Kia Nurse | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Opposing players who are guarded by Kia and Moriah are going to be prone to major meltdowns. :) I can just see the frustration on their face.

Reaction Score
Opposing players who are guarded by Kia and Moriah are going to be prone to major meltdowns. :) I can just see the frustration on their face.
The UCONN press should be a thing of beauty...

Reaction Score
My favorite play of the game Monday night was as Diggins was driving to the left of the basket she got so frustrated with Kia, she gave a significant forearm to Kia's chest. And Kia immediately returned the favor with a forearm to Diggins chest. Play on!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really liked the window into Kia's game we got and she was impressive defensively - there had been a quote from one of her Canadian teammates a while ago saying how frustrating she was to play against and you could see a few moments of that in the game. It was hard to get a handle on Kia's speed, but reports are both straight line and hand speed are near the top of the range.
Uconn with Jefferson and Chong plus the four freshman will be able to apply more pressure defense this year with Kiah and Breanna in the back prepared to protect the basket should some team be able to occasionally break through the pressure.

Reaction Score
  • Asia Durr and Angela Salvadores - welcome to world of defense. MoJeff and Kia Nurse are (and will be) two of the best lock down guard defenders in the country. And both at UConn. Wow!! Geno has really hit the jackpot with these next two recruiting classes.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
My favorite play of the game Monday night was as Diggins was driving to the left of the basket she got so frustrated with Kia, she gave a significant forearm to Kia's chest. And Kia immediately returned the favor with a forearm to Diggins chest. Play on!

As Carl Adamec wrote after describing that sequence: And somewhere there were Huskies’ supporters wondering where more of that was from Nurse’s predecessors in the 2010-2013 time frame.

I agree with Carl. Imagine what Taurasi or Shea would have done if they had watched Diggins preen around Gampel declaring it to be "my ___ing house." That's what I mean by edge. We haven't seen it in a few years.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As Carl Adamec wrote after describing that sequence: And somewhere there were Huskies’ supporters wondering where more of that was from Nurse’s predecessors in the 2010-2013 time frame.

I agree with Carl. Imagine what Taurasi or Shea would have done if they had watched Diggins preen around Gampel declaring it to be "my ___ing house." That's what I mean by edge. We haven't seen it in a few years.

Have we forgotten Stacy "Bam-Bam" Hansmeyer? Jamelle Elliott? or angelic Meghan Gardler?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Have we forgotten Stacy "Bam-Bam" Hansmeyer? Jamelle Elliott? or angelic Meghan Gardler?
And as I recall at least one of the Valley girls was not a shrinking violet while on the court!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
And as I recall at least one of the Valley girls was not a shrinking violet while on the court!

Morgan is now teaching Hokies how to deliver bone-crunching screens from the high post as an assistant coach at Virginia Tech.

Reaction Score
from Jim Fuller's blog: http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2014/09/special-night-for-future-uconn-teammates.html

Dolson mentioned that more than one player on the U.S. bench raved about what they saw from the 18-year-old Nurse.

"She is definitely a big guard, she brings a lot and is skilled player," U.S. guard Lindsay Whalen said. "She has a very big future, it will be fun to see her grow and continue to get better. She is going to have a chance her with the national team to keep getting better and play against some great competition."

Reaction Score
from Jim Fuller's blog: http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2014/09/special-night-for-future-uconn-teammates.html

Dolson mentioned that more than one player on the U.S. bench raved about what they saw from the 18-year-old Nurse.

"She is definitely a big guard, she brings a lot and is skilled player," U.S. guard Lindsay Whalen said. "She has a very big future, it will be fun to see her grow and continue to get better. She is going to have a chance her with the national team to keep getting better and play against some great competition."
How great is it to hear players like Lindsey speaking in those positive terms about a young girl who has yet to start her freshman year at UConn. Does that bode well for us or WHAT!!! Her international experience is going to really show heavily in her play this freshman year. I think all the positive talk we heard before she actually committed to UConn about her play and her maturity were totally correct. I have no question she'll be getting a considerable amount of playing time this year though I am confident she won't be the only freshman to do so. I think Geno will find a way to get these young women experience in a number of games that are won early. I'm pumped about this year for so many reasons. To have such a talented class of guards coming in is awesome and the experience they gain this year on top of the stupendous class we get next year is going to have Tony searching for adjectives for the dominance of UConn women's basketball over the next four or five years plus.

Reaction Score
I was most encouraged by Nurse making perimeter shots last night. That has been a question mark based on what I've seen from her. The FIBA 3-point line is beyond the NCAA line. Team Canada also runs a similar offense to what Geno runs so she'll be used to the concepts. It's hard not to be excited about the type of player she can become under Geno's tutelage and playing with a terrific group of college players. I can hear Doris Burke now: "pro-ready body; comports herself beyond her years."
How great is that to hear about an incoming recruit. The part about "maturity beyond her years" almost would suggest someone like Sue Bird who from the first moment on the court at Storrs comported herself in that very same manner. I'm not necessarily suggesting the she would ever be the player that Sue was but really, who knows????? I don't think you can ever have too many good guards who play stellar defense. Beyond that, her being a six footer will be helpful because opposing guards continue to get bigger and bigger.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Well, much to my surprise, I haven't seen a single "Nurse is over-rated" comment but then I don't visit the orange board.

Reaction Score
I was most encouraged by Nurse making perimeter shots last night. That has been a question mark based on what I've seen from her. The FIBA 3-point line is beyond the NCAA line. Team Canada also runs a similar offense to what Geno runs so she'll be used to the concepts. It's hard not to be excited about the type of player she can become under Geno's tutelage and playing with a terrific group of college players. I can hear Doris Burke now: "pro-ready body; comports herself beyond her years."
How great is that to hear about an incoming recruit. The part about "maturity beyond her years" almost would suggest someone like Sue Bird who from the first moment on the court at Storrs comported herself in that very same manner. I'm not necessarily suggesting the she would ever be the player that Sue was but really, who knows????? I don't think you can ever have too many good guards who play stellar defense. Beyond that, her being a six footer will be helpful because opposing guards continue to get bigger and bigger.

Reaction Score
It's a tuff job but Tony will do it.;)
You are Sooooooooooooo right! I've never met anyone so positive but a great deal of his hyperbole is totally justified. Geno and Chris have kicked butt for many years to make this far and away the best women's basketball program in the history of women's college basketball. Who would have thought that in 1989 or 1990, just a few short years into their coaching career???? They had attained some success, to be sure, but to have expected then what really kicked in a few short years later, would have been considered far fetched. Kerry Bascom really was the catalyst, more than Rebecca, into transforming UConn in the minds and hearts of people outside of New England. Were there no Kerry Bascom, there would not have been a Rebecca Lobo.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I actually think in terms of maturity Nurse is probably further advanced than Sue was - skills is another story.
And while Nurse is obviously getting the attention right now, I am really curious to see how Ekmark handles this first year as she too has traveled a much different road than most college freshman.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw the comment from Lindsay a couple of days ago and thought it was nice. It just hit me that the source of the remark is a hockey player and arguably the most hard-nosed guard around. To me, that makes the remark more impressive.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
MilfordHusky said:
I saw the comment from Lindsay a couple of days ago and thought it was nice. It just hit me that the source of the remark is a hockey player and arguably the most hard-nosed guard around. To me, that makes the remark more impressive.

Lindsay is a bit of a bull in a china shop, isn't she?

In a good way. :)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Lindsay is a bit of a bull in a china shop, isn't she?

In a good way. :)
I'll bet Geno would have LOVED to coach Lindsey in college. His kind of player. "When they smack you, you smack 'em back!"

Reaction Score
Lindsey kind of has a similar game to Jason Kidd....selfless and a winner.... HOF lock

Reaction Score

Did you say "comported"? Only teasing.

Reaction Score
For a teenanger to be playing against Professional Womens BB players I thought Kia Nurse was terrific. She had good poise, she handled the pressure and provide pressure on defense. She is experienced at the next level and she hasnt played a college game yet. I like what I saw. She hit her open shots and handled the ball very well and shes only a teenager. We've got a good point guard for then next 4 years.
We really only saw her in a half-court style game. Canada couldn't afford to try to run with the US team. College will be much different, including officiating. That said, I suspected she would be a starter this year based on what I had already read on the Canadian national team. It might be hard to move MJ out of the point though.

Reaction Score
A female John Ferguson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox