Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 83 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Notre Dame doesn't care, nor should they.

They have all the leverage here - not some, not most....all of it.

The only way they're pushed into a conference is if the networks broadcasting the playoffs somehow lose their mind and agree to a scenario where Notre Dame is excluded.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame doesn't care, nor should they.

They have all the leverage here - not some, not most....all of it.

The only way they're pushed into a conference is if the networks broadcasting the playoffs somehow lose their mind and agree to a scenario where Notre Dame is excluded.

Isn't the network broadcasting the playoffs ESPN, who has a vested interest in ND joining the ACC?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We should pay attention because they are our "partners". But it will take more then coaches to perk ears up, AD's or Presidents then that would be a cold splash of water.

I have to admit this was quicker then what I imagined for the complaining to begin, new it would come just not so soon.
I have to say I love the ND can turn a deaf ear to this stuff. It is maddening when it impacts you but entertaining otherwise.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Where's Conspiracy Kitty when you need him?!
Sitting back and enjoying the show...

MOVIE.jpg

Reaction Score
Those comments would be like if Brian Kelly were asked about his team this year, and said:

"I think that all schools should be independent, never play FCS schools and should have to snare their own individual TV contracts."

That would go over well, be as relevant as the responses to the questions asked of Pinkel and Dabo and would have the same amount of impact as these coaches' statements.

This is all just a bunch of hot air by some coaches. It is slow news time in July, that is when Notre Dame is mentioned to polarize people and give them something to talk about until the season starts.

Tempest in a teapot.

"full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'd agree - Notre Dame is the one program that is far more interesting off the field than they are on it. They lend themselves to summer stories.

Once the season starts, attention will shift back to the stronger programs.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I could see a scenario where ND is forced to join a conference. They will not be good enough on the field, where it counts, to avoid that scenario.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Notre Dame has 20 returning starters and a great chance at going to the Playoff this season.

A 13th game is stupid - they could schedule any road apple. Would it make Dabo happy if they dismantled Furman.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Should be obvious... ACC coaches want to improve their SOS by getting more ND games for the league. Not because they're primarily concerned with the league's SOS / RPI, but with their own team's SOS / RPI.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Should be obvious... ACC coaches want to improve their SOS by getting more ND games for the league. Not because they're primarily concerned with the league's SOS / RPI, but with their own team's SOS / RPI.

Also if ND remains independent it provides an "out" for teams like Texas and a few others who could go that route. Texas, USC, FSU, and a few others all would do very well as independents. Getting ND into the ACC (or at least a conference) helps take away that option.

Plus a quick side note people aren't considering is if independents have to join a conference maybe we have a shot at adding Army/Air Force football only. Having all 3 acadamies would actually increase our TV value.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Army had to quit CUSA because they couldn't compete. Can we please stop?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Was speaking strictly from a Fiscal/TV stand point if Independents are forced to join a conference. Having Army/Navy alone as an AAC game boosts the league's TV contract.

Reaction Score

If Navy can, Army can. Any discrepancy in performance between the two programs for the past 10-15 year is driven by internal institutional decisions, not externalities. I think it would be great if all three service academies landed in the AAC, whether or not we are there. As long as we are there, it would be fun.

Reaction Score
Army's football team sucks, but they're still a national brand that people watch. Their attendance would have ranked something like third in the AAC last year, and they've played in one bowl game in roughly two decades.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If ND is undefeated or there aren't two many one loss teams, they get in the playoff.

The drama comes when the committee has to choose between a P5 team and ND for the last two spots. Who does the committee favor and who on the committee goes to bat for ND?

The B12 is tearing itself apart because they were snubbed one season. If the playoff stands at 4, ND might, MIGHT, join a conference. If it goes to 8, the school will close before doing so.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Was speaking strictly from a Fiscal/TV stand point if Independents are forced to join a conference. Having Army/Navy alone as an AAC game boosts the league's TV contract.

Nobody can force anyone to join a conference.

Divide the Army/Navy game money by 14 and let me know why I would care?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nobody watches Army games. Their TV contract is held by a network that isn't even rated. People watch Army and Navy once a year.

Army in the AAC is pure unadulterated insanity.

Reaction Score
If you're a uconn fan there is one reason to want army in the conference. Its close by.

Reaction Score
Nobody watches Army games. Their TV contract is held by a network that isn't even rated. People watch Army and Navy once a year.

Army in the AAC is pure unadulterated insanity.

Army/Navy draws great ratings. I think the TV contract was worth $5 million/yr, but Forbes magazine said, based on ratings, the game is worth at least $10 mill./yr. In addition, Army/Air Force gets a decent rating. Throw in that playing Army is going to attract more fans than say playing Tulane. Thus, Army would be an OK football addition, certainly better than most other available options. Plus, having 2 service acadamies would make the AAC less likely to be disowned by P5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom