Kiah Stokes is putting up some very solid numbers | The Boneyard

Kiah Stokes is putting up some very solid numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There are many things I'm appreciating about what Kiah is doing statistically. Here a few observations:

• Of the 18 games UConn has played this season, Kiah has been the leading Husky rebounder in nine of them, or fully half.
  • In fact, Kiah has the highest number of rebounds on the team this season.
  • Kiah is also by far the leading shot blocker. In fact she's doubling the #2 Husky in this statistical category. Specifically, Kiah has 80 blocks, whereas Stewie has 40!
  • Speaking of blocks, she passed Stef Dolson to become the #4 blocker all time for UConn. At the rate she's going, she will almost certainly surpass Tina Charles for #3 all time.
  • Her ATO ratio isn't exactly MoJeff-worthy, but she does have more assists than turnovers, albeit barely. Not bad at all for a backup post player.
  • Her FG percentage is up to 52.8%. The team as a whole is shooting an amazing 53.5%, but Kiah is at worst only marginally hurting that average.
  • Her three-point percentage is 50%, which is good for #2 on the team. ;)
Kiah was the heir apparent to be a starting post, but she's doing her job admirably well in any event...

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
She's a reliable contributor and is having a wonderful season. It's a joy to watch her box out and grab rebounds as if the basketball belonged to her personally and to appear out of nowhere to swat away an unsuspecting opponent's shot. We're lucky to have her on our side.

punchjur

NYC Fan
Reaction Score
I sincerely believe that any one of our top seven players (the starting five plus Kiah and Gabby) would be a starter on any other team in the country if they played there - including South Carolina, Notre Dame, Baylor and Tennessee. Remember, all seven of those players have a shooting percentage in excess of .525 %. That's pretty phenomenal.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
One of her blocks last night was more like a volleyball spike. A kill, even. The ball went ::smack:: when she hit it.

Maybe I should turn it into a PON and say that she should have grabbed it or directed it to a teammate! What was she thinking!

:)

Reaction Score
Remember, all seven of those players have a shooting percentage in excess of .525 %. That's pretty phenomenal.

While I don't want to diss the players, I think the shooting percentage has a lot to do with Geno. He and the coaches have created a system and an offense focused on getting players good shots, and in not taking bad ones. I think most of these players would have lower shooting percentages if they played for other coaches.

Reaction Score
And maybe even Saniya!
Why the need to throw Saniya in there, unrealistically. Saniya certainly would start for some teams in women's basketball but to suggest that she'd start for any team isn't even close to reality. The arguments for the others is a pretty sound one although there might be an exception or two for one of those previously mentioned ladies. The gist of the statement is that we are blessed to have some exceptional talent on this team and some fine, very representative ladies. We should rejoice.

Reaction Score
We're going to miss Kiah dearly next year. Having her defense is just so comforting. Her present is a huge intimidation to anyone dares to penetrate the paint.
I was going to note exactly what you've said. We are going to have a phenomenal team next year but there will be no one to give us what we've gotten from Kiah this year and in previous years. The fact that she's got a possibility of being the 3rd leading shot blocker in UConn history despite the fact that she's only been a part time player for most of her Huskie career, speaks volumes. She is almost never even close to being in foul trouble even though she's quite aggressive on the defensive side. She's just a marvelous athlete and as mentioned, will be missed bunches.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Um, Natalie Butler. She may not be the shot blocker that Kiah is, but she'll do a fine job as the last line of defense.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I would add that you can't measure how much Kiah affects the opponent's offense just by being in the paint. I've seen so many players drive to the paint, see Kiah, then do a U-turn. She shuts down a lot of fast breaks and impedes what the other team wants to do. The only other player I can remember that had such an intimidating effect on the other team is probably Kara Wolters. That intimidation comes in really handy because Geno is playing so many young players whose defense still need to be honed.

Reaction Score
The only person that can be compared to Kiah Stokes IMO was Emeka Okafor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom