Kia Nurse to UCONN -- or not | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse to UCONN -- or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The promising start on the first good and interesting thread on this general topic got started with either an insider tip or an erroneous rumor, depending on your point of view. (From what we've read since, it sounds to me more like the latter.) Rather quickly, the thread became a debate on ratings/ranking..... and the original topic got lost in the shuffle. So to get up to date and back in focus, how about building on an exercise our group of fans went thru post-game tonight here at the house:

With the Penn State game now in the rear view mirror, and with Nurse in attendance at that game, and with our intrepid prognosticators fresh off some great and reassuring predictions re the scores of the games in which two or our best players have been on the shelf: what is your prediction about where Nurse will matriculate and WHY? Indiana? PSU? UCONN? Wherever else?

And, do you care? and WHY?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
If Geno wants her at UConn, I want her at UConn. Washington is a good coach, and Nurse would clearly get to play a lot there, but as a potential Olympian, I would want to play for the coach of the best team in the world.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Just don't have a handle on this one…can go either way.
Cat's reasonable analysis in the other thread gives one pause.

Reaction Score
While I, as well as all board poster do, would like to see Nurse here at UCONN and hopes she makes that decision, I personally don't think it good form to start a guessing game this late in her decision making process. Let's show her some respect and hope see chooses UCONN.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
She can choose to be Maggie Lucas or Bria Hartley. Depends on the size of puddle she prefers. Or thinks she will prefer.

HGN

Reaction Score
Let's be patient and wait another 72hrs as the Nurse family requested....When she is expected to make a decision....In the mean time we can hope.

Reaction Score
While I, as well as all board poster do, would like to see Nurse here at UCONN and hopes she makes that decision, I personally don't think it good form to start a guessing game this late in her decision making process. Let's show her some respect and hope see chooses UCONN.

MM - no disrespect intended for you (if I felt disrespect, I'd declare it) and certainly not for the recruit, but isn't this sort of discussion some of the essence of a sports forum? Speculation (who will win this or that....who will be the MVP) and disagreement over things that are basically opinion vs. hard scientific fact (who was better, Mays or DiMaggio).

One can come down on the side of Willie without "disrespecting" Joe in rendering that opinion. One can opine that Lewis will be the POY without intending any disrespect for Stewart, among others. You can think that UCONN will beat Maryland by 17 or 5 without disrespecting Maryland.

And, I doubt that any of us are thinking that our guess on this topic is going to influence the
Let's be patient and wait another 72hrs as the Nurse family requested....When she is expected to make a decision....In the mean time we can hope.

Nurse family....they certainly seem very thoughtful and mature from all I've read.

Reaction Score

HGN: usually see things pretty much eye-to-eye with you, I've noticed. But on this, my take differs. I have NOT read anywhere (might have missed it, but have paid a lot of attention to this recruiting process) where the family has "requested" anyone to refrain from any speculation or to "Wait another 72 hours". ( For one thing, they don't have to request that; the ball is in their court and we have no choice but to wait until they make a decision known, whether that is 72 hours or next August or so. ) I'm just tryin to fill in the time until they do announce as I'm way beyond eager to know her choice.....I want her in the red, white and blue. And I always find it reassuring to read what our score prognosticators say, as I never take any opponent for granted and am always concerned about how any given game will go. Whether you agree or not, do you understand where I'm coming from on this?

I HAVE read that the family has said no decision has been reached and that they anticipate a decision early this coming week. To me, two different kettles of fish between requesting fans to be patient and not speculate..... and saying that there is as yet no decision to announce .............BUT that's what makes a sports forum, in part....different points of view.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Or continue to post about it. And also hope.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
PSU is a great school with great athletic facilities in the middle of nowhere with a good basketball program and a very good coach, and it is about a five hour drive from home for Nurse.
Uconn is a very good school with really good athletic facilities with a great basketball program and the best women's coach in the world, and is about a ten hour drive from home but has a better airport closer to the campus.
I don't really think she could go wrong with either choice, but I am biased toward Uconn.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
PSU is a great school with great athletic facilities in the middle of nowhere with a good basketball program and a very good coach, and it is about a five hour drive from home for Nurse.
Uconn is a very good school with really good athletic facilities with a great basketball program and the best women's coach in the world, and is about a ten hour drive from home but has a better airport closer to the campus.
I don't really think she could go wrong with either choice, but I am biased toward Uconn.

Slight quibble, it's a 7-hour drive from Storrs to Hamilton.

Another factor is who she'd be playing with which, of course, cuts two ways. She'd have a chance to play one year with KML, Banks and Stokes and 2 years with Stewie, Morgan and Moriah, and 3 years with Saniya. She'd be joining a class of (at least) 3 highly ranked recruits and could be part of an amazing group of guards. At the same time, she's used to playing a lot and she'll have to fight hard for minutes. I don't see a lot of talent on Penn State's roster next year so she'd be able to start and play a lot as a freshman. I imagine it'll be a tough call.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No idea where she chooses. I'm inclined to think nothing she saw in the game would change her mind. But with regards to her talent, I really believe she's one of the top 5 kids in the class. She will be a special player in college. Mark my words. No matter where she goes...

Reaction Score
It doesn't look good. Just too many guards here, not that I think she is afraid of competing for play time, but she would start immediately and PS is a good program. It is also closer to home. Playing in the Big Ten would also allow her parents to see her play more. I hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score
Well, we will find out (soon), won't we! My idle speculation is that she would like to come here, but (as one previous comment noted) playing time can only be a factor. At PS, it will be her show. I don't that the Canadians want their guard coming off the bench or playing under 20 minutes. Of course she might be replacing Bria with Mo and Chong sharing the PG and the 3 others in her class fighting for time. But what about Banks? Most think that she is better than the other incoming guards- but what if she really isn't? Perhaps Geno thinks that she is a wing, might be KML replacement. Personally, I think we want to train her and send her back to CA as a mole- they will be the 2nd best team, but everytime we go up against them we can defuse their Nurse.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Isn't this great. We are debating about some of the best guards coming out of HS. We want them all and they all want to play for UConn. Playtime could be an issue and it should be however look at how much playtime the freshman got last season and this season. Playtime really isn't an issue. The development of the kids coming in is.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How many Penn State students or grads were invited to the USA training camp this fall? I suspect, nonetheless, that this is one of those oh so close calls that is being decided by intangibles other than basketball.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Are there any other names in Canada that are on the hoops radar? Walz said in his post game interview that he was leaving OK to recruit, driving to Dalllas, going to NY and then on to Canada Monday night, Tuesday.
I cannot imagine who else he would be in Canada for, although, I have not heard Louisville mentioned in the same sentence as Nurse for months now.

Reaction Score
Nurse would be a great addition to the 2014 recruiting class, with four exciting, highly skilled guards. Is this an embarrassment of riches? As we have seen with our current senior class which started with 5 and is left with Steph and Bria, you can never have too many great players. If she comes great; if not we will still have all the ingredients to reach another NC....

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Isn't this great. We are debating about some of the best guards coming out of HS. We want them all and they all want to play for UConn. Playtime could be an issue and it should be however look at how much playtime the freshman got last season and this season. Playtime really isn't an issue. The development of the kids coming in is.
My feelings exactly.It is common knowledge that to get playing time here,you work your butt off in practice and pay attention to what is being taught to you.Whether there is 2 guards or 8 guards on the team,if they all show good work and attention in practice,the coach will get them game time.What a luxury that would be,if every guard that signs with the team works hard and impresses the coaching staff,and the coaches could bring them into the games like waves on an ocean.

U

UCONNfan1

It doesn't look good. Just too many guards here, not that I think she is afraid of competing for play time, but she would start immediately and PS is a good program. It is also closer to home. Playing in the Big Ten would also allow her parents to see her play more. I hope I am wrong.
Agreed. It looks awful for UCONN. ;) Or maybe we should say awful for UCONN opponents.

Reaction Score
Lookin more and more like an "insider tip, " eh?? :) :rolleyes: :) Oh Canada.....VOWELGUY get busy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom