Blair, Rodney purvis to D Wade etc... People on the boneyard love setting insane expectations. If Jalen's is a solid role player this season averaging 8 or 9 points per game and a couple of assists I'd be thrilled. No need to compare him to kemba/bazz, his game is very different from both.
lol no one is comparing him just stop it... from the bosses mouth "He's got to prove himself to be in that category with those three, but he has a little bit of all of them with him."

Reaction Score

I think "people" would be an exaggeration in regard to comparing Rock to Blair and Rodney to DWade. I think it may have been ONE person and he probably tried each of the beers from the "Best Beers" thread that day before posting.

The Shabazz/Kemba/Boat comparisons are way off I think by the conference schedule he will be a combination of Russell Westbrook and Damian Lillard.;)

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
from adams

"I watched them all a lot," Adams said. "I watched Shabazz, because he was from my hometown and everybody in Boston was going crazy. I want to take stuff from all of them. Kemba, I want to take his aggressiveness and creativity. Shabazz, his pull-up jump shot and how he's a leader, and Boat, also, how he's a great leader and gets everybody involved."

did you read it at all?

Reaction Score

Considering that it was the head coach who compared him to Kemba and Bazz, I would say the ensuing commentary has been pretty reasonable. As @caw says, it's probably not that farfetched to think he can be a combination of freshman Bazz and freshman Kemba.

@James what are the chances he's one and done?

Reaction Score
What do you mean no one is comparing him..everyone is comparing him to kemba and shabazz and I don't think that's fair because he has a different style than both. Every hightly ranked point guard commit we get will be compared to kemba and bazz on the boneyard even if they play nothing a like. It's kind of irritating

Reaction Score
What do you mean no one is comparing him..everyone is comparing him to kemba and shabazz and I don't think that's fair because he has a different style than both. Every hightly ranked point guard commit we get will be compared to kemba and bazz on the boneyard even if they play nothing a like. It's kind of irritating

Not irritating just kind of natural because we are UConn fans. The crazy thing is I'm still searching to see who did besides KO who started it all in the article anyway?

Reaction Score
He said he wants to take things from his game. Jalen himself said he plays much different than shabazz
from adams

"I watched them all a lot," Adams said. "I watched Shabazz, because he was from my hometown and everybody in Boston was going crazy. I want to take stuff from all of them. Kemba, I want to take his aggressiveness and creativity. Shabazz, his pull-up jump shot and how he's a leader, and Boat, also, how he's a great leader and gets everybody involved."

did you read it at all?
Jalen said he wants to take things from his game...Jalen himself said his game is much different than shabazz's

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
you hijacked this thread. this was a great article that has a lot of nice quotes... you didnt even read it and decided to create an issue that didnt need to be created... no one is comparing, people like ollie just said, have said they see some of kemba bazz and boat in his game... no one said hes going to be them... he's his own player and said he wants to be a true pg

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
this would be nice if he can develop his game to see the court

"I want to develop into a true point guard," Adams said. "I know, in the NBA, it's transition and there aren't many true point guards, but I want to be a true point guard and always have that scoring mentality in my back pocket."

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams= a little bit of Kemba, Shabazz, Boatright.
Kemba had 1 title, Shabazz had 2 titles, Boatright had 1 title=4 titles.
Jalen Adams will win 4 titles at UConn.

If Jalen Adams wins 2 titles at UC he will never get a chance at 3 never mind 4, but I like the way you think.

Reaction Score
Not irritating just kind of natural because we are UConn fans. The crazy thing is I'm still searching to see who did besides KO who started it all in the article anyway?
Clearly haven't read anything on the boneyard about Jalen or alterique everyone says next boat shabazz kemba etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom