KML Weathering the Storm | The Boneyard

KML Weathering the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Strange situation. I get that KML has defensive liabilities and would have a learning curve to get her shots. But I don't understand why the Storm drafted her and now are giving her so very few minutes. Obviously they knew about her and her conditioning before the draft. The Storm are a bad team going nowhere this season. Last night they really could have used some outside shooting but KML sat. Her numbers aren't good, but it is hard to imagine them getting better by sitting on the bench. Wonder if she is "in the doghouse" for some other reason.

Reaction Score
Really good article in today's Courant by Jeff Jacobs. I think she now knows she has to get her conditioning better and her defense. She's going overseas but not knowing where yet. She's only shooting 28% so that won't cut it for extra minutes. Jacobs also said it was a good thing she wasn't drafted by the Sun because everyone would be embarrassing her with questions every game why she isn't playing. KML says the need to adjust to the speed of the game is the hardest. I'm really hoping she makes it in this league. She has a huge weapon but she's also playing against elite athletes defending her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The importance of being leaner and fitter was certainly stressed to KML while at UConn but her playing time, her ability to make shots and her AA status were not in jeopardy. She's learned that pro basketball is a much faster and quicker game and she needs to improve her fitness if she wants to play. If a career in basketball is important to her, she'll make the necessary changes. It's not going to happen overnight, however.

I don't know what it means to say that it's highly unlikely she won't be on the Storm next year. Will the Storm cut her? Trade her? How does anyone know what will happen. The Storm would be wise to give her more than one season to figure things out.

Reaction Score
She isn't and will not be the first highly drafted player to sit. Every team were aware of immediate potential. My guess is that she has the year to sit and learn and, get her self ready for next season. The team will be upfront with her and will expect contribution in accord to her draft status.

Reaction Score
KML was the 3rd player drafted. I don't remember a player drafted that high who was sitting and learning the ins and outs of the game. Knowing Seattle's situation I would think they would have drafted a player who was ready to contribute. Did Seattle underestimate KML readiness for the pro game.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Did Seattle underestimate KML readiness for the pro game.
Can't imagine they did. Some of us on the board identified the challenges she was going to face, and I'm sure the Storm have equally talented observers. Perhaps they're hoping she'll get the message, talk to Maya, and come back transformed, winning MIP.

Reaction Score
KML was the 3rd player drafted. I don't remember a player drafted that high who was sitting and learning the ins and outs of the game. Knowing Seattle's situation I would think they would have drafted a player who was ready to contribute. Did Seattle underestimate KML readiness for the pro game.

I'm sure there are smarter people here who could readily provide a list- wo/men, etc. Today, it would come as a surprise to me if organizations are making that level of mistakes. Seattle is a lost cause this year (and maybe next). They have other players that they are eager to see compete. This why Sue is still there (as a teacher) then a contender for a playoff spot. Lloyd was always more readier to play and contribute at that level- perhaps expl her reasoning for leaving early. Yet, all would be disappointed if she showed up unready for training camp, next year. Afterall, she's a big girl now.

Reaction Score
http://snyuconn.com/uconn/kml-weathering-the-storm-with-seattle/

Will KML be on the Storm roster next year? With how this year is going, highly unlikely. She has not gotten off the bench in 7 of Seattle's 20 games. Averaging around 7 minutes per game and 2.9 PPG. Her shooting %'s are way off from her College Career.
Do you always have to play the overreaction card?

She was just taken 3rd in the draft. There's a 100% chance she'll be on their roster next year and given a chance to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom