Kind of OT: What shoes does the women's team wear? | The Boneyard

Kind of OT: What shoes does the women's team wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I see that they are Nike but I can't tell what kind.

Reaction Score
I see that they are Nike but I can't tell what kind.

I do not believe the team conforms to a uniform shoe; the players get to individually choose which Nike shoe they want to wear; A rare departure from uniformity, but it makes sense; Different shoes for different abilities, desires, tastes, comfort, superstitions, etc.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I do not believe the team conforms to a uniform shoe; the players get to individually choose which Nike shoe they want to wear; A rare departure from uniformity, but it makes sense; Different shoes for different abilities, desires, tastes, comfort, superstitions, etc.

I'm not sure that is true. A couple of years ago there was some discussion here regarding Nike shoes. I ended up contacting Nike to try to find out if the shoes were individually customized. IIRC the team wears a standard shoe furnished by Nike. I do seem to remember one player that wore a different shoe because of her foot size/shape.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that is true. A couple of years ago there was some discussion here regarding Nike shoes. I ended up contacting Nike to try to find out if the shoes were individually customized. IIRC the team wears a standard shoe furnished by Nike. I do seem to remember one player that wore a different shoe because of her foot size/shape.
Kelly

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, it was Kelly who was a particularly difficult fit because she was guarding people so close she was often in their shoes.

The team receives several different shoes/models during the season often wearing brand new shoes/models for major nationally broadcast games.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My guess is that the team is wearing Hyperdunks. According to Nike's web site they only offer two wbb team shoes, Hyperdunks and Hyperquickness. The Hyperdunk allows for some degree of customization.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do worry about the 'team' shoe concept as shoe fit, comfort, and support is such an individual issue and so important to a player's health and performance. We had some discussions about the issues around pink shoes for Breast Cancer awareness month and a marked drop in some players shooting percentages last year (or the year before.) I can understand the desire for uniformity and certainly wanting color scheme to match, but deferring to marketing dollars over player health/comfort is a concern. Just looking at body type on the current team it is hard to believe that the shoe designed for Stef specifically vs. the shoe designed for MoJeff specifically would likely be very different - the weight and force distribution has to be significantly different - it would be nice if they could chose from a variety of shoes even if they were not individually customized.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think the players have a lot less concern about shoes than the BY.
Most have not lived long enough to have known and experienced the differences good footwear can make.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Most have not lived long enough to have known and experienced the differences good footwear can make.
I imagine they have pretty good footwear.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
All I can say is I cannot wear Nikes nor Reeboks, I need a high toe box and a narrow width in a 12 and New Balance is the only shoe where I can find those regularly.

Played in Chuck Taylor's as a kid in high school their minimal arch worked fine for my flat feet. Thought the $10 a pair was outrageous at the time and that was with the team discount from $12.95.

Reaction Score
KML, Bria, Chong - Nike Hyperdunk 2013
Stewart, Dolson, Tuck, Stokes, Banks, Jefferson, Pulido, Lawler - Nike Zoom Soldier 7

All customized in UConn colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak