Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 78 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm hoping it's a situation where UConn football just needs to appear adequate, the way Rutgers was adequate.

i.e. - Oklahoma decides to go B1G, paired with UConn it's a football brand plus a basketball brand.

Reaction Score
I guess. It wouldn't hurt to be good, that is for sure. But if we were really good, I don't think its necessarily a game changer for our situation. It hasn't helped Boise St. Pitt, Syracuse and Rutgers aren't particularly great at football and they found P5 love. To some degree, our football will always be looked at like Marshal, Hawaii or Northwestern in that even when we have a few good years, that everyone will be waiting for the good times to end because of the lower level recruiting available to us in the NE.

The reason to add UConn will always be for all the other sports and for a presence in the NE with a flagship university. We offer an interesting place for the alumni of other schools to visit.

Agree. Our football situation may have played a role (negative - more likely) in regard to ACC acceptance. It probably plays a lesser role in regard to B12 acceptance and virtually no role in B1G acceptance. UConn football does not move the needle when you are within the scope of Ohio St, Michigan etc. football.

The most significant thing that UConn has done to get into the B1G, I believe, is that they have made a sincere and serious, though not public, overture to join the conference. This is exactly what differentiated Rutgers from UConn during the time of CR. It paid off for Rutgers, though it took time. The same I hope and expect will happen with UConn.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Agree. Our football situation may have played a role (negative - more likely) in regard to ACC acceptance. It probably plays a lesser role in regard to B12 acceptance and virtually no role in B1G acceptance. UConn football does not move the needle when you are within the scope of Ohio St, Michigan etc. football.

The most significant thing that UConn has done to get into the B1G, I believe, is that they have made a sincere and serious, though not public, overture to join the conference. This is exactly what differentiated Rutgers from UConn during the time of CR. It paid off for Rutgers, though it took time. The same I hope and expect will happen with UConn.
... and you know about this overture, how?

Reaction Score
His name is housekeys. All he has to do is sign up for twitter and he's automatically a "key tweet"-er.
mckayla-maroney-meme-getty.jpg

Reaction Score
I do not know anything, and I doubt there is anyone at this site who knows, so perhaps my wording misled you.

But, do you really need to have inside information to come to the conclusion that UConn must have "inquired" about a B1G invite?

Bottom line is, if you do not formally ask, you will not get a formal invite. You think that while UConn and its fans where fawning over an ACC invite, the B1G was scrapping plans to invite UConn? UConn was not on the B1G radar and the only way to get on the B1G radar is to make it known you want to be on the B1G radar.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm mentally preparing to refresh The Boneyard and seeing Cinci, UCF, Memphis, BYU to the Big12.

What I do after that is anyone's guess.

I will burn something, throw something, and then kick something. And I would start a petition to remove the CR thread from the Yard.

Reaction Score
Does anyone really think Boren made this noise because he desperately wants to add Cincy, Memphis, or UCF? Please. His main goal is to further fragment an already fragmented Big12. OU wants out. OU doesn't want to play Memphis on a Sat in October. I think what Cowherd said makes perfect sense, at least from an OU standpoint. Like A&M, I think OU has had it with Texas and wants to stop playing under their shadow(but will gladly play them annually at the Texas state fair.) Whats the best way to do this? Bring up expansion, which Texas doesn't want. Better yet, bring it up while mentioning schools that add no additional value whatsoever to the LHN.

I think you are close. Lets hope internal swabbles intensify and UT gets pissed and cuts a ND type deal with the weakest P5 conference, the ACC. The Pac and B1G have to respond and without doing the various iterations I have to believe UConn finds a home along with some Big 12 remnant teams.

Let the UT bomb explode and see what happens. I'll hold my UConn cards and expect a B1G or even a ACC invite when its all done. If we get left out with Memphis (man you have to be on the pipe if you think Memphis gets a bid before us - (SERIOUSLY), then come what may at least we know our destiny.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Need one of three things from the B12 expansion process:

1. An invite.
2. A school moving from the ACC that creates one or more openings.
3. One school moving to the B1G that entices the B1G to add one from the Northeast.

Anything else invokes Rule #1.

Reaction Score
Need one of three things from the B12 expansion process:

1. An invite.
2. A school moving from the ACC that creates one or more openings.
3. One school moving to the B1G that entices the B1G to add one from the Northeast.

Anything else invokes Rule #1.
I would add full B12 dissolution and programs moving to other conferences. If all four went to 16, there'd be one B12 left over, or the ACC would have to go to 17. That would require that the moving B12 teams split up their new affiliations in a manner that evened out the conference scales. I have extreme difficulty seeing that happen, as it would require loads of coordination, concessions, and agreement among everyone about which schools go where, in order to arrive at four even conferences of 16. That won't happen. My guess is a full dissolution would result in odd numbers in some conferences, leaving a spot potentially available for us, or there being two or three B12 members left over that would at least make the AAC a bit more respectable.

Reaction Score
Berry Tramel: Please explain why a 10-team Big 12 won't work?

John Currie ‏@John_Currie · 5h5 hours ago
Great column from @BerryTramel on @Big12Conference #Big12

John Currie
@John_Currie
K-State Director of Athletics

Chris Del Conte ‏@_delconte · 5h5 hours ago
A worthy read for those that are interested
http://m.newsok.com/article/5431793

Chris Del Conte
@_delconte
Texas Christian University Director of Intercollegiate Athletics

Reaction Score

John Currie
@John_Currie

Chris Del Conte
@_delconte

Thanks. Interesting read. But, the article assumes that the NCAA will give authority for the XII to have a football championship game with only 10 members, which is not in the best interest of the other P5 conferences, and does not address the XII's biggest issue - the inequality in terms of revenue and power that U Texas has in comparison to the other XII members. Oklahoma can and would likely thrive away from the Longhorn's shadow in another conference (B1G, PAC or SEC) whereas Texas Tech needs the XII to stay together because if it does not and U Texas goes its own way, Texas Tech may find itself on the outside looking in. Not to mention that while BYU does move the needle, UConn may not move it in Oklahoma City (#45 in the US), UConn owns the Hartford/New Haven market (#30) and moves it in both NYC (#1) and Boston (#7).

Reaction Score
West Virginia and Louisville were both looking for life rafts when they joined their respective P5 leagues bit are now in hindsight looked at as perfect fits? Perception is everything and right now we appear "desperate" if you believe Tramell.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

John Currie
@John_Currie

Chris Del Conte
@_delconte

A great read and worthy of a look? It was hardly deep thinking. I guess UT make some phone calls to the sheeple.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thanks. Interesting read. But, the article assumes that the NCAA will give authority for the XII to have a football championship game with only 10 members, which is not in the best interest of the other P5 conferences, and does not address the XII's biggest issue - the inequality in terms of revenue and power that U Texas has in comparison to the other XII members. Oklahoma can and would likely thrive away from the Longhorn's shadow in another conference (B1G, PAC or SEC) whereas Texas Tech needs the XII to stay together because if it does not and U Texas goes its own way, Texas Tech may find itself on the outside looking in. Not to mention that while BYU does move the needle, UConn may not move it in Oklahoma City (#45 in the US), UConn owns the Hartford/New Haven market (#30) and moves it in both NYC (#1) and Boston (#7).

Myopia is a two way street. While most people in Connecticut look at the Big XII as "flyover country" please understand that they view Connecticut as an empty place between NY and Boston. While reality is that Morgantown VW really is an empty place between coal mines, the Big XII people know that WVU fans love them some college football. They don't see that from Connecticut.

Markets are irrelevant to the Big XII. They have no network and aren't likely to. So all this nonsense about UCF and the Florida market is just that, nonsense. Similarly UConn's location is straight negative. Terrible travel, no recruiting base, no base of Big XII alumni. That's what they are looking for. Don't apply the metrics that the B1G values to the Big XII, they are not the same, not even close. The Big XII wants a football school, in a football friendly location, where Big XII people/fans are likely to be. BYU is really the only school that fits for them, since they failed to lure FSU or Clemson.

I continue to believe that the B1G would really like to grab OU, KU and Mizzou and add UConn to them. Nebraska, OU, KU, Iowa and Mizzou absolutely lock up that region for the B1G. UConn plus Rutgers, plus Penn State and Maryland and many B1G Alumns in DC and NY create critical mass in the northeast. The quality of football and basketball would be pretty staggering.

Reaction Score
West Virginia and Louisville were both looking for life rafts when they joined their respective P5 leagues bit are now in hindsight looked at as perfect fits? Perception is everything and right now we appear "desperate" if you believe Tramell.

I don't know if I believe Tramell, but I DO feel "desperate!"

Reaction Score
We are not desparate?
Talk of UConn to the B12 certainly indicates desperation that we have little hope to get invited to either the ACC or B1G.The only P5 conferences that make sense for us.
Although ,pretending that we are a viable B12 candidate doesn't hurt

Reaction Score
We are bur so was everyone who got in on the last life rafts that went out. WVU, UL, TCU.

Reaction Score

How do you think lobbying is done in the academic world?

This is a serious question. I find enormous humor in this idea that Warde Manuel or Susan Herbst lost OUR ACC bid because they did not make a few phone calls in crucial weeks. Or went to Bermuda to watch our BB team.

This is about relationships. This is about nurturing OUR University and raising it's academic stature. No - as Berry Tramel of the Oklahoman states - our football prowess is down. But, I believe the B1G (and the Pac12 ... and divergently the SEC) are playing a far different game than the ACC or B12. This is about a reach of one conference in business relationships far into Academics and into the Brand/Sports Revenue. I believe the key outliers of the ACC and the B12 are targets ... particularly as the dollars disparity has gone from $22m to $50m. Change is coming.

Overtures. We are regularly connecting with presidents at B1G schools. We know Rutgers did for a half decade per FOIL disclosures.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
How do you think lobbying is done in the academic world?

This is a serious question. I find enormous humor in this idea that Warde Manuel or Susan Herbst lost OUR ACC bid because they did not make a few phone calls in crucial weeks. Or went to Bermuda to watch our BB team.

This is about relationships. This is about nurturing OUR University and raising it's academic stature. No - as Berry Tramel of the Oklahoman states - our football prowess is down. But, I believe the B1G (and the Pac12 ... and divergently the SEC) are playing a far different game than the ACC or B12. This is about a reach of one conference in business relationships far into Academics and into the Brand/Sports Revenue. I believe the key outliers of the ACC and the B12 are targets ... particularly as the dollars disparity has gone from $22m to $50m. Change is coming.

Overtures. We are regularly connecting with presidents at B1G schools. We know Rutgers did for a half decade per FOIL disclosures.
A reasonable assumption Pudge. But an assumption and sourced information are two different things.

Oh and regarding Ville's last minute very public and very loud campaign, the surest way to lose the deal is to assume it's done before it closes. I guess their campaigning could have been theater and the decision to take Louisville had already been made before the Virgin islands tournament, but why would they engage in all that public play acting if their spot had already been locked down?

Reaction Score
A reasonable assumption Pudge. But an assumption and sourced information are two different things.

Oh and regarding Ville's last minute very public and very loud campaign, the surest way to lose the deal is to assume it's done before it closes. I guess their campaigning could have been theater and the decision to take Louisville had already been made before the Virgin islands tournament, but why would they engage in all that public play acting if their spot had already been locked down?

To kick us in the teeth publically for sh&ts and giggles? Always remember Conference Realignment Rule #1.

Reaction Score
Santa J. Ono ‏@PrezOno · 6h6 hours ago
I awoke from a dream with the sound of rain pelting the roof. I was dreaming about Noah's Ark. Two Bearcats were getting on the Ark.

Santa J. Ono
@PrezOno
28th President of the University of Cincinnati.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom