KML's injury and a very strange game for UConn.... | The Boneyard

KML's injury and a very strange game for UConn....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
KML's injury really made last night's victory over #3 Stanford hard to enjoy. But the night was so very strange in several other ways. Consider the following:
1. UConn opened the game shooting 1 for 10, and was still tied.
2. On a team with KML, Stewie and Hartley, the first 3 pt basket was scored by a freshman. The next, as well.
3. Two UConn players combined to go 11-12 from the free throw line. Both are centers.
4. Three UConn players led the team w/ a pair of 3's, but none were named Kaleena or Stewart.
5. The only double-double for UConn was by Kiah Stokes. (13 rebs & 10 points)
6. The four UConn starters other than Hartley went 9-29 including 1-13 from 3 pt range, but UConn won in easy fashion.
7. In the first half of a close game against the #3 team, UConn had Stokes, Tuck and Chong playing together. And their lead got bigger.
8. Hartley and freshman Chong played 55 minutes and had only 1 turnover between them. Stewie had 3 in 17 minutes.
9. Tuck, Stokes and Chong played 59 minutes combined, scored 27 pts, grabbed 17 rebounds and had only 2 TO's.
10. In the 1st half, in just 36 seconds, Stokes had 2 rebounds, 1 block and made 4 free throws.

I'll take the victory, but mostly I just hope KML is able to recover quickly. Her Mom was in from California to see the game and had to witness that gruesome injury. Strange night....

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Chris Dailey sounded very pleased on the post-game show, other than Kaleena's injury of course. She said that the team didn't react well to Stanford's defense (playing off Moriah) but once they figured it out and started putting the ball on the floor, they played much better. She was thrilled with how Stokes and Morgan and Saniya played off the bench, Hartley was terrific pushing the ball and she was pleased with the defense and rebounding. She said they made Chiney work hard for her points.

Team is off today and will get together on Wed to prepare for the road trip to Md and PSU.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What your post indicates is the outstanding reserve of talent (if not quantity) on this team
and the degree that their inners strengths and the best coaching has brought them to a splendid moment.

That even on an evening in which four out of the five starters performed at a level below their best
(and Steff's defense on O goes a long way to forgiving her long range misses),
there were capable, ambitious, and altogether prepared alternates ready to pounce on the surprised foe.

Perhaps only Banks, from among that group seemed a little lost, certainly rust.

At the moment it's seven deep + Bank and the walk-ons.

Surely the best first seven in the country by a mile. Hopefully back to eight soon.

Reaction Score
Stanford played the same style of defense we've seen from a lot of teams when we had an unproven scorer on the perimeter. They simply picked the weakest link and used their defender to clog the paint. I can remember Tiff getting this treatment and she went off until teams started to guard her. Kelly certainly saw a lot of this type of treatment before she started to score a little better her junior and senoir years.

I think Mo can expect to be played this way until she proves she can knock down some shots. With a player like her who is quick, it helps the defender to play a few steps off anyway. I would hope that Mo can start to take and make some of those open shots.

Reaction Score
Hey, I think Stef has some real upside with her 3 point shooting. While they "clanked", they seemed like good shots within the flow of the game.

Good news: A big girl who's a legit 3 point threat, I can live with that. (and she has several months to work on it before it's really needed)

Bad News: I was frustrated we didn't seem to get many put-backs. Looked like we didn't try too aggressively (to my UN-TRAINED eye).

Reaction Score
Hey, I think Stef has some real upside with her 3 point shooting. While they "clanked", they seemed like good shots within the flow of the game.

Good news: A big girl who's a legit 3 point threat, I can live with that. (and she has several months to work on it before it's really needed)

Bad News: I was frustrated we didn't seem to get many put-backs. Looked like we didn't try too aggressively (to my UN-TRAINED eye).
You and Doris Burke have got to get together.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice OP David.
Stanford played the same style of defense we've seen from a lot of teams when we had an unproven scorer on the perimeter. They simply picked the weakest link and used their defender to clog the paint. I can remember Tiff getting this treatment and she went off until teams started to guard her. Kelly certainly saw a lot of this type of treatment before she started to score a little better her junior and senoir years.

I think Mo can expect to be played this way until she proves she can knock down some shots. With a player like her who is quick, it helps the defender to play a few steps off anyway. I would hope that Mo can start to take and make some of those open shots.
Jefferson's one basket came on a beautiful sweeping drive around CO when they were playing off her AND Uconn's other players cleared out of the lane enough to give her space - that is the other way MoJeff can hurt folks when they ignore her and she is quick enough to get around someone playing off as well.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
I saw a report that after the game that Bria Hartley said she talked to KML in the locker room and said she "seemed fine." Not sure what that meant exactly, but I also believe I read that KML was not taken to the hospital. Both little tidbits, if true, give some hope. I guess we'll have to wait until later to hear the extent of the injuries. They did say last night on ESPN2 that KML's elbow was very swollen.

Reaction Score
I read on Twitter that she was at the radiologist a couple of hours ago.. We'll see, I'm anxious to hear the reports... Meanwhile, I hope for the best for KML.

Reaction Score
I saw a report that after the game that Bria Hartley said she talked to KML in the locker room and said she "seemed fine." Not sure what that meant exactly, but I also believe I read that KML was not taken to the hospital. Both little tidbits, if true, give some hope. I guess we'll have to wait until later to hear the extent of the injuries. They did say last night on ESPN2 that KML's elbow was very swollen.
Geno did mention that Kaleena said, "I heard something." That's not encouraging.

Reaction Score
Geno did mention that Kaleena said, "I heard something." That's not encouraging.
Just watched several times and the noise you heard was exactly when her elbow not her hand hit the floor. hoping it is really a bad ( funnybone) bruise

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
John Altavilla‏@jaltavilla1h
@Kaleena23 Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis now top trending item on @YahooNews who said no one cares about women's hoops? Yahoo-ey

Retweet

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Chris Dailey sounded very pleased on the post-game show, other than Kaleena's injury of course. She said that the team didn't react well to Stanford's defense (playing off Moriah) but once they figured it out and started putting the ball on the floor, they played much better. She was thrilled with how Stokes and Morgan and Saniya played off the bench, Hartley was terrific pushing the ball and she was pleased with the defense and rebounding. She said they made Chiney work hard for her points.

Team is off today and will get together on Wed to prepare for the road trip to Md and PSU.

Maybe Dailey should have listened to Burke. They might have figured out Stanford's defense earlier in the game. :(

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I know I should just be patient with this, and let the KML update come out when it will, but I'm just very anxious.

Can't help it.

Reaction Score
Me too, and the fact that they are postponing the announcement (they first said it will be out at noon or something like that) is kind of worrying.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Me too, and the fact that they are postponing the announcement (they first said it will be out at noon or something like that) is kind of worrying.

It may be that there's still too much swelling for a good scan and they need to wait a bit longer for that reason.

Reaction Score
Just watched several times and the noise you heard was exactly when her elbow not her hand hit the floor. hoping it is really a bad ( funnybone) bruise
It was Kaleena that heard it. When I first saw it, I didn't think it looked that bad on her arm and thought the pain might be a funnybone issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom